Anyone watch the matches streeming from copenhagen?

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You need silverlight installed on your computer, but you can watch live or old fights from the day. Pretty cool, although the fights have not been impressive yet. at least the ones I have watched, and I have NOT watched them all. But you get to see the new rules in effect.

http://usa-taekwondo.us/news/article/28182

OP
d1jinx

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
my favorite is lopez kicking his oponent in the head as he has his back turned falling toward the ground. The lopez stops the fight himself and declares the 3 points... are you serious, since when can a fighter stop his own match and call his BS 3 point head shot. cheap shot too.

and I cant stand that hopping on one leg ****.

watch match 0431 and you'll see whats wrong with tkd. 1:30 into the fight. video replay.... wow. fighters stopping fights and video replay. I wonder how much more boring this will get now if everyfighter stops the match for every kick they think they got.

gold medal performance eh.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When you are a world class fighter, or anything, then maybe you can criticize like that. Give credit where it is due.

ron

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you are a world class fighter, or anything, then maybe you can criticize like that. Give credit where it is due.

ron

Fighter or TKD player?

OP
d1jinx

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

ron

u didnt watch it huh. obviously.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw three fights, one was S.Lopez vs a guy from Spain.....mmmmm... boring very boring, also I saw a women match Mexico vs... Brasil the final score Bra 1 Mex 0 mmmm again nothin exiting and also saw another match but again I was desapointed.

Last sunday I want to a karate Shoto Kan tournament in my city it was a national champisonship and there I really see good fights (matches) in kumite,individual kata and team kata, not to critizise but this karate tournament was very exiting.

Still don't like the WTF matches sorry, just my point of view.

Manny

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't seen them yet-will try to watch when I get home from work (bad enough I spend part of my lunch on MT!:)

OP
d1jinx

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
so it over. I like the dartfish thing. Pretty cool how they have the fights to view and mark the spots on the video where points, warnings and other things happen. I found myself skimming fights based on how many marks it had on it to see the ones with the most action.

overall, there were many boring fights. but I did watch a couple that were pretty good.

So I got to see the new rules in action. So far, I like it. Probably the most obvious was awarding the other fighter points for your penalties. I saw that a factor in a few fights. And although I dont like seeing the fighter stop the match for a video review.... I do like the option. There were a couple that went to review that either added, or subtracted points that were erronious calls at first.

Also, as much as I think the new Hogus look like something from lasertag, I see alot of kicks that would normally score points (that shouldn't) not score. Alot of arm shots that many would have given a point for and some whimpy slap kicks that go unscored. I like that.

overall, I like the video playback they offered. what was once knowing someone who recorded that match to see it, has now gone to anyone can see it.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I like the new rules. I don't like the LaJust Hoguls. They are way to inconsistent. They definitely need more product development. I thought that both Lopez brother fought well Steven definitely changed his style to be more aggressive. What Danielle Pelham achieved is incredible. Many would have ranked her the least likely to medal at Worlds and now she is a World Champion. She is a testament to the fact that if you never quit and keep moving forward no matter how many setbacks or defeats you can achieve your goal.

Many people on this forum like to say that TKD Players can't fight. This is a misconception. Many of them are very tough Martial Artists who happen to love the sport of Olympic Style TKD. Most of the Olympic TKDist understand that the tactics in sport tkd and how they defend themselves are to different things. They also understand that the Olympic style would not work in MMA(UFC). The tactics used in Olympic Style Sport TKD work in that arena and that arena only. If you are from outside Olympic Sport TKD and you decided to step into Olympic Sport TKD you would get beaten. The same would happen to Olympic Sport TKDist if they tried to use their strategy in some other arena such as MMA or Sport Karate they would be beaten. Olympic Style Sport TKD is a Martial Sport. If you don't like it! OK I understand! Stop trying to compare it to other fighting arts it is Apples and Oranges.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well said! 99.99% of World Class Olympic style fighters would DESTROY most of the people that complain about them.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like the new rules. I don't like the LaJust Hoguls. They are way to inconsistent. They definitely need more product development. I thought that both Lopez brother fought well Steven definitely changed his style to be more aggressive. What Danielle Pelham achieved is incredible. Many would have ranked her the least likely to medal at Worlds and now she is a World Champion. She is a testament to the fact that if you never quit and keep moving forward no matter how many setbacks or defeats you can achieve your goal.

