Back in training after knee surgery...

KrisInTx

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

It's been awhile since I have posted...alot happening to me! Sometimes life just gets in the way, doesn't it?!?!? I've just started back training for about a week now. I had lateral release and meniscus repair on my left knee Aug. 28th. I'm just now getting back to training. Surgery wasn't quite the "cake walk" I hoped it would be. Just not bouncing back as easily as I did in my younger years! But I'm taking it slow and listening to my knee (I still don't trust it yet). So glad to be back, though! I had myself a small pity party for the time I was out. Didn't realize how hard it would be! I missed that smelly old dojo! Am I crazy or what? Thanks to everyone for all the well wishes during my surgery! I hope soon I can be telling ya'll of the passing of my next rank exam.

Thanks to all!
KrisInTx

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad you are back!

Coincidentally, I had a student who had knee surgery 8 weeks ago and she visited the class last night. She's got a nasty scar on her right knee and it is still puffy and discolored. She says in 2-3 weeks she'll be back though only to do light workouts (no sparring, no bouncing).

Are you doing any physical therapy outside of TKD?

Miles

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
KrisInTx,

Glad you are back! I wish I had been active in TKD before my knee surgery years back. Mine was similar to yours, lateral release, medial meniscus and just for fun I tore my ACL too. I totally understand about "not trusting" your new knee. Something funny happened to me when I was a yellow belt. My surgery was on my right knee in 2000. One night in TKD we were doing some drills and I subluxed my left knee. I was always "compensating" for my right knee I think, I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not, but know I consider my right knee my "good" knee.

Bottom line, take it slow, ease into it, and listen to your body! Glad you are back too!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KristenTx take it easy and in no time you will be back to the normal fighter you was. Remember to ice the knee after working out.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad to have you back, Kris in Tx. It'll definitely take a while to get back to being comfortable. Best wishes!

OP
KrisInTx

KrisInTx

White Belt
Reaction score
My doc referred me to PT. The therapist had me in for about 3 wks and I actually can do all the same things at home so he released me. I do the PT excercises at home now (straight leg raises with weights, stretching, etc.) and ride a stationary bike everyday. I go to the dojo & train Mon, Wed & Fri. Slow going, but hopefully I'll get back to "normal" soon!

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Best of luck to you. I was told that I would need about 12 micro orthoscopics over the next 3-5. Please be careful. I have made my hips and hamstrings very flexible to compensate.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome Back..

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome back to training Kris! Take it slow & you'll be fine.

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi KrisInTx,
I started MA to help in recovering from a knee injury. I had complete tears of the left and right meniscus as well as the patella tendon in the same knee.

I also didn't trust my "bad" knee - I know exactly how you feel. I babied it and as a result the "good" knee would end up being really sore because it was working harder than it should.

After talking with the instructors, I finally ended up approaching it that I wouldn't baby the bad one, that I would just do as much as I could with the bad one and stop for the night. I'd come back next class and try to do a little bit more with the bad one and incrementally work to building it up. The instructors were very understanding and they didn't call me a slacker or think of me as a wimp.

I pretty much have equal confidence in both knees now.

Bottom line, take it slow, ease into it, and listen to your body!
I think this is great advice and couldn't put in any better myself.

Hope things work out well for you.

Latest Discussions