Attach something moral to something evil, to make it seem good to many

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
This made me wonder what else was changing. Were the original Oh Do Kwan tenets slightly changed? and if so, was it around this time? Were there other changes happening as well?

I have heard "Oh Do Kwan" to seemingly refer to that group in different incarnations (and I am not an Oh Do Kwan Scholar) so I will only refer to "Tenets" as they appear in General Choi's texts. (Not knowing how the Oh Do Kwan may or may not have adopted tenets over time. )

In the 1965 edition they are listed as:
Modesty, Perseverance, Self control and Indomitable spirit.

In the 1972 and all later texts they are : Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self Control and indomitable Spirit.

I do not know why he revised them.

Not a lot "Changed' from the 1972 text to later texts although there were refinements such as adding the term "Connecting Motion" and using the term / metaphor "Sine Wave" to describe the knee flexion / spring described in the 1972 text.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard "Oh Do Kwan" to seemingly refer to that group in different incarnations (and I am not an Oh Do Kwan Scholar) so I will only refer to "Tenets" as they appear in General Choi's texts. (Not knowing how the Oh Do Kwan may or may not have adopted tenets over time. )

In the 1972 and all later texts they are : Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self Control and indomitable Spirit.

Not a lot "Changed' from the 1972 text to later texts although there were refinements such as adding the term "Connecting Motion" and using the term / metaphor "Sine Wave" to describe the knee flexion / spring described in the 1972 text.

Perhaps his ghost/spirit has been reading this section and thought courtesy needed to be added. :confused:

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u

These are the original Oh Do Kwan tenets and still are.

If you have time, can you quote from the book there part referring to knee flex? Our term "Kubi" used in terms like "ap-kubi", etc refer to the bent knee, or flex of the knee. If you know the Korean term ITF use from 1972 I'd be interested to see that too.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
These are the original Oh Do Kwan tenets and still are.

If you have time, can you quote from the book there part referring to knee flex? Our term "Kubi" used in terms like "ap-kubi", etc refer to the bent knee, or flex of the knee. If you know the Korean term ITF use from 1972 I'd be interested to see that too.

1972 Text, 1975 Edition. Page 24. "Flexibility and Knee Spring are also imoportant for maintaining balance, for both a quick attack and instant recovery."

Page 26 . "Another way of increasing body weight is a utilization of the springing action of the knee joint. This is achieved by slightly raising the hip at the beginning of the motion and lowering the hip at the moment of impact to drop the body weight into the motion as figure G.

Page 70: "Make use of the knee spring properly."

Note: there may be more examples in the text. I cannot be sure I found them all.

Sorry, canot help with any Korean terminolgy.

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
I agree with that 100%.

Wu Wei: Chinese: 無為, 无为, or in Korean: 무위 Moo Ui?

OK, flow and not doing can be effortless action.

I don't know how much it is actually related to Confucius, I tend to think not much at all as We Wei is only mention be tern once in the Analects. From what I understand, it is Taoist.

Professor Manyul Im has 18 commentaries about this on his blog. His e-mail is there too if you want to contact him directly.

http://manyulim.wordpress.com/2008/04/13/wuwei-無為-what-does-it-mean/

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was referring to the physical technique, not the ability, proficiency to use it (I know this doesn't sound right, it's hard to put this into the right words). The Daoist concept of Wu Wei (not sure the korean term for it, Moo something?), is not something that can be taught. You can speak about it until the cows come home, but until you actually experience it, you won't really understand it. One of my seniors described it as an "out of body experience;" you are sitting back watching the fight happen without actively taking part in it.. .
Refer to post #32.

Yes Sir, I agree it is a Daoist concept, and a concept that bled into Confucian ideals do to social tradition as I understand it. Thank you for the link to Manyul Im's blog, I found it very helpful. I was trying to highlight a concept foreign to western culture, but something you can understand through study of Asian culture and philosophy.

On a side not, thank you very much for the e-mail, I will print it out tomorrow and take a thorough look at it!

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

The Oh Do Kwan still exists as an organization in Korea. It was one of the nine kwans that you hear about that agreed to unify under the Kukkiwon banner for official certification purposes.

Latest Discussions