Many people on this forum like to say that TKD Players can't fight. This is a misconception. Many of them are very tough Martial Artists who happen to love the sport of Olympic Style TKD. Most of the Olympic TKDist understand that the tactics in sport tkd and how they defend themselves are to different things. They also understand that the Olympic style would not work in MMA(UFC). The tactics used in Olympic Style Sport TKD work in that arena and that arena only. If you are from outside Olympic Sport TKD and you decided to step into Olympic Sport TKD you would get beaten. The same would happen to Olympic Sport TKDist if they tried to use their strategy in some other arena such as MMA or Sport Karate they would be beaten. Olympic Style Sport TKD is a Martial Sport. If you don't like it! OK I understand! Stop trying to compare it to other fighting arts it is Apples and Oranges.
Well said G.

All I have to say is that the LaJust Hogu's have made the sport worst not better. From what I can see and from talking to many of the top fighters in the sport, they tend to wait more and don't want to take chances due to the fact that you now have to hit the hogu with the sensors on the sock and only a specific technique will assure you a point. Even if you hit the target but it is with the side of foot or slighty off of the sock sensor placement you wont get a point. So if aggressive you will most likely be countered and give up points.

Fighters don't even want to try for the head as much as this also leaves them open for counters more easily. It is easier to defend and counter than it is to attack so the game is now really boring and slow.

Even people at the top level that love the sport said that this WC was boring and that they did not like it. This includes me. I love watching WTF sport TKD but this WC was a real disappointment.

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
i want to watch the SIN vs USA -54kg M match... but they didnt upload it =\

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well said! 99.99% of World Class Olympic style fighters would DESTROY most of the people that complain about them.

It's tough to bite your tongue as I've been trying to when people post dreck like this. Just let it stop. I'm bored of the Olympic rules discussion. If you like it, fine, but don't take gratuitous shots at others. Especially since no one came into this thread or indeed any recent thread to make 'sport' of Olympic TKD.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's tough to bite your tongue as I've been trying to when people post dreck like this. Just let it stop. I'm bored of the Olympic rules discussion. If you like it, fine, but don't take gratuitous shots at others. Especially since no one came into this thread or indeed any recent thread to make 'sport' of Olympic TKD.

Don't bite your tongue.....Share

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No reason to. You can search by my name and get plenty of posts from me in the past about why I don't like Olympic TKD.

The point is, please don't call out people on the other side with unprovable statements. This place is a lot more pleasant when we get together to share information. No need to be combative since we've already wage those 'battles' very recently.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We have had many people state that Olympic Sport TKDists can't fight. This is a kid from our school. He currently doing MMA and training in Sport TKD. He fights in Tuff Enuff and is still active in Olympic Sport TKD. He will fight in the US Open. He understands the difference from Sport TKD and MMA. I have attached his fight he is still RAW but making improvement. His basic Martial Art is TKD. He is a good striker. He needs allot training in his ground work but he is a tough kid who is working hard to achieve his goals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have had many people state that Olympic Sport TKDists can't fight. This is a kid from our school. He currently doing MMA and training in Sport TKD. He fights in Tuff Enuff and is still active in Olympic Sport TKD. He will fight in the US Open. He understands the difference from Sport TKD and MMA. I have attached his fight he is still RAW but making improvement. His basic Martial Art is TKD. He is a good striker. He needs allot training in his ground work but he is a tough kid who is working hard to achieve his goals.

I certainly have never said Olympic TKDists can't fight, what I've said is that Olympic TKD isn't fighting, there's a difference there.
If I thought TKD people couldn't fight the Olympic stuff wouldn't bother me, it's the fact they can fight that makes the Olympic stuff so insipid and pointless.

Your lad did well in that fight. Many of our fighters come from a TKD/karate background so that style of fighting is very familiar to me. I don't suppose you could ask him to sunbathe with his top off lol? The white strap marks make him look a bit amateur, either a tan or not lol! (Before anyone moans it's a very very minor thing, it just made me smile)

Last edited by a moderator:

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
No reason to. You can search by my name and get plenty of posts from me in the past about why I don't like Olympic TKD.

The point is, please don't call out people on the other side with unprovable statements. This place is a lot more pleasant when we get together to share information. No need to be combative since we've already wage those 'battles' very recently.

I do not like Olimpic TKD either. Olimpic/WTF sparring is the only thing in my city and state, so if I want to see or compete in TKD I have to do it WTF/Olimpic way.

Even a guy is a good TKD competitor this is not equal to be a good fighter, in a competition we compete for earning points and earning a medal of trophy, in a fight we do not compete, we fight for our life or to avoid to be harm or maim and this is complety diferent from competions or tourneys.

Maybe I will suck competing but I can say in the streets I will use wahtever I have in me or next to me to destroy the BG.

Manny