Training after an injury?

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
I broke my BIG toe in June at a tournament - it was bad - displaced (complete) fracture, surgery, screws, no walking on that foot for 6 wks.

Now I'm trying to go back to TKD after 2 months of being out (this time with the karate shoes instead of bare feet per my instructor) and am finding I have no balance on that side, cannot pivot on that foot and am extremely frustrated - I do have some muscle atrophy.

Does anybody have any ideas on what I can do to streghten that side of my body? Could I just be afraid of breaking my toe again?

I'm 42 and afraid I'm not gonna get past this .... I was supposed to test for my 1st degree level 2 this month but now I can't

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ouch.

OK, 2 things:

Yes, it could be in your head. It sounds like you had a very unpleasant time! and as we age, we can't afford these types of lay ups anymore. They take longer to heal and take us further back.

yes, you got weaker during your lay up. Damn old age, but we take longer to get in shape and lose it quicker. Not to mention surgery messes things up, no matter how skilled the surgeon and his team!

So, I suggest, take it slow. Think Baby steps and whitebelt, you know, working on it till it is right again. OK, granted, I am spoiled, I get the chance to test every 8 weeks, but you know, as fun as a new belt is, I would NOT put myself in duress over one! and if it was the 9th dan (hoping I am still able to walk when the time comes...)

(BTW, what exactly did you hit with that toe....nvm, don't relive it on my account!)

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with granfire, it might be still in your head.

things like this take a while to get over. but also, you think, you havent thrown a kick in months, its gonna feel weird. when you pivot, you put weight on ball of foot which includes toes.

I would do just pivot drills, no kicks. pick up one leg 6 inches off the ground, and pivot the other foot. that should build some muscle memory back.

I shattered a joint in my toe, and have had to adjust my breaking (w/roundhouse) and squaring off on my kicks.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll pile onto the take it slow bandwagon. Just be patient with youself, drill the basics. SLOW DOWN. In a sense you're re-teaching oyurself these things as you learn to adjus to your new body circumstances.

Couple of years ago I blew out my knee. I was out for about 4 months before I was cleared to start training again. It took me a good 6 months after that to really get the comfortable feeling back in class. It was a combination of physical adjustment and mental stuff. Just train regularly, train wisely and all will come togther for you in due time.

Peace,
Erik

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Muscles will atrophy when they are not used, or are used less. When muscles atrophy, it will affect your balance as well. Since you broke your toe, you've likely shifted how you support your weight on that foot, and that will also affect your balance. The screws can affect it as well.

Other than taking your recovery slow and easy to prevent further injury and/or lengthening your recovery time - talk to your doctor. Ask for a prescription for physical therapy, and then talk to the physical therapist. Six week is a long time to be off your foot - it's not just your toe that will have been affected, but also the entire foot, ankle, and lower leg. You need to rehabilitate your entire leg, not just the toe, for strength and flexibility.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

billybybose

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Bummer Km.I broke my big toe (not half as bad as yours though)last Friday and have my 6 gyup test next friday.Plenty of wisdom offered up already.I'll just add maybe a little yoga like some of the one leg poses along with slow and easy pivot drills and patience.Also try not to see your situation as a frustratingly long slow fight just to get back to the level you were at before.The truth as I see it is your art is teaching and molding you.Overcoming obsticles to training like yours require a lot of thought(picking the right recovery stratagy for you),hard work(doing the exercises or rehab plan daily)and mental toughness(dealing with the pain).These are all skills that bleed over into your daily life.When you do get back to your pre-injury skill level It'll be a stronger(mentally and physically) more confident Karate Mom whos overcome her own challenges.So you see it sure was lucky you broke your toe.

