Arm Guide

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since the "side parry" thread is locked. I like to continue the "technique" discussion (not the argument) in this thread.

When you guide your opponent leading arm at the elbow joint to jam his own back arm, if he

- resists, you can borrow his resisting force, pull his shoulder back, and sweep his leg.
- yields, you can borrow his yielding force, push his neck, and obtain his leading leg.

So the arm guide (side parry) can be use as a door opening move to set up your next move.

What's your opinion on this set up?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
neither video has knives in it, is this just for the empty hand variant?
You use your back hand to push your opponent's leading arm. Whether you have a knife in your leading hand, or he has a knife in his leading hand, the principle should work the same. Of course if your opponent's knife is longer than your arm, your back hand won't be able to reach to his elbow joint.

If your opponent holds a 10 feet pole, none of your open hand MA technique will work on him.

10-ft.jpg

Last edited:

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
@Kung Fu Wang - An elbow drag is always useful, i think the techniques are fine but would need more control on the arm during the technique if there was a knife in their hand. But with a resisting opponent basing out during the encounter i would transition to something more like a breath throw from the angles shown.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your opponent holds a 10 feet pole, none of your open hand MA technique will work on him.

Sure it will. A 10 foot pole would be awfully easy to push aside, allowing you to close. Once you're inside the usable range of the pole, you can do pretty much whatever you want.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions