Back from the JKI...

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just got back from the JKI Tournament in Long Beach CA. and all the students did really well. We took a total of 12 students, all Jr's. from our dojang in San Jose.

The total medal break down was as follows.

Gold - 14 (9 in sparring, 5 in poomsae)
Silver - 6 (1 in sparring, 5 in poomsae)
Bronze - 2 (1 in sparring, 1 in poomsae)

On a personal note, my son took Gold in sparring and Silver in poomsae. My daughter took Gold in sparring and Bronze in poomsae.

My son had 3 matches the scores were Match 1 (12 - 0), Match 2 (16 - 1), and the finals Match (7 - 4)

My daughter had 2 matches. The first match was (6 - 3) and the second was (4 - 0)

Both fight black belt.

I was very proud of the entire team that we took.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very cool! I'm glad you guys had a good time and such awesome success. :)

Peace,
Erik

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
ATC, that is just freaking awesome. I heard there was some pretty good competition there. Congratulations to your school and to your kids.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have posted the following to our Team-X Facebook site:

===

So you want to know how Team-X did at the 20th Annual Jimmy Kim Invitational which was held this past Saturday, Sept 26 and the Walter Pyramid on the campus of California State University of Long Beach?

Well, we took 11 athletes all for black belt sparring only. The quick break down of the medal count was:

3 Bronze
3 Silver
5 Gold

I took some really great pictures during the first round of Kaylie's fight. Probably the greatest pictures I have ever taken. In between rounds I went to scan through the pictures to admire my greatness as a photographer and I was horrified to discover that my camera was without a CF card. Sure enough, I left it at home. So sorry folks, no great action shots from this event.

Here are the detailed results:

Kaylie Christy won BRONZE in the 10-11 year old under 65 pound black belts.
Celeena Grosso won SILVER in the 10-11 year old 90-102 pound black belts.
Kyle Silva won BRONZE in the 12-13 year old 75-87 pound black belts.
Nelson Morales won SILVER in the 12-13 year old 100-112 pound black belts.
Olivia Bryant won GOLD in the 12-13 year old 94-106 pound black belts.
Alexxis Grosso won GOLD in the 12-13 year old 106-120 pound black belts.
Deireanne Morales fought up in age as a 13 year old and won GOLD in the 14-17 year old 101-108 pound black belts.
Nicolette Vallejo won BRONZE in the 14-17 year old 108-114 pound black belts.
Joe Grosso won GOLD in the 14-17 year old 121-130 pound black belts.
Tatyana Vallejo won GOLD in the 14-17 year old 121-130 pound black belts.
Samantha Braun fought up in age as a 16 year old and won SILVER in the 18-32 year old 121-130 pound black belts.

I suppose the next event will be the US Open in February. I would like to think that we might get to another event between now and then, but we will see what comes up.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
See now, that is why we did not show up. Between you and ATC all the good medals were taken, damn.

See you both at the Open, eh?

BTW, congrats to you too Chuck. Give Sam my best.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
You guys did awesome Mango. Congrats to you and your team. See all you guys at the US Open.

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My master took some students. I'm not sure how everything went other than that he didn't get to coach one of his two top black belt competitors - kinda hard when they're competing at the same time.

Latest Discussions