Backbone to self defense

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I wrestled, I never once felt like my life was in danger. Big difference between that and self defense--apples and oranges.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I liked the example of the chess game there. But something that needs to be remembered, is if you go into a chess game without understanding how all the pieces move, and what the rules are, you'll lose. No question. Once you have that foundation, then, of course, play the game, and get better.

I believe it is on this specific point that you and I have generally been miscommunicating, HH. Otherwise, I am in total agreement with you on the points addressed in the video you've provided.

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many people have expressed their opinions, and that is the only reason I started this thread. So what do you think the role of sparring is, and again I am not talking about that little game of tag that is too often seen passing for sparring.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
Look out for MJ, she's a biter. ~Oh my beloved ice cream bar...how I love to lick your creamy center!
*giggle* you've just gotta bite into that thing!

R

RCastillo

Rob Broad said:
Many people have expressed their opinions, and that is the only reason I started this thread. So what do you think the role of sparring is, and again I am not talking about that little game of tag that is too often seen passing for sparring.

For developing courage, spirit. It certainly worked for me. :)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
90% or more of good "self defense" involves good tactical awareness rather then martial technique.

So, I'd say learning good tactical awareness is the backbone of good self defense.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:

Now...if you are wanting to develop good martial skills, then live training is nessicary. I am not talking about putting on gear and playing tag, or sport martial arts...I am just talking about live training. This is achieved through sparring or semi-sparring. :supcool:

btw..."self-defense" and being a good martial artist or "fighter" or athelete are often confused as being one in the same....they are not.

PAUL

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
*giggle* you've just gotta bite into that thing!

*chomp*!

Rob, thanks for bringing things back to center. I think the purpose of sparring is to get people used to contact, establish an instinctive and spontaneous sense of range and timing.

HH, I just watched that video (seen it before), and if that's what you're talking about, then we're in more agreement than when I initially read your post. I just don't think sparring's the end-all-be-all of self defense training. As Flatlander said, you've got to have the moves memorized first before you can use them masterfully.

F

Firona

The first time you spar (or the first time I sparred at least) there is this sick feeling in your stomach and everything seems a little out of control. As things progress this goes away, you become confident. People eventually become used to this feeling of confidence and then they can more easily use moves or try new things. However when being attacked in the street it is different, that sick feeling (nervousness) can come back and mess you up or perhaps your mind goes blank because someone draws a knife at you etc. This leads me to believe that the backbone to self defence is confidence, the ability to know what to do when you need to do it and to do it effectively comes straight from being confident. So in my opinion sparring, which builds this confidence, is very effective for providing the backbone but when it comes straight down to it it isn't the only factor. it's all in the mind.

G

gyaku-zuki queen

I agree with WlMantisKid (sorry if i spelled that wrong) . good basics are the backbone. if you are good at sparring thats good too, but you cant be good at sparring unless you have the basics down.

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have seen several people who have had spectacular basics, but couldn't defend themselves if their life depended on it. I have also seen punks in the street who had horrible technique in their punches that have weathered many a street battle.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
I have seen several people who have had spectacular basics, but couldn't defend themselves if their life depended on it. I have also seen punks in the street who had horrible technique in their punches that have weathered many a street battle.
To me it is all in the mindset some people don't train there mind enough for the street.

PPKO:EG: :ticked: :waah:

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The most basic thing of all about self-defense? Actively being ready, at any moment, to defend yourself with everything you've got if that's what it will take.

I think the first thing is mental, although for people training MA from the womb, this might not be an issue. But giving yourself permission to instantly smash someone's nose in (or what have you), rather than getting tied up in the "what's going on? oh no. oh no! what do I do!"

Then knowing yourself and what you can do.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
ppko said:
To me it is all in the mindset some people don't train there mind enough for the street.

I agree, we had a fight comp at our Dojo recently, with some fighters especially beginners, all technique went out the window and it was more like scrapping.

When I talked to a few people after they said once they got in the ring, a combination of nerves/adrenaline kicked in and it was just about winning but they forgot every thing they have learnt.

I think until up put yourself in that situation maybe tournaments as well, it is hard to judge how you would react in a real life situation.

I think it could be different for people who have trained from a young age compared to those that start as an adult, that whole muscle memory thing.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
Again I will ask, what is the role of sparring?
If done properly sparing will teach you how to calm your nerves and how to take a punch, but I don't believe that sparring should be a major part of training

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would say that sparring has a few valuable roles. To begin with, in the beginner spar, it allows the student to rid themselves of inhibition, develop confidence, and understand the nature and importance of timing.

When starting out, a beginner will generally feel timid about trying to apply their techniques, and fear getting hurt. As well, they will lack the confidence to move in, and meet the attack. But after being exposed to this in a lively setting, and seeing the punch come at them repeated times, they begin to lose that fear, and become confident that they can protect themselves.

After these initial fears and inhibitions can be overcome, the spar can then take on a new dynamic. The student can begin to become aware of what is really happenning during the spar, and that's where the real learning begins. They can see what works, what doesn't work, what needs work. They can begin to understand the truths of the dynamics, and realize the value of their footwork and positioning. They learn why balance is crucial, and how to steal it from their opponent.

Later, the spar can assist in refinement. Refinement of timing, of dynamic accuracy, and of tactical awareness. They can begin to lead and bait the opponent, in order to maintain control.

All of this comes out of the spar. None of these principles can be fully realized without it.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Later, the spar can assist in refinement. Refinement of timing, of dynamic accuracy, and of tactical awareness. They can begin to lead and bait the opponent, in order to maintain control.

All of this comes out of the spar. None of these principles can be fully realized without it.

I think you bring up some really good points. When I first started sparring (6 months ago) I was really afraid, have never been hit before. I had to train my flinch reflex and change an overwhelming flight impulse to stay and fight.

Whenever I got hit I would just want to run away rather then focusing on the sparring. I’m getting better now and my confidence is growing, it has also helped my Imagination, and of cause this is due to the sparring, and some really helpful people being very patient with me.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Zepp said:
Sparring is necessary for developing your martial skills. But I don't believe that martial skill is the backbone of self-defense.
Than what is the backbone of self-defense I have already put down my oppinion