• Debian

• Mandrake

• None

• What is Linux?

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
E

Elfan

On occasion when I don't feel like walking across campus to do comp sci work. Its not my primary OS.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a Debian GPS that's running 24/7 :)

She sits in the corner under my telephone, doesn't crash, and is my little angel!

ian@alice:~$ uptime
17:33:42 up 52 days, 16:52, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.02, 0.00

Ian.

OP
M

MisterMike

Originally posted by satans.barber
I have a Debian GPS that's running 24/7 :)

She sits in the corner under my telephone, doesn't crash, and is my little angel!

ian@alice:~$ uptime
17:33:42 up 52 days, 16:52, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.02, 0.00

Ian.

That's sweet. I used to run Debian, but now I go to RH. I also just saw there was a lengthly thread on this already - Doh! so I'll let this one die..haha

phoenix

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by MisterMike
What distribution are you running and how often?

Just built a new SuSE Linux box at work for my new Syslog server...just started playing around with it though...

Sean

OP
M

MisterMike

I just downloaded RedHat's new distro Fedora. Can't wait to see where this one goes...

OP
E

Elfan

I've joined a LUG at school and its dominated by Gentoo zeolots. The more vocal ones are very entertaining.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I have Fedora Core 1 on a spare machine that i'm setting up as a webserver to co-host at a friend's house (go go gadget business class cable!). I'm by no means a guru, but I can get around without too much trouble. Also have one friend who's a die-hard Gentoo user, and another who swears by Mandrake. /shrug

it's all in the flavoring I guess.

OP
O

omegatke1540

I mainly use Linux From Scratch (LFS), but I also have Debian, Fedora and Red Hat on two other computers...

-Scott

OP
E

Elfan

Do you use LFS on your primary desktop machine? If so, what do you use for package management?

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I haven't played with linux much. I mean to but just don't have much time. I am going to work with SUSE, RED HAT, and DEBIAN when I get the time. Also going check out Free BSD which is suppose to be more unix based.

I have tinkered with RED HAT 7.2 a little bit and liked it so I think that I'm going to play more with them and maybe work on getting the college I go to thinking about teaching it. They need an advanced computer class teaching servers, linux, and unix.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am really beginning to consider using Linux, Windows has become the bane of my existance. The only thing really stopping me from using Linux is that 1) I don't know jack about it, 2) I have heard that there is a certain trick in using it and getting use to it 3) AutoCAD isn't compatible with Linux (that I know of) and I have to be able to use AutoCAD... but that could be solved by setting up an additional hard drive for Windows

Hmm I dunno I would really like to get away from Windows.

OP
A

Akula

I am really beginning to consider using Linux, Windows has become the bane of my existance. The only thing really stopping me from using Linux is that 1) I don't know jack about it, 2) I have heard that there is a certain trick in using it and getting use to it 3) AutoCAD isn't compatible with Linux (that I know of) and I have to be able to use AutoCAD... but that could be solved by setting up an additional hard drive for Windows

1. Don't worry, once the graphical interface is up, you can get around just like windows.
2. The only trick I can think of, and this is with any computer, is make sure you're running a pretty solid firewall, with all the latest anti-virus, spyware detectors, and so on. Linux computers on the internet tend to attract a little more attention from the people out there wanting to take over your machine. Other than that, as an example, with Mandrake, the installation program is really straight-forward and easy to set up. Others take about the same amount of effort, other take quite a bit more.
3. Multiple hard drives and partitions are your friend. On one of my 'workhorse' computers, I have it set up as a tri-boot. First off, use something on the linux side like LILO to work as the bootloader. When this computer boots, I can go into Linux, Windows 2000, or Windows NT (XP has been banned from every computer in the office). Using the tools provided on the linux side, I can see and interact with all of my directories and files on the Windows side, however Windows doesn't play nice and won't read the Linux drive.

Do you want to move away from Windows, or Microsoft in general? Just curious. By the way, for office applications, I usually use OpenOffice. It can read/write the Microsoft Office formats, and even output as Acrobat.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
HELLLLP!!!! please....

I am running centOS linux, and I am searching for a good place to find drivers/software... and input would be greatly appreciated as I am a linux dummie.

Thanks

-Josh

OP
R

rmcpeek

I've used Red Hat since 7.x. Running Fedora now. Good stuff.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dubljay said:
HELLLLP!!!! please....

I am running centOS linux, and I am searching for a good place to find drivers/software... and input would be greatly appreciated as I am a linux dummie.

Thanks

-Josh
err... Yum? I assume that is there, just find the repos and add them to the list...

What kind of drivers/ software?

Personally I run Ubuntu, which is Debian based (apt / synaptic make getting software so much easier)

CentOS is a Red Hat Enterprise Ed clone, makes sense for servers, but not one I would really choose for dekstop usage... It works of course, but that is not really its goal.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Andrew, Centos is ok... I've had no problems installing it and what not, but like you said it seems to be a bit more server oriented.

I checked out Ubuntu and it looks pretty cool, their download feature seems to be not working, but apparently they are shipping CD's free of charge? and info on that?

Thanks again.

-Josh

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dubljay said:
Thanks for the info Andrew, Centos is ok... I've had no problems installing it and what not, but like you said it seems to be a bit more server oriented.

I checked out Ubuntu and it looks pretty cool, their download feature seems to be not working, but apparently they are shipping CD's free of charge? and info on that?

Thanks again.

-Josh
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/download/

Seems ok too me... I'm sure there are some torrents around somewhere too.

But yes, they'll send you the cd's free, they even pay the postage.

It's become one of the most popular distrobutions in the past 6 months, certainely the one getting the most hype.

Latest Discussions