Are you really interested in exchanging ideas?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My statement about TKD is based on my knowledge of what Jow Ga does. We train to deal with high kicks and we know how to exploit the weaknesses and opportunities that come with kicking high. If I could kick like TKD then I would do kick at a height where the kick lands slightly out of range of where my opponent thinks he can grab it. I would try to make him over extend and reach for my kicks. By not kicking high, I don't expose my knee or my groin as much. It also makes it difficult to have my standing leg swept from under me.

Keep in mind that I train for self-defense so when I see a standing leg, I'm instantly thinking about breaking it. Also keep in mind that sporting environments have rules that protect the fighter and makes it possible to do things that one shouldn't attempt or should attempt with caution in a self-defense situation.

I think some people don't think about the context in which some techniques are done and as a result tend to think that the technique can be done anywhere in any situation. Most of what is trained in Martial arts is trained in the context of someone who is the same height and size as you are. This guy tries high kicks against a much taller opponent. In my book this is a high risk thing to do . Being that he was so much taller lower kicks would have been better. Every time he kicked I thought the guy was going to kick him in his standing leg or in the groin.

Certainly no point in kicking in that area. Got to test the balance. Yes agree, in fact I would think that leg kicking would not even be necessary. A good old favoured rugby tackle, the wind in the sales, that kind of thing. Should have used stingers I think, use the opponent. Just my theoretical take.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I come here to read the revelations from the select few who have deigned to, like Bodhisattvas, drop WC truth bombs on us, the deluded multitudes practising substyles other than the direct transmission from the now ascended masters.

*dramatic pause*

But none of them seem to ever post here.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions