Attacked in my front yard

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. A quick note: I did tell the cops that I wanted charges pressed, time to see how it goes. In the yr. and a half I have lived next to the guy I have more or less known him to be a crazy jerk.

The thing is that I have a feeling it truly is over, altercation wise. He is a bully sure. However, there is a retired cop on my block that beat this guy down a few years ago, nothing happened after that. I know still to be cautious though.

The point in my thinking is, drunken neighbor only bullies and does violent things to those he can get away with it.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. A quick note: I did tell the cops that I wanted charges pressed, time to see how it goes. In the yr. and a half I have lived next to the guy I have more or less known him to be a crazy jerk.

The thing is that I have a feeling it truly is over, altercation wise. He is a bully sure. However, there is a retired cop on my block that beat this guy down a few years ago, nothing happened after that. I know still to be cautious though.

The point in my thinking is, drunken neighbor only bullies and does violent things to those he can get away with it.
Eventually this situation will either explode or he will just go away one day.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Keep your eyes open. The problem with these "add beer, instant *******" types is you never know when he might have one too many cocktails and decide that the punk next door just got lucky.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Keep your eyes open. The problem with these "add beer, instant *******" types is you never know when he might have one too many cocktails and decide that the punk next door just got lucky.

What Kreth said...

Let your trained military instincts guide you. Keep this mission active...

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well done, Matt! Glad you're okay. Just wish I could do something about the Clampetts living behind me.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad you're ok, Matt. Given his record of jerkdom, you showed restraint. Necessary force for the situation. I know it may bring up conflicting feelings, but ya did the right thing.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You have no reason to feel any guilt about this at all. In fact, you are lucky you had the training you do or YOU could have been the one laying on the ground and bleeding from the ear. This is a perfect example of using our martial training for self defense. It was not a *fight*. It was SELF DEFENSE, and hopefully this jerk will think twice before trying to launch an attack on another innocent. You done good. :asian:

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad your OK Matt. You did what was necessary. People like that sometimes have to get a reality check once in a while. Unfortunately it is often washed down with more alcohol.

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Matt,

First off, glad you're ok... and not writing us from the hospital!

Second, glad you put that bozo's button the deck. Bullys like that only understand one thing... defeat! You knocked him down a few pegs with your response... that should end it...

Third, good move upgrading everyones attention to it all for a while... you know how it is... sometimes you just need to keep your head on a swivel!

Finally, don't let this whole thing get to you... he was wrong... you were not. Don't let your provoked actions to an unprovoked attack get you down. It was HIS choice to try and blindside you... you simply pointed out the error in his ways!

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Slightly off subject here, but I can't let this thought go. This jerk has got to much history. A retired cop neighbor "beat him down"? I can understand him not wanting to go back after a cop,..... assualt charges / domestic battery(s),..........Drunk charges,..............and whatever else is on his sheet............My question is - What is this idiot doing out? You just have to scratch your head and wonder just what the hell happened to the judicial system. :idunno:

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score

You are correct about bullies. It sounds to me like it is possible that this went by too fast for him to catch, which can mean two things in his pea-little brain; that guy couldn't have possibly done anything so fast that I didn't catch it, so I can still take him. Or...dang, I'm hurting and locked up, and never saw what happened; I've been outclassed, and ought to stay away. Let's hope for the latter.

D.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guys, I talked about it with pop for a bit this morning. He said "You did exactly what you were supposed to do, diffuse and call for help." I know you probably wanted to make sure he got fitted for some traction, but you didn't. You knocked him out and called the cops, kept a safe distance. I am proud of you."

The scary thing is, from being in combat oversees and seeing what I have I have a quick trigger for adrenaline when there is "Immenent danger." While I waited for the cops I couldn't stop thinking the "What if he had attacked my wife Jaime? Kicked my poodle with the work boots on?" I just kept reciting the rules of engagement and what constituted immenent danger.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Guys, I talked about it with pop for a bit this morning. He said "You did exactly what you were supposed to do, diffuse and call for help." I know you probably wanted to make sure he got fitted for some traction, but you didn't. You knocked him out and called the cops, kept a safe distance. I am proud of you."

