Backyard fight between teenagers-mixed feelings

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh yeah real fun...if these guys land hard shots on each other and knock the other out and get concussions I doubt any of their dumb friends will care and they'll go home and carry on as normal when these could get serious consequences. Or one gets knocked out and smashes his head off the ground dies instantly. Yeah so much fun ai

As my Dad used to say, "it's all good fun until someone gets hurt"

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Oh yeah real fun...if these guys land hard shots on each other and knock the other out and get concussions I doubt any of their dumb friends will care and they'll go home and carry on as normal when these could get serious consequences. Or one gets knocked out and smashes his head off the ground dies instantly. Yeah so much fun ai
I would never have pegged you as a helicopter parent. Can't wrap kids in bubble wrap and expect them to be resilient and self reliant.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would never have pegged you as a helicopter parent. Can't wrap kids in bubble wrap and expect them to be resilient and self reliant.
No I'm not I'm also not a stupid parent either

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No I'm not I'm also not a stupid parent either
Parenting is a sort of pass/fail thing. But we are seeing the problems with overprotection now, as we have a generation of kids who are entitled and afraid of risk or failure. Fortunately the gen z kids are righting the ship. They're a bunch of risk takers, and good on them.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Parenting is a sort of pass/fail thing. But we are seeing the problems with overprotection now, as we have a generation of kids who are entitled and afraid of risk or failure. Fortunately the gen z kids are righting the ship. They're a bunch of risk takers, and good on them.

Call me old fashioned but I think it's stupid kids beating each other up in an uncontrolled environment causing serious risk of being paralysed or brain damaged. If kids want to train in gyms and spar hard there and then compete in fights then fine but this kind of thing is simply dumb

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

There is a big difference between taking risks and doing something stupid for no reason. Fighting as they were with minimal training and gear and nobody to oversee the fight is stupid. Yes there is always a risk of injury when sparring but the key is to a) understand those risks, and b) minimise them as much as possible. These kids clearly have done neither of those here.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Call me old fashioned but I think it's stupid kids beating each other up in an uncontrolled environment causing serious risk of being paralysed or brain damaged. If kids want to train in gyms and spar hard there and then compete in fights then fine but this kind of thing is simply dumb
That's actually new fashioned. Old fashioned is understanding that kids aren't like delicate China.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

No but you can put lots of cardboard flats in layers on the ground, if you are too cheap or broke to buy mats. And wear mouthpieces, and sparing head gear.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There is a big difference between taking risks and doing something stupid for no reason. Fighting as they were with minimal training and gear and nobody to oversee the fight is stupid. Yes there is always a risk of injury when sparring but the key is to a) understand those risks, and b) minimise them as much as possible. These kids clearly have done neither of those here.
I agree and yet I don't have a problem with kids doing mildly stupid things. Some people are risk averse and thats fine. What they did wasn't completely safe. It also wasnt all that smart. But theyre not straling cars, shooting heroin or running with gangs. There are things that they could get into thst are actually dangerous.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

No Ref on duty! Brawl at your own risk!

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's actually new fashioned. Old fashioned is understanding that kids aren't like delicate China.
Yeah and like I said I have no problems with them fighting properly but acting like idiots in a garden with minimal protection no referee or anyone to break it up, no first aid is just plain dumb...there's enough dangers in proper legitimate competitive fights let alone a couple of untrained guys and their idiot mates filming it.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree and yet I don't have a problem with kids doing mildly stupid things. Some people are risk averse and thats fine. What they did wasn't completely safe. It also wasnt all that smart. But theyre not straling cars, shooting heroin or running with gangs. There are things that they could get into thst are actually dangerous.
Fighting is dangerous. Boxing in a ring with a ref, doctors, rules, commissioners is dangerous fighting in a back garden with no insurance, no rules, no medical help and minimal protection is just stupid

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No but you can put lots of cardboard flats in layer on the ground, if you are too cheap or broke to buy mats. And wear mouthpieces, and sparing head gear.
Absolutely.

Let me try to clarify my opinion here. I agree with you guys that this is pretty dumb. I just don't happen to believe that it's any dumber than any other thing that kids can get into. I also think kids should be expected and encouraged to take some risk in life. Our job as parents isn't to protect them from everything that can cause them harm or prevent them from making mistakes. Our job is to do our best to ensure that the mistakes are ones they can overcome and help them become better people, not worse.

In this case, I don't see a ton of risk here. There is some risk, and TSDTexan makes some easy, smart suggestions. But overall, kids are resilient, and this isn't any more dangerous than anything else.

Way I see it, as long as they're not taking it too far, I have no real problem with it. And from that video, it didn't cross that threshold for me.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah and like I said I have no problems with them fighting properly but acting like idiots in a garden with minimal protection no referee or anyone to break it up, no first aid is just plain dumb...there's enough dangers in proper legitimate competitive fights let alone a couple of untrained guys and their idiot mates filming it.
Smart kids do a lot of dumb things. And I think when we are overprotective and keep kids from doing every dumb thing that's out there, they become adults who are afraid to do anything dumb, ending up fearful, overly conservative and risk averse.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No Ref on duty! Brawl at your own risk!
You remind me of all the times we went swimming in places where there wasn't a life guard. Or explored in the woods without a map or a compass. Or in Louisiana, swam in a lake with the water moccasins and snapping turtles. The world is a dangerous place. Protecting kids from all risk doesn't teach them to live in a dangerous world. It isn't fair to kids to do that. They enter the world woefully unprepared for adversity or failure, and as a result have not learned to be resilient or resourceful.

To reiterate, I think instead of trying to protect kids from all stupid risk, the real goal is to keep them from doing stupid things from which they will not be able to recover. The areas where we should have zero tolerance are in matters of integrity. Stupidity is not just negotiable, it should be expected and in some cases encouraged.

Latest Discussions