Arts and Rhythm

Darkmoon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of different arts having different rhythms to them? So some people find some arts easier than others because the rhythm is similar to their own. I've only heard it from source, but it seems to appear to hold some truth when you look at different arts and who takes them. Mainly pertaining to different cultures since, different cultures have different rhythms.

Feedback be it positive or negative is welcome.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’m not sure I understand the question darkmoon. Do you mean the way and intensity of the work out? I might just be stupid (which I think a lot of the folks at this site would agree with), but I just don’t understand.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Arts have nothing to do with it. People have different rhythms. Training will influence that but when it gets down to basic free-form movement, every person is different, especially beginners.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Solidman82 said:
Arts have nothing to do with it. People have different rhythms. Training will influence that but when it gets down to basic free-form movement, every person is different, especially beginners.

I agree! I believe each confrontation has a rythm, I would guess it could vary even with the same person from time to time.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe boxing has a rhythm that differs from that of capoeira that differs from that of eskrima that differs from that of karate that differs from that of kung fu that differs from that of judo.

For example, many karate styles use a staccato series of punches, while many kung fu styles (esp. Northern) are much more fluid. A judo technique is 'smoother' than a boxing combination. So yes, I believe that some arts can be better suited to oneindividual than another for these sorts of reasons, because people can have different natural or preferred rhythms too.

But I would agree that each encounter also has its own rhythm. I wouldn't consider 'rhythm' a major criterion in choice of art.

OP
Darkmoon

Darkmoon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Arnisador you rock! You got exactly what I was saying. If you learn some arts that go with your rhythm then modify your speed according to the encounter then you should be ok. Am I right?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure that that's all one needs, but I agree that it's a good start!

I will say that within a certain range one can adjust to the rhythm inherent in an art...and adjust the rhythm inherent in an art to the person.

J

jbclinic

in my opinion yes. rhythm is in the art as well as the person.this on a couple of levels(1)you choose the art to suit you,you get familiar(2) movements are or become you,so it's felt. i think shotokan and tdk or somewhat rigid to another it fits thier makeup.

Latest Discussions