Are we better off or worse?

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You may be surprised at what a good level of skill many of the belts might have. Judo is a bit of an 'in at the deep end' art, and it is easy to progress quickly at first. Then you either get the bit about softness and keep progressing, albeit a bit slower, or you stick at brown belt for the rest of your life.

Judo is out of fashion in the UK, and it hasn't been a moneyspinner since the 1950's. People do pay a lot for BJJ classes where they learn exactly the same techniques though. The BJJ training methods are a bit more structured though, and that, along with good advertising, is probably why they can be viably commercial.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
push-ups may not be a true motivator (negative reinforcement seldom is), but they accomplish a few things:

1. you get the problem child out of your class for five or ten minutes while they're doing push ups

2. they get time to calm down

3. you get time to calm down

4. they're actually getting some exercise as well.

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

A while ago I went with Roland to a seminar in martial arts. During the seminar the instructor pulled out a wooden shinai and gave him a clip on the back of the head to inspire him to get his technique right. He did.

But it makes me wonder, I've heard stories about instructors walking around with big sticks etc and when students were not getting technique right etc.

We seem to have gotten away from ideas like that? Why? Are they good or bad ideas?

Sammo Hung in a recent interview spoke about the Peking Opera training he and Jackie Chan went through as kids- nonstop beatings and punishment for every misstep- and no matter how right you got it, it was a mistake and another beating- not a happy memory it seems. in fact he described it as outright child abuse and displayed much anger about the experience.

peace

:asian:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by jazkiljok

Sammo Hung in a recent interview spoke about the Peking Opera training he and Jackie Chan went through as kids- nonstop beatings and punishment for every misstep- and no matter how right you got it, it was a mistake and another beating- not a happy memory it seems. in fact he described it as outright child abuse and displayed much anger about the experience.

peace

Read Jackie's book on it, he seems to have a different view of it. Beatings and miserable times? yes, but look at what it has done for them now.

7sm

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by 7starmantis

Read Jackie's book on it, he seems to have a different view of it. Beatings and miserable times? yes, but look at what it has done for them now.

7sm

Will do-- but not to sure that success of a few talented individuals validates the methods of training.

I haven't had a chance yet to see (or even find) Stanley Kwan's "Painted Faces" (1988)- it's based on Hung's experiences and he plays a tough teacher in it. I don't think any judgments are made in the film- just a glimpse into the life of the kids who go through the training.

have you seen it?

peace

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by jazkiljok

Will do-- but not to sure that success of a few talented individuals validates the methods of training.

I haven't had a chance yet to see (or even find) Stanley Kwan's "Painted Faces" (1988)- it's based on Hung's experiences and he plays a tough teacher in it. I don't think any judgments are made in the film- just a glimpse into the life of the kids who go through the training.

have you seen it?

peace

No I haven't seen it, I'll have to look for it now though. I understand that some view that type of training as abuse, but I wish I had been in that type of training as a kid, would have kept me out of alot of trouble and increased my skill level tremendously. There is a fine line to walk, but what makes it abuse and what makes it motivation?

7sm

Latest Discussions