Results are only viewable after voting.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm running Centos on my main servers and other than a few initial hiccups it's been pretty solid. It's focus is the server market though I think. I've had good luck with Suse and Mandrake (Now, mandriva?) on the desktop.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, Mandrake aquired Connectiva and is now called Mandriva... Strange name depending on how you read it...

Personally I've tried Fedora, Mandrake, Simply Mepis, VidaLinux, Knoppix and Ubuntu.

Knoppix is a good rescue disk.

Mandrake was pretty good, but the recent commercial aspects didn't feel right, I also found it a little unstable at times.

Fedora was pretty much the same, and at the time the package managment and repo synchronization was not so good.

Simply Mepis I liked, and it is still on my computer at work, but I'll be replacing it with Ubuntu when I get a chance. Some of the interface things where a little off.

VidaLinux didn't last long... As a gentoo system adding software means compiling it first, which means it takes a very long time, even if the result is a fast system.

Suse has apparently crippled Media playback pretty badly in the latest, but Novell behind it gives it a strong base to stand on.

But right now, Ubuntu takes the win. The documentation is excellent, the Debian base gives a huge software selection easily available. And Canonical's business ethics can't be matched.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right now I run FC3, before that I had RH9...although I'm waiting for my Ubuntu CDs to arrive, we'll see how it looks...

I've also been think into trying slackware...it's pretty popular in the circles I run, because Paul Volkerding, the maintainer of Slackware, attended my university.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Just threw my hat in to the Ubuntu craze and ordered CD's from them. Got the x86, and the AMD64 native flavors coming. Anyone have a guestimate on how long they take? (guessing the standard 6-8 weeks)

Just a quick comment, I had a LOT of trouble getting SuSE installed. Might have been a conflicting piece of hardware, but in the end I got fed up with it and put Fedora Core 2 back on it. Worked like a champ again. Gentoo is on it right now, and as nice as the software is, it's too much of a PITA to setup.

Latest Discussions