Are MA/SD not for the squeamish?

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've told a few people that I'm starting MA classes and the ribbing has started. I sort of figured it would because I'm known for squirming through and not watching fight scenes. When they get really nasty, I jump up and fetch more drinks at the cinema or offer a cup of tea, beer, coffee something that will get me away from the screen.

Anyone else start off squeamish? Did you have to do something besides MA first to get over it?

I've seen and experienced violence irl, but I thought in a controlled environment I'd get better at facing it. I thought the two trial classes I did, I handled myself okay. I didn't ask anyone if they wanted a cup of tea at least. lol

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've told a few people that I'm starting MA classes and the ribbing has started. I sort of figured it would because I'm known for squirming through and not watching fight scenes. When they get really nasty, I jump up and fetch more drinks at the cinema or offer a cup of tea, beer, coffee something that will get me away from the screen.

Anyone else start off squeamish? Did you have to do something besides MA first to get over it?

I've seen and experienced violence irl, but I thought in a controlled environment I'd get better at facing it. I thought the two trial classes I did, I handled myself okay. I didn't ask anyone if they wanted a cup of tea at least. lol

Nope... but then again I grew up cleaning fish & field dressing deer as a kid. Hog slaughters were just another thing going on at the farm or down at the river for BBQs.

Just remember you control (to a degree) the amount of violence necessary to end the conflict. But I promise you, that you will not do anything like Ninja Assassin or the like.

OP
Monroe

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Nope... but then again I grew up cleaning fish & field dressing deer as a kid. Hog slaughters were just another thing going on at the farm or down at the river for BBQs.

Just remember you control (to a degree) the amount of violence necessary to end the conflict. But I promise you, that you will not do anything like Ninja Assassin or the like.

I've found doing first aid on a person or plucking and prepping a dead bird to be very different to inflicting injury.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
We may all be squeamish about something. Usually it is something we get over with time. I used to investigate felonies. I investigated amongst other things, assaults and murders. I had to get over my worries about seeing dead bodies. Kids and babies were the most difficult. But I had to do it in order to do my job properly and get justice for the victims.

You will find it will be the same with you and MA/SD. I can't tell you how long it will take, but it will happen over time. Just stay with it and one day you will realize it is something you are aware of (you won't lose your humanity), but it doesn't bother you as it used to.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've found doing first aid on a person or plucking and prepping a dead bird to be very different to inflicting injury.

I don't see it. Was the first aid recipient injured due to you? If you did it, why are you fixing them? If it was SD it's not your responsibility. It's their fault. If it's MA training, then fix your partner. The two are not the same & not equal.

Sent from my Thunderbolt on Tapatalk. Excuse the auto-correct spelling errors.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, I was Slightly Nervous the First Time I went to Participate in Full Contact Sparring.

Then Adrenalin Kicked In :)

OP
Monroe

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't see it. Was the first aid recipient injured due to you? If you did it, why are you fixing them? If it was SD it's not your responsibility. It's their fault. If it's MA training, then fix your partner. The two are not the same & not equal.

First aid on relatives and coworker, but I didn't hurt them. I dont' see that being able to deal with dead animals and injuries is anything like purposefully injuring someone.

I'm hoping to become a little desensitized. Common sense says don't worry about hurting someone that's about to injure you, but that's not reflected by how I actually feel about it. I mean, I can take self-defence classes and learn to stab an attacker in the eye. As it stands right now, there's no way I'd actually do that. I'm hoping with work I can change that reaction. Hence, I'm wondering if I'm being realistic thinking that practicing MA enough, I'll stop being so squeamish.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First aid on relatives and coworker, but I didn't hurt them. I dont' see that being able to deal with dead animals and injuries is anything like purposefully injuring someone.

I'm hoping to become a little desensitized. Common sense says don't worry about hurting someone that's about to injure you, but that's not reflected by how I actually feel about it. I mean, I can take self-defence classes and learn to stab an attacker in the eye. As it stands right now, there's no way I'd actually do that. I'm hoping with work I can change that reaction. Hence, I'm wondering if I'm being realistic thinking that practicing MA enough, I'll stop being so squeamish.

Dead animals... Not dead, making them dead. There's a difference. People are easier because quite simply if you're in that situation, it's you or them. How badly do you want to live? Simply put.

It sounds like you're setting yourself up.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've told a few people that I'm starting MA classes and the ribbing has started. I sort of figured it would because I'm known for squirming through and not watching fight scenes. When they get really nasty, I jump up and fetch more drinks at the cinema or offer a cup of tea, beer, coffee something that will get me away from the screen. Anyone else start off squeamish? Did you have to do something besides MA first to get over it?I've seen and experienced violence irl, but I thought in a controlled environment I'd get better at facing it. I thought the two trial classes I did, I handled myself okay. I didn't ask anyone if they wanted a cup of tea at least. lol
I'm sure I've said this to someone before , imagine if somebody just slapped the **** out of your mother , would you feel squeamish at all in inflicting hurt on that individual?My guess is we would be having to pry you off the bastard with a crowbar.

OP
Monroe

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure I've said this to someone before , imagine if somebody just slapped the **** out of your mother , would you feel squeamish at all in inflicting hurt on that individual?My guess is we would be having to pry you off the bastard with a crowbar.

I'd probably hit them. I can't imagine I'd want to blind them.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd probably hit them. I can't imagine I'd want to blind them.

Hitting someone can Hurt them alot more than Blinding them.
Any kind of SD can and often does Seriously Harm an Individual.
All that comes down to You, is when you are Satisfied with their Incapacitation.

Even Slapping someone can Harm them, more than you may think.

Its all Situational.
But if youre not Willing to... Actually, just Read My Signature :)

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it also comes down to perspective. When you're at the movies, you're a totally passive observer with no opportunity to get involved, knowing full well that it's a work of fiction anyway. So you have the luxury of responding any way you want. Probably on some level your flinching and hitting the snack bar is a learned response that's become ingrained with time. None of which comes as a value judgement from me, it's just a thought.

First person is a radically different paradigm. It's highly personal of course, and you have a major stake riding on the outcome. Even if it's just in the safety of the dojo. You may find that you won't have time for any squeamish reaction because you're simply too busy in the throes of it - what with deflecting strikes and getting in some of your own. :whip1: It's just a matter of learning a new psychological response to replace your current one. If you're anything like me, your sense of fun will kick in pretty quickly and you'll start to swagger unconsciously. :uhyeah:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A lot of people mature as they train. While some Martial Arts are not for the squemish, others do quite nicely. After some years of training - you shouldn't be the same person you were when you started, you will have grown in ways you can't imagine yet.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Dude. Being squeamish and training in martial arts are completely unrelated. Go. Have fun. Train. If you are training in a martial art and enjoying it, then training in martial arts is for you.

Latest Discussions