attend training or not?

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
well my grading to 2nd geup is 2 days later, and tomorrow there's gonna be training [as usual]. i don't know if i should go because during the same training last week i ended up being on 2 days medical leave due to inability to walk thanks to my busted super sore quads. i'm afraid that if i do go for training tomorrow i may get super sore quads and some other injuries which will affect my grading. yes, no? D:

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
well my grading to 2nd geup is 2 days later, and tomorrow there's gonna be training [as usual]. i don't know if i should go because during the same training last week i ended up being on 2 days medical leave due to inability to walk thanks to my busted super sore quads. i'm afraid that if i do go for training tomorrow i may get super sore quads and some other injuries which will affect my grading. yes, no? D:

I say train lightly. What are you guys doing that your quads are so sore?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm with DP on this. Train light. Don't go "all out" but just go light.

All my best to you.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
week before a test I tell my students to go lightly, just move through the stuff, dont try to bust it up.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Our BB candidates are put through a hell week before their test, but they do get a day or two of rest prior to any testing. Save your energy for the test.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think a person should change up their training before testing. If you try to protect yourself from getting injured in training, are you carrying that over to everything else you do in life in the few days before testing? Probably not unless you completly isolate yourself in a bubble.

Who knows, you could eat something that gives you food poisoning the night before you test, so does that mean you shouldn't eat?

Perhaps you will get in a car accident on your way to test, so does that mean you should not drive?

If you walk to testing because you are afraid to drive, perhaps you will trip over something and sprain your ankle.

Seriously, I think we can come up with millions of things that you could possibly do that would cause injury in the 24 hours leading up to testing, that you would not consider avoiding. So why avoid regular training?

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
MM -- I get the point your making...and it is a valid one. I think the issue is that if the OP deos his reular training, he might nor hve enough time to recover prior to his test in order to perform at his best.

So, how deos one stay consistent in one's training and nto over do it?

Welp, I would suggest really planning out your training. Set some goals (belt tests can be predicted to a certain extent....or it could be tournaments...anything really) decide what it is you have to be able to do at that time, and then work your training around that.

for instance, I'm trying to get ready for Seniro Nationals in July. I knew I had to work on my strength and conditioning as well as my sparring. I've spent a lot of time qorking on my foundation strength and anaerobic cardio as well as tweaking my diet. Going into May, my training is goign to be more "sport specific"...with my workouts reflecting that (less super-heavy strenght based lifting...more endurance based stuff...maintainning current strength and building speed). As I we get into June the intesnity of my cardio work will steaduly increase. then towzards the end of June I'll keep it at a maintenance level.

I'll do less SD work in calss and more bag work and footwork drills as time goes on. And I'll keep thigns at amiantenance level the last week or so prior to the competition.

After that, then my training will be to get ready for 2nd dan test. I'll revamp things again to focus on acheiving what I need to do for taht test in October...starting with builing my base July-August, then working on more specific areas of need in September and then builfing up a maintencance routine going into October.

Hope taht makes sense. Basically, take a longer range view of your training and try to work towards specific goals. Then you can plan out how thigns shoudl go and strike a happy medium and better avoid over-training, injury and the like.

Peace,
Erik

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I understand training based on a goal and adjusting training to be at the optimum performance level for an event like a competition or testing. But to just avoid training so as to not get injured... at what point do you cut yourself off?

Do you not train the day before because you might stub your toe?

Do you not train a week before because you might strain a muscle?

Do you not train a month before because you might severly pull a muscle?

Do you not train 2 months before because you might break a bone?

Do you not train 6 months before because you might tear your ACL?

I think a person should not alter their training schedule because they might get injured. If the plan is/was to start tapering off in the days leading up to testing or competition than that is fine. But to just suddenly decide not to train because you might get hurt... Well getting hurt comes with the territory in TKD

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Point taken...and you're absolutely correct. However, for the OP...it's too late to plan ahead. If the latest regualr training sessions are leaving him really sore, then maybe avoiding that class teh day before a etst is wise.

In the future, he should plan for that and work that into his schedule.

I think we're pretty much sayign the same thing here. :) Don't avoid training hard because of injury...just work tpering off and adjusting training into your shcedule like you would class or a workout.

On a sie note, in preparation for my 1st dan test...I put the following plan in place. I planned to stop heavy weights the week of the test (just light bodyweight stuff and elliptical for cardio). I stuck to a healthy diet....I also took the day before and the day of the test (it was Friday) off of work. Why? Didn't want to get clocked by a client and get injured (sure it could've happened before..but I figured that in the event it happened, two days was enough time to recover from most tings)...also it gave me time to relax and avoid unnnecessary stress and stay focused. I zalso went light in class that week and did no sparring...because of the chance of injury that I couldn't overcome in a day or two. I went back to regular schedule starting Sunday (needed Saturday to recover from the test :D)

In short, make rest/recovery a part of your training plan. In the short term, avoid those things which might interfere with you accomplishing your goal.

Peace,
Erik

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
6normaly I's say go, but in this case I'd say skip it in favor of something easy, like swimming laps, review forms and other techniques.

No need to get yourself busted up before testing. But down the road you should try to figure out what gets you hurt, and attempt to avoid that. Age is not kind to injuries!

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do try to train hard leading up to a test, myself. I usually don't do too much the day before though. And, I ALWAYS go a little easy in training the week after I test. ;-)

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
What?

I understand holding back in training when its a tournament. But for testing? Personally I think thats crazy. Your teacher will know what and if something happened in class. I cant imagine any of the traditional or lets call them old timers will agree with this.
Train, train harder and train more.

Remember you are not training for the belts.

Dave O.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What?

I understand holding back in training when its a tournament. But for testing? Personally I think thats crazy. Your teacher will know what and if something happened in class. I cant imagine any of the traditional or lets call them old timers will agree with this.
Train, train harder and train more.

Remember you are not training for the belts.

Dave O.

L
O
L

Tournaments come around on a regular basis, but grading?

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think it shows instructors a lack of commitment to skip the class before testing. However, I do agree that you should take care not to over exert yourself so you are able to complete your testing. We call this listening to our bodies at my school.

Latest Discussions