Should I be germophobic or ?

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
okay so I've started bjj and I've been to my first Gi (ordered my Gi tonight) and non Gi class. With all the close contact and sweating and especially in the non Gi class because there's no barrier to catch the sweat I was wondering how prevalent catching some weird tropical disease would be? Lol not really that, but seriously how hygienic is bjj? I've heard about staph infections and ringworm, is there a strong possibility for something more serious? I've came home from both classes and taken a shower in dawn antibacterial soap lol. I'm not really a big germophobic person but I don't want to catch monosyphiliticgonoherpalitis lol

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been doing this a very long time and can count the number of staph infections and ring worm cases I've seen on my fingers.

Shower when you get home, cover your cuts, you'll be fine. If you get something you get antibiotics and it's gone in a week.

I've seen more people that have gotten ringworm from their dog then from grappling if that helps.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweat is essentially sterile. And the normal flora on the skin is the same as yours.
If someone is sick, they may have something you can catch, but it won't be from their sweat.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
sweat isn't sterile. o_O its the same rumor than urine being sterile.
hygiene should be essential in these gyms and if you smell someone from far away or see skinrash then just don't train with him. i never had an infection from grappling.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wear a rash guard under your gi. Wash your gi after each workout. Shower after your workouts. You should be fine.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
sweat isn't sterile. o_O its the same rumor than urine being sterile.
hygiene should be essential in these gyms and if you smell someone from far away or see skinrash then just don't train with him. i never had an infection from grappling.

It's not a rumor, it's a fact. Unless you have a UTI, urine is also sterile.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Does your school clean the mats throughly every day? Is there an emphasis on wearing clean gis? If not, then yeah... You have some cause for concern. Otherwise, not really. As others have suggested, the best defense is to take a shower after you roll.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
even if so, as long as skin has bacteria on it, its impossible for sweat to be sterile in a matter that counts. that urine is sterile people believed since some years ago, its refuted. also the believe, that since something is sterile, it would also be disinfecting...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just be smart and use common sense.

If there are shower facilities, wear flip-flops.
Do not share towels.
Wash your own gear on a regular basis and practice good hygiene.
Keep your fingernails and toenails trimmed and smooth, no jagged edges.

I have diabetes, and some minor neuropathy (insensitivity) in my feet. That means I have to pay particular attention to my feet to ensure that if I get a cut or abrasion, it does not become infected.

As an aside, if you commonly eat a lot of garlic or other foods which are known to 'sweat out' and smell rather bad, you might want to give that some thought. I've been around more than one martial artist who eats a lot of garlic as part of their normal diet, an although they cannot smell it themselves, they stink rather a lot. Don't be that guy.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse but after a few hundred hours on the matts I've never gotten any type of infection/ringworm/etc. I've met one person who has said they got something but that was at a competition. Must've been some super unhygienic person there. I always rinse off/shower with hot water as soon as I get home and throw my gi/rash guard into the washer. I have mild psoriasis and get rashes on my fingers and feet from the abrasion from rolling and still haven't caught anything.

OP
O

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just be smart and use common sense.

If there are shower facilities, wear flip-flops.
Do not share towels.
Wash your own gear on a regular basis and practice good hygiene.
Keep your fingernails and toenails trimmed and smooth, no jagged edges.

I have diabetes, and some minor neuropathy (insensitivity) in my feet. That means I have to pay particular attention to my feet to ensure that if I get a cut or abrasion, it does not become infected.

As an aside, if you commonly eat a lot of garlic or other foods which are known to 'sweat out' and smell rather bad, you might want to give that some thought. I've been around more than one martial artist who eats a lot of garlic as part of their normal diet, an although they cannot smell it themselves, they stink rather a lot. Don't be that guy.
I have diabetes as well and I'm always checking my feet, I got that one down pat lol

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Too many grapplers , bjj guys, wreslters. Smeel like armpits and ***. Wash your *** before practice please.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too many grapplers , bjj guys, wreslters. Smeel like armpits and ***. Wash your *** before practice please.

And can I add wash your Gi or whatever you train in, we had a guy who just took off his Gi, screwed it up and threw it in his bag until the next time he trained. Ugh.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sweat is essentially sterile. And the normal flora on the skin is the same as yours.
If someone is sick, they may have something you can catch, but it won't be from their sweat.
I seem to remember when Magic Johnson announced he was HIV positive, other players expressed concerns about his sweat coming into contact with their cuts during a game. Obviously those fears were unfounded.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The OP hasn't posted anything here in a month and a half. I'm worried that he may have caught Ebola and perished. That's always a risk when the gym doesn't clean the mats frequently enough.:dead:

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The OP hasn't posted anything here in a month and a half. I'm worried that he may have caught Ebola and perished. That's always a risk when the gym doesn't clean the mats frequently enough.:dead:
Not true. He's still rolling, but without a partner.
upload_2016-4-5_13-54-36.png

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I seem to remember when Magic Johnson announced he was HIV positive, other players expressed concerns about his sweat coming into contact with their cuts during a game. Obviously those fears were unfounded.

You are correct. Completely unfounded.