Application Question: Chung Mu

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, if it's the one were you are landing in a low stance with cossed feet and a double low block were you are crossing your wrists, it's originally for jumping on top of someone you have just thrown to the ground, and the hands are doing a (fairly standard) choking technique by pulling on both collars to seal of the arteries on both sides of the neck.
I have a hard time visualizing this. Seems like you'd be a few feet away from thier neck at best.

allpet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You're absolutely right. Thought it could be a jump like in pyong ahn 5.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I finally am getting off of my butt and learning Chung Mu. One thing that is striking me as odd though is the 360 jump-spin. I've been racking my brain to figure out an app for it and so far have come up with nothing.
I never did like that part of the form. It always seemed odd to do. Especially jumping in the opposite direction of where your handswords (knifehands) strike. I liked the form just not that part as well. To be honest I couldn't get my questions answered as to why the movement and other things.

After I switched instructors and years later I competed in a tournament against a women who did an excellent Chung Moo. I remember watching her thinking to myself that her Chung Moo was certainly much better than mine. Besides that, she was really cool to watch do the form as it was inteded to be.

leager330r

White Belt
Reaction score
This is the one part of the form that I am having a lot of trouble with. I am able to go clockwise with out much trouble, but when I go counterclockwise I lose my balance or do not complete the 360 (300).

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting this move down.

In our form (american karate) it goes from a staff block (rear hand on top) in a back stance jump 360 into sudo block back stance.

Thanks

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Okay, proposed alternate application: It is not a staff block, but a strike to the throat and groin, simultaneously (as either strike will give pause to most attackers, and if both manage to hit, it would hurt....a LOT....but that is not all, it turns into a grab. The jump and spin is to gain momentum to throw them down and out of the way behind you. The knife hand defense uses the recoil of the body landing to add controlled snap to the move, possibly suggesting it is a strike, not a block. At the very least, it is likely attacking a specific point on the next attacker's arm as he moves in. This knocks his arm out of the way so that he is open to the groin strike and rip that follows.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is the one part of the form that I am having a lot of trouble with. I am able to go clockwise with out much trouble, but when I go counterclockwise I lose my balance or do not complete the 360 (300).

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting this move down.
Standard advice is to jump 90 degrees, get that, go 180, and son on until you're comfortable with the full jump.