Are we better off or worse?

G

GouRonin

A while ago I went with Roland to a seminar in martial arts. During the seminar the instructor pulled out a wooden shinai and gave him a clip on the back of the head to inspire him to get his technique right. He did.

But it makes me wonder, I've heard stories about instructors walking around with big sticks etc and when students were not getting technique right etc.

We seem to have gotten away from ideas like that? Why? Are they good or bad ideas?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that technique works well on those who are serious students wanting to learn, however, in todays world needing to put bread on the table means taking on students of not-so-serious stature. I think if you used that approach on them they might quit, then you would loose money. It all comes back to the business aspect of it.

Personally, I wish it was used more often, it would deffinatly light a fire under me to get it right!!

7sm

OP
E

Elfan

Well most martial arts schools today are commercial in nature. Beating kids with sticks is a fast way to go out of business.

OP
C

c2kenpo

Originally posted by Elfan

Beating kids with sticks is a fast way to go out of business.

Beating anyone with a stick is a good way to end up without any money!
And I think that if you have the right instructors and they can show you what you are doing wrong or better yet how to make what you are doing more effective for you, then the stick is simply a pain related item that is no longer needed in todays world.

However, feeding a few unruly children to the iguana in the back may not be half-baked.......muttering to self..

:EG:

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My first instructor (who is also my dad) has an excellent method for inspiring a student to get techniques right.

After telling you how, and why ur doing it wrong, if u still dont concentrate on gettin it right, he pulls on the gloves, and demostrates the consequences of not doin it right. Never hard - he's never even marked anyone doing this - but generally so easily that i for one, was always soo embarrassed that i worked my @ss off to get it right.

IMHO, this is a great teaching method. It demostrates why a tech is done as it is, without resorting to knocking skulls to enforce rote learning.

BTW, now i ALWAYS keep my chin tucked :D

cheers

Baoquan

OP
C

c2kenpo

Originally posted by Baoquan

BTW, now i ALWAYS keep my chin tucked :D

cheers

Baoquan [/B]

This is called kinetic learning. Very simple to understand...if you keep getting hit on the top of your head and then finally you put your arm up and it stops it the pain goes away..
I think that is how I figured out the upward block......:hammer:

OP
C

chufeng

For those interested,
There is a similar thread in the Karate forum entitled "Is karate too big?"

:asian:
chufeng

OP
F

fissure

Well most martial arts schools today are commercial in nature. Beating kids with sticks is a fast way to go out of business
This sums it up well! My first dojo bach in England was run by my math teacher, in the b- ball gym. If you didn't like the servere methods you were encouraged not to come back.Needless to say this wouldn't pay the bills in todays commercial schools.
To be honest I think only 3 of 4 of the colored belt adults at the dojang I teach at would appreciate 'old stlye' training.

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by c2kenpo
the stick is simply a pain related item that is no longer needed in todays world.

I dunno. I would quite enjoy beating a few people.
:rolleyes:

OP
C

c2kenpo

Originally posted by GouRonin

I dunno. I would quite enjoy beating a few people.
:rolleyes:

I never said I wouldn't enjoy it.:EG:

Just said it wasn't cost effective....of course I still like feeding kids to the lizards....:EG:

OP
F

fissure

On a serious note. Training is just not the way it used to be. Everything has changed. People come in to a school now looking for a fun pastime. They get a knot on their forearm or a busted lip, and head for the hills.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kinda begs the question, would those easy to deter people be in a class 500 years ago? Odds are, they'd be too busy working themselves to death in a field somewhere. No chance to learn at all.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Teachers aren't gods, and their students aren't slaves. The average student pays to learn, not to be abused. If you can't successfully impart knowledge without beating on your students, what does that say about your ability to teach?

OP
E

Eraser

OUCH... geez i hope tthat my instructor never hits us with a stick.. but... our school does have an effective way to help us get things right.. if we are lazy and not at our best.. its called Push-Ups.. and when you have to keep repeatedly doing them..(in front of the rest of the class.. or they make the rest of the class do them as well) you tend to want to get the task at hand right...oh and if you have a broken hand\arm.. you get to run instread.. LOL..:D That's effective enough for me!!!:shrug:

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I think the problem is, stuff like this just gets out of hand. This is where you wind up with schools not making people into good martial artists, just weeding out the ones who are not naturals.
This happens in the "dungeon dojos" mostly.
Personally, I do not mind getting wapped everyone once in awhile, as long as there is purpose behind it!

OP
G

GouRonin

The look on your face was priceless. Of course I thought I was next.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Roland

Personally, I do not mind getting wapped everyone once in awhile, as long as there is purpose behind it!

Exactly. You can't just go smacking people arbitrarily. there's got to be a reason behind it, and you have to have a certain rapport with the student to be able to make it work.

You and the student have to have a good enough understanding that they know you're trying to help them, not just being an *******.

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by nightingale8472
You can't just go smacking people arbitrarily. there's got to be a reason behind it.

Maybe you're not listening. That is the reason. I just want to smack them for no reason.

Why is that so hard to understand?
:confused:

Originally posted by nightingale8472
they know you're trying to help them, not just being an *******.

Why can't I do both?
:confused:

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That's why I love judo. Every time you do something wrong you hit the floor. If you land wrong then you break something.

This is a very quick way to learn, but then again there is no such thing as a commercially successful judo school.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bod

...but then again there is no such thing as a commercially successful judo school.

Man I wish I lived where you do, one of the most "commercially successful" schools in my area is a judo school, turns out belts like Willy Wonka.

7sm

Latest Discussions