Assaults on cops rise.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's interesting that i've rarely worked car breakins where the thieves actually needed to break anything to get in. I've had a couple of those, but 99% of the time the car is unlocked and the items stolen were simply left in the car in plain sight.

A couple years back I had a poor unfortunate gal who had left the Christmas money, approximately $400.00 worth, in the center console, in her unlocked car, parked in front of the residence. Some mope walking through the area jiggled the lock, discovered it open, perused through, and absconded with the Christmas funds.

Lock the doors, folks! An ounce of prevention is worth multiple futile manhours trying to track down the cash after the thief has already spent it on booze, burgers and crack......which he probably did before the crime was even discovered.
Don't get me started on that issue... I'm still cleaning up paper on a series of tamperings, larcenies from vehicles, and stolen vehicles that would (for the most part) never have happened had the people simply locked their cars and not left spare and/or valet keys in the cars...

Like your stuff? So do crooks. Wanna keep your stuff? LOCK IT UP!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am stunned that people behave as you experienced 'hands' describe!

Clearly you see much more of the picture than we, non-LEO's do, so I can't gainsay your anecdotes but I'm still amazed that the 'victims' of these crimes acted as they did. Why not paint a sign on your car saying "Please steal my stuff!"? :facepalm:.

My up-close-and-personal brushes with car crime have been very different. The first one, the car I 'lost', is one of those occasions where if it hadn't happened to you you wouldn't believe it.

My car, a rather rare white Sierra Sapphire, all original, including the alloys that someone offered me £1500 for a week before the car went (suspicious huh?), was stolen in broad daylight in front of a half-dozen witnesses who knew it was my car but did nothing. Why? Because the thieves rolled up with a car transporter, didn't act furtively and were dressed in 'uniform' mechanics overalls!

The attempted car theft was again from outside my home (terrace rather than flat this time). They ignored the security lights and gained access by bending the top of the drivers-side door down. Their loss was that having gained entry by brute force, they rather clumsily lent on the horn, not once, or twice but three times, which woke me up. I appeared at the overlooking window, blearily peered out, saw them and plucked the katana from the ornamental dai-sho on the windowsill ... at which point they legged it. I'm guessing that facing an angry naked man with a sword wasn't high on their list of things to do that night :D.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm guessing that facing an angry naked man with a sword wasn't high on their list of things to do that night :D.
Cant say I blame them on that one thats funny. Not that your car was damaged but I can just imagine the looks on the guys faces when they saw that.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another example of who is killing our cops and why.

http://www.sundaypaper.com/Blogs/Th...32/WHO-WILL-REFORM-FULTON-COUNTYS-COURTS.aspx

According to a report by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Favors had 18 prior arrests. The most recent was about two weeks before the killing of which he is accused. In mid-December he faced charges of “Criminal Attempt to enter an Auto, Possession of Cocaine, Possession of Tools for a Commission of a Crime, and three counts of Obstruction of Law Enforcement” according to a statement by Fulton County Superior Court Chief Judge Cynthia Wright.

Such rap sheets are common in Atlanta.

A dozen priors, 15, even 20 don’t really raise eyebrows among the cops.

The people of Atlanta can’t keep crossing their fingers and hoping that some stroke of fate will repair Fulton County’s broken justice system. They can’t keep thinking that an editorial like this one or a pretty speech by a politician will make the courts do the work they are supposed to do and put violent offenders away for a meaningful length of time. They can’t keep praying for a miracle or a superhero.

Columnists have written editorials for years while District Attorney Paul Howard ran a shambles of a DA’s office. Political gatherings have rarely lacked for those who point out the ineptitude and inattention of Judge Marvin Arrington. Yet, both men are well into their maturity, having for many years been the doormen of the Fulton County justice system’s infamous revolving door.

Ga. Trooper Chadwick LeCroy. He was shot in the face by a driver he was attempting to stop for a traffic violation. The driver fled the scene in LeCroy’s patrol car.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.policeone.com/police-her...ndreds-honor-Mass-officer-killed-in-shootout/

WOBURN, Mass. — About 2,000 law enforcement officers from around Massachusetts are remembering a police officer who was killed during a robbery.

John Maguire's wake is being held on Thursday. Police from departments ranging from the Massachusetts State Police to Harvard University stood in silence as Maguire's fellow Woburn officers walked out of the funeral home one by one.

Authorities say career criminal Dominic Cinelli killed Maguire on Sunday during a department store robbery. The 57-year-old Cinelli was also shot and killed.

The Massachusetts Parole Board has been criticized for releasing Cinelli in 2009 even though he was serving three concurrent life sentences.

http://www.policeone.com/legal/articles/3138253-Mourning-and-outrage-in-Mass-cops-death/

Rooney notes that Cinelli's time behind bars included more than 50 disciplinary reports and two escapes. During his first stretch in prison, between 1976 and 1985, Cinelli incurred 40 disciplinary reports and was moved to a higher security tier.

By 1985, with improving behavior, Cinelli was granted furloughs. He completed four furloughs, but failed to return on his fifth. He was on the run for two months. He was convicted 10 months later of additional armed robberies he committed during that escape.

After this conviction, Cinelli escaped again. Eleven days after his second escape, he was returned to custody facing additional criminal charges. He also did 4 1/2 years locked up in Rhode Island.

Cinelli's disciplinary report while in prison spans his 30 years behind bars. Cinelli's program participation in his first 20 years in prison was "extremely limited,'' Rooney wrote.

It took a veteran Cops life..taken from his family during the holiday season...to finally keep this scumbag from victimizing the public again.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
R.I.P. Officer Maguire...at least he took the bastard with him.

I hope those ****ers on the parole board never enjoy a full night's sleep for the rest of their lives...

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
From the murder above.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/jan/03/8/state-county-investigators-probe-ohio-shootout-ar-348410/

Apparently, the Morgan County sheriff's office received a complaint in 2001 (exact date undetermined) about Ferryman shooting at other campers who were taking firewood from a community pile.

When officers responded, Ferryman fired a weapon in the direction of the officers.

The officers retreated to a safe area and called for additional units. The area was secured and negotiations began. During the next 26 hours, Ferryman fired several times in the direction of officers. Ferryman surrendered, was taken into custody and was charged with felonious assault on police officers.

He was incarcerated and later was found not guilty by reason of insanity in 2003.

He was committed to a mental health facility.

He was granted conditional release in 2005, and he was evaluated by that mental-health facility in 2008.

Latest Discussions