Are you really interested in exchanging ideas?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why the heck do any of us keep posting on this forum??? For me it boils down to two main reasons. First I love the martial arts, and WC/VT/WT in particular. And it's just fun to talk about it.

Secondly, there are some really knowledgeable folks posting here with a wide range of experiences, and I'm really interested in their approaches to WC/VT. I always feel I can deepen my understanding of this profound art by conversing with others with different experiences. :)

But some others seem to come here already convinced that their branch is the true, authentic and correct branch. I'm always surprised when people with such parochial, sectarian views hang around very long (most don't). All they do is alienate the rest of the posters here, and they certainly don't get any converts. For the life of me, I really don't know what they get out it ...so I'm asking.

What brings you, and more importantly, what keeps you posting on this WC forum?

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I keep posting in order to leave correct information in case anyone seeking understanding is reading.

There is a large amount of trolling here and it isn't a very pleasurable place to post, but since others helped me in the past I would like to pass on the favour if possible.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why the heck do any of us keep posting on this forum??? For me it boils down to two main reasons. First I love the martial arts, and WC/VT/WT in particular. And it's just fun to talk about it.

Secondly, there are some really knowledgeable folks posting here with a wide range of experiences, and I'm really interested in their approaches to WC/VT. I always feel I can deepen my understanding of this profound art by conversing with others with different experiences. :)

But some others seem to come here already convinced that their branch is the true, authentic and correct branch. I'm always surprised when people with such parochial, sectarian views hang around very long (most don't). All they do is alienate the rest of the posters here, and they certainly don't get any converts. For the life of me, I really don't know what they get out it ...so I'm asking.

What brings you, and more importantly, what keeps you posting on this WC forum?[
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Hoping to learn something and sometimes I do

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I post here because I can't LARP in the winter. And if I come out of the basement my mom makes me do things like take my cousin Judy to the school dance. Also, if I post enough here I'll get a black belt! Gotta go, guys are coming over for D&D. :)

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, you aren't interested in current topics and this is the thread you start to spark new discussion? Just sounds like more complaining.

I've shared a ton of information on this forum, but when specific questions are asked of others they are avoided.

There are more takers than givers on this forum.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I post in the WC discussions because I'm almost 80% sure that many of the Jow Ga techniques counters Wing Chun techniques. This isn't to say that one is better, it's just to say that if you fight someone from a style a lot, then you'll start thinking of and creating counters to use against that style.

By getting a better insight to WC I'll be able to have a better understanding of Jow Ga techniques. Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of politics in the WC community.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I post in the WC discussions because my

- "rhino guard" came from the WC "Tan Shou".
- "zombie's arms" came from the WC "center line theory".

I also try to spread the "liberal thinking" that "You are the master and your MA system is your slave. There is nothing that you cannot modify your MA system to meet with your own need". I'll be happy even if I can just free one slave.

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not so much posting for me, but I sincerely enjoy reading the posts of the majority of members. Keep it going I say

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not particularly concerned with the WC discussions. But it can be generalised to other discussions.

Some people try to impose their position (lineage for WC, I guess) or their are single-minded. Some heat is nice, otherwise no one reacts. :) But everyone should be confortable to expose their opinion, respecting other points of view. Otherwise a forum has no sense.

I keep coming because some questions are easy :cool:, and helping people is nice. On the other hand, I also can have valuable insights (or exchanges) from (with) other experienced people here.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I keep posting in order to leave correct information in case anyone seeking understanding is reading.

There is a large amount of trolling here and it isn't a very pleasurable place to post, but since others helped me in the past I would like to pass on the favour if possible.

It is interesting that it really doesn't ever get "unpleasant" here other than when you and LFJ get involved in a thread. Why do you think that is?

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It is interesting that it really doesn't ever get "unpleasant" here other than when you and LFJ get involved in a thread. Why do you think that is?

People like to argue and have made a habit of it.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score

Because you other hippies are into group hugs, no wrong answers, and everyone being special in their own ways.

Most of you don't like our perspectives because of what they mean for other YM WC. So you have taken us as the forum enemies and will argue anything we say even when there is nothing to really argue about.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Because its interesting to see different perspectives and opinions

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

For the occasions where there ARE intelligent, open-minded responses.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh boy another thread that seems its about to to turn into an argument. Time to unfollow this thread

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because you other hippies are into group hugs, no wrong answers, and everyone being special in their own ways.

Most of you don't like our perspectives because of what they mean for other YM WC. So you have taken us as the forum enemies and will argue anything we say even when there is nothing to really argue about.

Don't think that is the case at all. People are talking about Wing Chun, or at least that is what it is supposed to be, not some kind of dogma war. Perspectives are fine, along as one can accept another. That is how we all learn after all.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I come here to read and learn and observe etc. I somtimes share my input. I'm not good at details and debating and analyzing and all that other stuff. One thing this forum and others like it have taught me is that the WC world is wider than I had originally thought!
I've also learned that there are some pretty smart dudes on here...way smarter than me, and that is always a learning opportunity for me.
I've also learned that pretty much all of us drink/sip/gulp/guzzle a particular blend of kool aid... :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I look for different perspectives from my own (to challenge my views) and to see who shares my views (validation). To find out what is working for others, and what isn't. To find out what pushes people's buttons - that's usually either an area of high interest or an area of misunderstanding.

I gather new ideas, help correct misperceptions where I can, and share in the community most here perceive in the martial arts world.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm here mostly to learn. I'm interested in what other people share about their training, not only with Wing Chun, but other systems and practices as well. I'll admit that I don't share all that much, because I know that whatever I do will be trolled.

Lineage politics in wing chun are tiring and disappointing to me, but easy to ignore. What gets me is there seem to be people who a) don't know wing chun b) aren't interested in wing chun and c) are convinced that wing chun is bad who somehow have prioritized hanging out in this forum (and others) to confront anyone who does it. Maybe this is the "freeing slaves" mentality. Seems like they would have something better to put their energy into, though. Like, I don't know, training or freeing actual slaves if that is their passion.

Seems like the forum moderators would shut them down so that the forum could get used as intended, but I know that's a tough gig.