Bad wallstreet occupyer behavior

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would one tell one of the unwashed protesters from a homeless guy?
:lol:

IMHO, a homeless guy, isn't nearly as likely to do something as intentionally provocative to a police car, no matter where it is located.

Maybe.

The truck in the background, though, is for Walter P. Sauer Furniture, also, coincidentally, in Brooklyn.....???

Still might be downtown Manhattan.....

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
mediaguideows.jpg

True story

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting read

Why No Demands - Occupy Wall Street is a Rebellion, Not a Protest ...newamericamedia.org/.../labor-stands-up-the-role-of-unions-on-the-n...
13 hours ago - Rebellions don't have demands. As we wrote in the editorial that appeared in the second edition of The Occupied Wall Street Journal on Saturday: “We are ....

"It is not a protest. It’s an occupation. Rebellions don’t have demands. "

I reference the US Constitution, specifically Article 3, Section 3:
Section 3 - Treason

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

Article 1, Section 9
"The privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it."

Congress has the power to "suppress Insurrections".

Also those involved risk the revocation of their citizenship, and a ban on public office as a result.

The US Constitution. I wonder how many of these hired protester have read that document. It's a long read, 19 pages. Could take some of them months I suspect, if their math skills are any indication of their reading skills.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This thread is officially the Twilight Zone. Conservatives are defending government regulation and wasteful spending!

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Where in the world are you seeing that???? The conservatives on here have been saying that too much govt control and wasteful spending got us into this and aren`t going to get us out. How did you miss that point? Is it just that we have very different ideas of what actually constitutes wasteful spending? (Before you seemed to be in favor of drastically cutting the defense budget, so that could be the case if you consider that wasteful. Most of us don`t)

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Am I the only one who immediately thought of Gilda Radner`s long running gag on the old SNL? They`d play members of a latino street gang and whenever anyone called them a gang she`d say "It`s not a gang. It`s a club."

Anybody? .......No?....*sigh* (man, I feel old.)

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Am I the only one who immediately thought of Gilda Radner`s long running gag on the old SNL? They`d play members of a latino street gang and whenever anyone called them a gang she`d say "It`s not a gang. It`s a club."

Anybody? .......No?....*sigh* (man, I feel old.)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's some real solution options, taken in part from the Pizza Party's 2012 platform (being discussed now):

1 - Eliminate the complex income tax system entirely for individuals.
Doing this will remove all the 'loop holes', 'tax credits' and 'unfair advantages' across the board.

2 - Institute a Federal Sales Tax rate of 20%.
The following would be exempt:
- services.
- raw food
- medicine
- baby care, including clothing, diapers, formula and food.
- Necessary utilities. These would be gas, electric, water, heat oil, propane, land line telephones.
Revenues under this system would be 5% greater than under the existing system, serve the purpose of putting extra money in every American's paychecks, allow "the poor" more immediate cash while safeguarding necessities remain affordable. It also puts more of a tax burden on those who spend the most on luxury items such as high end cars or giant tvs.

3 - Eliminate all "death taxes" allowing Americans to pass on their wealth to family.
The current system is abused, and serves to limit lower income American's abilities to pass on the fruits of their labors to their children. While the system as is is well intended, it is broken and needs to be eliminated.

4 - Create a Federal Hospital System to work as a national base-care system to provide low and no cost base and emergency care to all citizens.
This is not a replacement for the current system, but a complete overhaul.
Existing private insurance would be able to continue, however it would restructure to provide more high-end care.
The FHS would be staffed by doctors, nurses and technicians who work a standard 40 hour week at a fair wage for 10 years, in return for free school and training, and a salary while they train. After their time-in is served, they are free to stay or go into private practice.

5 - Social Security restructuring.
Money paid into the system would remain in the system, put in escrow for the future. No more dipping into it allowed. Past IOU's are to be paid back into the system, with reasonable interest. This would result in the current system becoming quite solvent.

6 - Border Security
The Southern Border would be immediately strengthened, with additional agents deployed to combat intrusion. They would be augmented by active duty military and National Guard units as needed, with unmanned drones patrolling much of the border. Hostiles will be met with overwhelming force. Civilians will be given all reasonable humanitarian aid, and returned speedily to their respective embassies.

7 - Revamp Education
To create the future, one must dream. We must encourage people to dream again, while balancing that with the tools to live. People must be allowed to be creative, and trained in entrepreneurial concepts.

8 - Make Medical Care Affordable
#4 covers some of the problem, but not all.
- Hospitals must be audited to ensure that billing is accurate. Errors in billing cost Americans Billions of dollars in over payments each year.
- Medicaid and Medicare must be revamped. There is an estimated 60% fraud in the system, stealing aid from both the tax payers and Americans who need the help the most. Fraud must be punished, freeing funding to go where it is most needed.
- Drug companies enjoy a monopoly on drugs for years, and can extend that by making miner tweaks. This loophole must be closed, and generics allowed on the market.

9 - The redefinition of Corporations as people should be reversed.

10 - Return the election of Senators to the States and re balance the power in the Federal Government

11 - The Lobbyist system needs to be rethought. Campaign contributions from lobby groups should be eliminated, the ability of a government servent to become a lobbyist and vice versa should also be restricted, with no GS allowed to become a lobbyist for at least 1 year after leaving office. This "No Conflict Clause" is similar to Non-Compete Clauses in use in business today.

12 - The Federal Budget should be gone through line by line with serious attention to fat, and trimmed back to reasonable levels.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1 Vote for Post#193 ... but of course I am not eligible being over on this side of the Pond :(. I like what I read there, Senator Hubbard, some of which I have referenced myself in the past as being things that would be beneficial.

One adaptation you might want to consider is on the Health Care side of things. A major problem that I hear about in the American insurance funded health care system is that it promotes an approach where emergency care and treatment for conditions once they manifest can be very good. But preventative and palliative medicine is very poor, leading to eventually higher medical expense than if there were an American version of the NHS in existence to deal with such patients.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1 Vote for Post#193 ... but of course I am not eligible being over on this side of the Pond :(. I like what I read there, Senator Hubbard, some of which I have referenced myself in the past as being things that would be beneficial.

One adaptation you might want to consider is on the Health Care side of things. A major problem that I hear about in the American insurance funded health care system is that it promotes an approach where emergency care and treatment for conditions once they manifest can be very good. But preventative and palliative medicine is very poor, leading to eventually higher medical expense than if there were an American version of the NHS in existence to deal with such patients.

The system which Arni and I banged out a while back allows for such things. It covers routine basic and preventative care, at low to no out of pocket to citizens, while allowing those who want more to pay for more. There are reasons the guys my VP running mate. :D I've run this idea by a number of doctors and they like it. Of course, most are still after years in practice paying down massive school loans so the idea of paid training and a regular check appeals to them. lol

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Here's some real solution options, taken in part from the Pizza Party's 2012 platform (being discussed now):

1 - Eliminate the complex income tax system entirely for individuals.
Doing this will remove all the 'loop holes', 'tax credits' and 'unfair advantages' across the board.
Agreed!
2 - Institute a Federal Sales Tax rate of 20%.
The following would be exempt:
- services.
- raw food
- medicine
- baby care, including clothing, diapers, formula and food.
- Necessary utilities. These would be gas, electric, water, heat oil, propane, land line telephones.
Revenues under this system would be 5% greater than under the existing system, serve the purpose of putting extra money in every American's paychecks, allow "the poor" more immediate cash while safeguarding necessities remain affordable. It also puts more of a tax burden on those who spend the most on luxury items such as high end cars or giant tvs.
As I said before, I'm in favor of an income tax over a consumption/sales tax. I mentioned the main reason in another thread. Essentially, tying taxes to consumption creates a dependence on spending. The times when we need programs the most will become exactly the same times when tax dollars are at their lowest. We set up a boom/bust cycle that will be difficult to weather. Just about every State with a sales tax and no income tax now is experiencing this shortfall of government monies.
3 - Eliminate all "death taxes" allowing Americans to pass on their wealth to family.
The current system is abused, and serves to limit lower income American's abilities to pass on the fruits of their labors to their children. While the system as is is well intended, it is broken and needs to be eliminated.
This is simple propaganda. Whether you call it an Estate tax or a Death tax, this tax in no way limits lower income American's. At all. In fact, this is probably the one tax we have left that only affects wealthy people. Not even wealthy people. The WEALTHIEST of the wealthy. I encourage everyone to read this document regarding the Estate Tax. It's very understandable and debunks the entire campaign of misinformation regarding "death" tax. Even calling it a death tax is disingenuous. While we all die, only a handful of us will have sizable estates to pass on to our kids that are large enough to qualify for an estate tax. I take that back. NO ONE on these boards will qualify... well, maybe Elder999 :).
4 - Create a Federal Hospital System to work as a national base-care system to provide low and no cost base and emergency care to all citizens.
Existing private insurance would be able to continue, however it would restructure to provide more high-end care.
The FHS would be staffed by doctors, nurses and technicians who work a standard 40 hour week at a fair wage for 10 years, in return for free school and training, and a salary while they train. After their time-in is served, they are free to stay or go into private practice.
This is a very interesting idea. I'm going to have to think about this one for a while. It borders on brilliant, but I wonder at how private insurance would be restructured, and I'm skeptical when I see vague references to "high end care." First thing that came to mind is the Stephen Kind novella, Running Man. :)
Money paid into the system would remain in the system, put in escrow for the future. No more dipping into it allowed. Past IOU's are to be paid back into the system, with reasonable interest. This would result in the current system becoming quite solvent.
I'm all for this, but I'd also recommend eliminating the earnings cap on FICA, taxing ALL income rather than just the first 100k or so. I'd also eliminate the maximum annual benefit, and add an additional tier to the payment computation. Doing this alone would eliminate any solvency issues.
6 - Border Security
The Southern Border would be immediately strengthened, with additional agents deployed to combat intrusion. They would be augmented by active duty military and National Guard units as needed, with unmanned drones patrolling much of the border. Hostiles will be met with overwhelming force. Civilians will be given all reasonable humanitarian aid, and returned speedily to their respective embassies.
Something needs to be done along the Mexican border.
7 - Revamp Education
To create the future, one must dream. We must encourage people to dream again, while balancing that with the tools to live. People must be allowed to be creative, and trained in entrepreneurial concepts.
Revamp is too strong. While there are things that can be done, we have working models of public education throughout our country. We need to fix what needs to be fixed, but to pretend that the entire system is broken is alarmist, IMO. My kids are thriving in public schools, as I believe most do. Can we do better? Of course. But change doesn't have to be radical to be effective.
8 - Make Medical Care Affordable
#4 covers some of the problem, but not all.
- Hospitals must be audited to ensure that billing is accurate. Errors in billing cost Americans Billions of dollars in over payments each year.
- Medicaid and Medicare must be revamped. There is an estimated 60% fraud in the system, stealing aid from both the tax payers and Americans who need the help the most. Fraud must be punished, freeing funding to go where it is most needed.
- Drug companies enjoy a monopoly on drugs for years, and can extend that by making miner tweaks. This loophole must be closed, and generics allowed on the market.
I agree with this, but I want to point out that most of the fraud is within the system, NOT by the recipients. There are fraudulent patients, but the real crime is being done by medical professionals.
9 - The redefinition of Corporations as people should be reversed.
AMEN!
10 - Return the election of Senators to the States and re balance the power in the Federal Government
Not sure what this means.
11 - The Lobbyist system needs to be rethought. Campaign contributions from lobby groups should be eliminated, the ability of a government servent to become a lobbyist and vice versa should also be restricted, with no GS allowed to become a lobbyist for at least 1 year after leaving office. This "No Conflict Clause" is similar to Non-Compete Clauses in use in business today.
And super pacs should require mandatory disclosure of donors and etc and so on. Absolutely. Someone just yesterday... can't remember who... suggested that politicians be made to wear jackets that are covered in patches announcing endorsements, so that you know who's paying them. Like NASCAR. :)
12 - The Federal Budget should be gone through line by line with serious attention to fat, and trimmed back to reasonable levels.
Good luck with this. I agree in theory, but there are so many hands in the pot, there's little incentive to change.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Allow those who wish to to opt out of social security, with the understanding that monies already paid in will not be repaid and there is NO way to reverse the opting out.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh HELL NO. The federal government cannot deliver the friggin mail without losing BILLIONS of dollars, they need to stay the F out of medicine.
6 - Border Security
Change that to all borders and ports...

hahahaha, oh, you were serious?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Allow those who wish to to opt out of social security, with the understanding that monies already paid in will not be repaid and there is NO way to reverse the opting out.
Nope. While it's really fun to get tough and hardnosed, say things like, "Well, if they don't save, that's their choice." It's really not. If people aren't compelled to contribute to their retirement, many... too many, will retire on our dime, not theirs. If it's not compulsory, it's called welfare. Just look at how many people can choose to contribute to a 401k but don't.

Prior to Social Security, the poverty rate for senior citizens was over 75%. Now, it's under 10%. You can argue that Social Security isn't constitutional. You can debate the best ways to address long term solvency. But there are some facts that are indisputable. One is that Social Security has been an overwhelming success. And this success is almost entirely because participation for over 98% of Americans is compulsory. As Twin Fist is fond of saying, facts is facts. And it is a fact that Social Security has had a profoundly positive impact on senior poverty in our country.