The scary thing is, from being in combat oversees and seeing what I have I have a quick trigger for adrenaline when there is "Immenent danger." While I waited for the cops I couldn't stop thinking the "What if he had attacked my wife Jaime? Kicked my poodle with the work boots on?" I just kept reciting the rules of engagement and what constituted immenent danger.

Matt, you did great! Hopefully, the guy will mark your territory (home and family) as off limits. I won't hold my breath though with the way he is thinking. Just wondering, is Jaime ready to handle herself if you're not nearby?

-- Ceicei

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know, I absolutely feel bad. The last thing I hate is confrontation, invited or otherwise.

The thing is I love competition, that is one thing that really drives me. I hate fighting, now 3 hours later I still kinda feel like I did something wrong even though I didn't. First time I have had to defend myself, instead of someone else since the early 90's. Who else can identify? Thoughts? Opinions?

I have never had to defend myself (luckily) but I think that I would feel the same way. Hurting someone (outside of full contact competition) never feels good, unless you're a sadist. I'm sorry that you had to go through that, but you did what you had to do. That's life, I guess.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Matt, you did great! Hopefully, the guy will mark your territory (home and family) as off limits. I won't hold my breath though with the way he is thinking. Just wondering, is Jaime ready to handle herself if you're not nearby?

-- Ceicei

My wife is under the instruction of: Enter the Equinox in the enclosed garage and exit the Equinox in the enclosed garage and dont unlock the door until the door is secure. She is to ask who is at the door and if neighbor jerk is at the door to call 9-1-1 and tell him to go away.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score

-- Ceicei

Well Jaime is understanding of the following: Dont enter or exit the Equinox unless enclosed in the garage, if crazy neighbor comes to the door then she is to tell him to leave and dial 9-1-1. Also, our front door is to stay locked at all times. Yell fire in case of danger, that sort of thing.

However, she is now taking interest in "The stuff you, your dad and pals do." Sorry for the duplicate post.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Matt,

Glad to hear that your OK, and nice job doing the right thing and defending yourself, but not overstepping the lines of SD.

That said, the thing that sucks the worst about this is that he is your neighbor. The worst thing to have is a feud with a neighbor. Reason is, this might not be over. This could go on and on and on. He could attack you again, wait for when you are not home and do something to you family, pets, property. It could be a constant struggle.

I am sorry to say this, and I am not trying to make you paranoid. But this does happen. And now he will have a reason to perpetuate a conflict, because you kicked his *** (never mind the fact that he is the ******* that attacked you first, because these *******s never see that).

I would consider trying to talk to him, or make some sort of amends (even though you weren't wrong, but that doesn't matter). Kind of test the waters to see if you guys can coexist. This isn't necessarily the right answer, just something to consider and think about. Only you can really know the right answer here because you are closer to the situation then anyone on this forum.

Good luck, man.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matt, I'm with everyone else - you did exactly what you should have, with appropriate force for the situation. If you hadn't knocked him out, he'd have kept coming, and you'd have ended up doing more damage - and been much more likely to damage yourself in the process. I'm glad you're okay.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Slightly off subject here, but I can't let this thought go. This jerk has got to much history. A retired cop neighbor "beat him down"? I can understand him not wanting to go back after a cop,..... assualt charges / domestic battery(s),..........Drunk charges,..............and whatever else is on his sheet............My question is - What is this idiot doing out? You just have to scratch your head and wonder just what the hell happened to the judicial system. :idunno:

Yeah, see, this is exactly what I'm wondering also. This guy should be on parole at this point, looking at five to ten if he puts a single toe out of line. But his past doesn't seem to have clipped his wings at all. Why not? Involved in a physical conflict with an LEO? Come on!!

Something seems seriously wrong here....

Latest Discussions