OP
karatemom

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I do agree that some of it is mental and it is difficult to use the karate shoes when you're used to bare feet on the mat. I like the idea of balancing and pre-pivoting. I broke my toe doing my free-design form during tournament (like a big dork!) my big toe stuck to the mat (I really think there was something on it) when I went to do a double-knifehand block and shifting stances the big toe stuck to the mat and I heard/felt a snap! I seriously considered trying to finish until I tried to step on that toe and it felt numb - I did get a spirit medal for the effort *lol* One of my instructors (5th degree Sr.) could not believe I was not crying and carrying on - I never fell or anything just matter of factly told the center judge "I'm sorry sir, I don't think I'll be able to continue, I believe I've broken my toe" the look on the their faces was one of total shock! I just walked over the to first aid station before they could get up!
I didn't start to cry until people came over to see what had happened and were so nice to me - I know I was in shock cause there I was sitting there with my foot propped up and my right big toe pointing to the left and I was thinking I gotta get up and spar : P
I always wanted a way to stregthen my weaker side now I have to.
My friend (on the left of my sig. picture) keeps telling me "we're still black belts" but she gets to test and move on .... I just have to be patient with myself ....

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll add to the take your time group. It will take a while before your balance is restored. You lost some of it because of the injury and most likely stand, walk, and move just a little differently even if you can not feel it. Slow practice over time will correct this most likely

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
karatemom,

Long time ago I broke my little toe in Judo. It got caught in the rubber mat as was coming down and broke sideways. This was back in college (Taekwondo Moo Duk Kwon got you a green belt in Judo by the time you made 1st dan.)

I taped the toe to it's next door neighbor after straiting it. Talk about a hard time walking to class the next day!

What I learened to do was while it was healing I kicked with it and shuffled with the other leg. Until it was healed I didn't use it to stand on in TKD.

Avoid hurting that toe. It will just make for a longer healing process. Instead, get your instructor to let you use your hands more in all excercies. If they do snap kicks, you do combination punches, side kicks, combo backfist, round house kicks, do overhead hammers and reverse punches, etc.... when they do punches and blocks, you do MORE!

I bet by the time your toe is healed, your hands will be twice as good as they were before.

Deaf

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I do agree that some of it is mental and it is difficult to use the karate shoes when you're used to bare feet on the mat. I like the idea of balancing and pre-pivoting. I broke my toe doing my free-design form during tournament (like a big dork!) my big toe stuck to the mat (I really think there was something on it) when I went to do a double-knifehand block and shifting stances the big toe stuck to the mat and I heard/felt a snap! I seriously considered trying to finish until I tried to step on that toe and it felt numb - I did get a spirit medal for the effort *lol* One of my instructors (5th degree Sr.) could not believe I was not crying and carrying on - I never fell or anything just matter of factly told the center judge "I'm sorry sir, I don't think I'll be able to continue, I believe I've broken my toe" the look on the their faces was one of total shock! I just walked over the to first aid station before they could get up!
I didn't start to cry until people came over to see what had happened and were so nice to me - I know I was in shock cause there I was sitting there with my foot propped up and my right big toe pointing to the left and I was thinking I gotta get up and spar : P
I always wanted a way to stregthen my weaker side now I have to.
My friend (on the left of my sig. picture) keeps telling me "we're still black belts" but she gets to test and move on .... I just have to be patient with myself ....

OUCH! I managed to get both big toes caught in the mat doing crescent kick exercises...a few minutes later on of the kids did the same ting...his turned all shades of blue and purple!

Let me give you a HUGE HUG! You are a gal to my taste! But you see, the belt is just a stopover on the journey! There may actually be benefits from not advancing! And who is to say your friend won't have to sit out one in the future...I, too have a friend in TKD. She started 2 month ahead of me, but did not test before me, so for about 4 years we have been going head to head. then life happens and I had to let her pass me on Instructor certification. More stuff happened and I barely advanced to my current rank. Either way, at this point in the game, it really did not matter much... I pass and have to learn a new form to present at tournament, no pass and I can do the old one... ;) But the serious poop hit the fan and I took a break, to come back to find out she is having health problems preventing her from training...

Even though she is sidelined, she will tell you it has been a complete success on her part...when she started she never thought she would ever reach BB rank, in a million years - she is 63! ^_^

It is not a competition! You take care of yourself now! The belt will be there! I promiss!

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
After taking 6 weeks for your toe to heal, it is natural that your body did some things to compensate for the injury. You may still be compensating without even knowing it. As you start training again, your body will work out the new sensations from wearing the shoes. The most important thing is to listen to your body and work back into the training.

Taking longer to get to your next test is a dissapointment, but in the overall not the end of the world. It is the journey that defines you as a martial artist, not the rank.

Latest Discussions