Bagua again

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A lot of the knee issues are due to not having correct structure. If you are not properly sinking in the kua and sinking in the knees you will have problems.
If you are twisting your knee you will have problems. My teacher says always check your structure, feel where you are sinking.

But you are correct Blindsage many people practice incorrectly and develop knee problems in the internal arts.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And they very well might be, but a lot of people's aren't. Ever heard people say "I can't do Taiji, it hurts my knees?"

Yeah but they were all Southern Wu people :D

I do not doubt it happens, since it does happen in Taiji, but that is due to doing the stance wrong (training incorrectly) and I have no doubt that the same can be said of Bagauzhang as well.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah but they were all Southern Wu people :D
Well of course!

I do not doubt it happens, since it does happen in Taiji, but that is due to doing the stance wrong (training incorrectly) and I have no doubt that the same can be said of Bagauzhang as well.
Absolutely, and if you look at the way the mud stepping is done in the video (and in a LOT of bagua videos) you can see how it violates those same alignment principles that cause problems. The knees are out waaayyyy too far past the feet. A lot of bagua people do this because it looks good for demos and on camera, but it violates the principles they usually teach their own students.

Latest Discussions