Are all rash guards created equal?

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You do know that when you begin a roll you're supposed to have the gi tied right? When the gi is tied, the only exposed area of the shirt that could possibly catch your fingers is the collar area.

Dude no kidding that the gi is tied by the belt at the beginning. Obviously I'm talking about it coming loose during sparring.

But seriously, why would you be grabbing the t-shirt collar instead of the gi collar?

After nearly 10 years of training, you should know that it can happen. You've never grabbed some shirt by accident, ever? Even when someone's wearing a t-shirt too big or it gets pulled and stretches into a mess?

However, let's dive a bit further into your scenario where the gi is open, and your belt is thrown off; At that point in the roll, the t-shirt STILL wouldn't be that much of a threat to your fingers because the gi is a much better target for your grips.

If you want to play dirty, you can grab the t-shirt and collar choke him or something....and your finger(s) can still get caught.

If your finger is going to get caught, it's going to get caught on the gi which as you've just pointed out is far more looser than a sweaty t-shirt stuck to your body.

I even agreed that I never got hurt with the t-shirt....I'm just saying that it's possible so why risk it when it makes sense...but it's the Brazilian guy who owns these gyms, a 5th dan and been in the business for 40+ years with his father being in it for over 70 years of Judo and a 10th dan....they are the ones who set up this rule b/c obviously it happened before, especially in Judo with the throws.

In fact, I'm trying to think of a scenario where I would grab my partner's undershirt instead of the gi and I can't think of a single reason why I would go for a t-shirt grip over a gi grip or a natural grip. The control simply isn't there, and I stand a good chance of ripping my partner's shirt for no reason. If I want to control his body, I'd do under hooks and natural grips. If I want to control his neck and head, I'd either grab his gi collars, or grip the back of his neck.

Maybe you can help me out here?

Like if you miss the lapel or he breaks your grip, you can get some t-shirt to work back to the lapel. Standup throws can be a big hazard if your finger(s) get caught in the t-shirt.

Have you ever competed? T-shirts aren't allowed in most tournaments because they can be used as an advantage for you or against you. Even rashguards aren't allowed in most tourneys, under a gi, for the same reasons. The other reason is the risk of spraining or breaking fingers. So if most to all BJJ classes are "Sports BJJ", wouldn't it make sense to stick closest to the rules adopted by most to all BJJ tourneys worldwide?

This is not a

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is there a substantial enough difference between rash guards and t-shirts for the instructor to ban one but not the other?

Well the texture alone between the two, it's easy to see why your fingers can get caught in 1, way more than the other. The guy who set up this rule is a 5th dan in BJJ and something like 4th in Judo with 40+ years of exp. His father is 10th dan in Judo and that's his life/business pretty much. This is their rule, as well as other gyms including most (to all), BJJ tournament federations.

Personally, I never got hurt by a t-shirt, but why risk it? I've gotten my fingers sprained before by the gi, so I know that it can happen, so why risk it further by adding in such loose/stretchy materials of a t-shirt for?

The main argument as to why people want to wear a t-shirt vs. a gi....is probably b/c they don't want to spend the $20+ each, on decent rashguards vs. using some worn, out, old t-shirt that's due for the dumpster. But if you train hard, rashguards are worth their money b/c there's a lot of protection to your flesh and cuts down on catching bad stuff from dirty people too.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In all my years of training I've never seen someone get hurt by getting their fingers caught in a t-shirt under a gi. I suppose it's theoretically possible, but it seems like rather a low-probability danger to make a rule against. I have no problem complying if someone has a rule against it in their gym, but it seems a bit pointless.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well the texture alone between the two, it's easy to see why your fingers can get caught in 1, way more than the other. The guy who set up this rule is a 5th dan in BJJ and something like 4th in Judo with 40+ years of exp. His father is 10th dan in Judo and that's his life/business pretty much. This is their rule, as well as other gyms including most (to all), BJJ tournament federations.

Personally, I never got hurt by a t-shirt, but why risk it? I've gotten my fingers sprained before by the gi, so I know that it can happen, so why risk it further by adding in such loose/stretchy materials of a t-shirt for?

The main argument as to why people want to wear a t-shirt vs. a gi....is probably b/c they don't want to spend the $20+ each, on decent rashguards vs. using some worn, out, old t-shirt that's due for the dumpster. But if you train hard, rashguards are worth their money b/c there's a lot of protection to your flesh and cuts down on catching bad stuff from dirty people too.
Ok thanks, as they say - every day's a school day ;-)

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In all my years of training I've never seen someone get hurt by getting their fingers caught in a t-shirt under a gi. I suppose it's theoretically possible, but it seems like rather a low-probability danger to make a rule against. I have no problem complying if someone has a rule against it in their gym, but it seems a bit pointless.

Me neither....never injured by a t-shirt....but then again, never encountered many t-shirts due to this rule. Now I have gotten my finger sprained by a gi during hard sparring, so if a gi can do it, why increase the chance by a lot or even by a little, by allowing another layer of clothing that's very stretchy and loose?

Most BJJ gyms don't do the same amount of vigorous throws that Judo gyms do. And these Brazilians that I'm talking about, are from a long lineage of Japanese Judokas, so maybe they see much more of such fingers getting caught especially with all the grip fighting, transitioning right into various hip throws that full of power and built up momentum Also note that most to all BJJ tournaments, worldwide, don't allow t-shirts under gi's....and many, no rashguards under gi's neither. And in no-gi competition, it's definitely no t-shirt. Why not get used to such rules since most BJJ classes are tailored towards such Sports BJJ tourneys?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't understand why this is a big deal either way. If it's the rule, it's the rule. And also, I've never heard of anyone being injured.

But regarding the competition thing, many people wear a cup in class even though it's illegal in IBJJF competition and I'm not going to suggest they stop just because.
Me neither....never injured by a t-shirt....but then again, never encountered many t-shirts due to this rule. Now I have gotten my finger sprained by a gi during hard sparring, so if a gi can do it, why increase the chance by a lot or even by a little, by allowing another layer of clothing that's very stretchy and loose?

Most BJJ gyms don't do the same amount of vigorous throws that Judo gyms do. And these Brazilians that I'm talking about, are from a long lineage of Japanese Judokas, so maybe they see much more of such fingers getting caught especially with all the grip fighting, transitioning right into various hip throws that full of power and built up momentum Also note that most to all BJJ tournaments, worldwide, don't allow t-shirts under gi's....and many, no rashguards under gi's neither. And in no-gi competition, it's definitely no t-shirt. Why not get used to such rules since most BJJ classes are tailored towards such Sports BJJ tourneys?

Harry Flannagan

White Belt
Reaction score
It is meant to give extra protection and yes it might seem pointless but hygienically it's still serving it's purpose plus good quality rash guards like this brand and scramble with moisture-wicking technology helps keep you from just soiling under your gi.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Considering that you're grappling with a fairly loose kimono and pants on. Given that, I don't see how a t-shirt significantly raises your chances to the point where they would need to be banned entirely. Further, a form fitting t-shirt would be just as tight as a rash guard. The only exposed area of the shirt is the collar area, and with the gi especially there's little reason to be gripping the t-shirt underneath.

In any case, every gym has their rules, good rules and just plain stupid rules.

My foot has been caught playing guard against an open gi.
No injuries though.

They all come from shrimping on jigsaw mats.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is there a substantial enough difference between rash guards and t-shirts for the instructor to ban one but not the other?

Yeah. Rash guards are form fitted and don't catch limbs. T shirts do. Kickboxing is where I first was told it was an issue because it would catch body kicks. And was solved back in the day by tucking the shirt in.

Latest Discussions