Anyone sucessfully recover from sore throat using trad. medicine?

Yew

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If no, could the failure of traditional chinese medicine to cure it be because of the lack of emphasis on the subject of viruses?

If yes, is it because the herbs used to get rid of the Fo/"Fire" in the body contains ingredients that are anti-Fire and that somehow makes you better because sore throat+flu viruses are in reality really heat based organisms(?) ?

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If no, could the failure of traditional chinese medicine to cure it be because of the lack of emphasis on the subject of viruses?

I don't think the earlier Chinese medicine works knew about virus as we do today however there are works on Malaria and different types of Pathology which is named Wind,Cold so on Pathology. But how much Chinese medicine knew about virus in earlier times I don't know but there does seem to be some sort of knowledge and theory of how it is contacted,spreads and treatment.

There are works now that do deal with virus such as Clinical Handbook of internal medicine vol.3 Books on HIV/AIDS
Some work by Bob Flaw a well respected writer did a piece on Bird Flu:
http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/mpacms/at/article.php?id=30465
We can see in modern times Chinese medicine is adapting Western concepts and fitting them into Chinese medicines mold.

If yes, is it because the herbs used to get rid of the Fo/"Fire" in the body contains ingredients that are anti-Fire and that somehow makes you better because sore throat+flu viruses are in reality really heat based organisms(?) ?
Really depends on what is causing a sore throat. Is it Viral,Bacterial,Strain,Allergies? Then depends on the herbs Western or Chinese? Most herbs are going to sooth and deal with inflamation. Some herbs such as Isatidis Radix is used for Sore throat among other things http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69268.cfm
Honey Suckle is another herb common in use for Sore throat. Things like Field Mint,Sage,Ginger and so on are also used to treat sore throats.

OP
Y

Yew

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Honey Suckle is another herb common in use for Sore throat. Things like Field Mint,Sage,Ginger and so on are also used to treat sore throats.

Are there cases of chinese traditional doctors using only chinese herbs making the sore throat go away quicker without resorting to western medicine?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am hesitant to answer this because I have a bad feeling about this thread but I will answer just the same.

Are there cases of chinese traditional doctors using only chinese herbs making the sore throat go away quicker without resorting to western medicine?

Well since a true traditional Chinese Medical Doctor would not resort to Western medicine then I guess the answer is no.

But then as already stated it depends on what is causing the sore throat as to the TCM treatment. TCM tends to look for and treat the cause where western medicine treats the result. And from a TCM point of view not all sore throats are the same and they do not have the same cause so the way a good TCM OMD may treat your sore throat may be different than a good TCM OMD treats mine.

But should a real live TCM doc find that your sore throat is say cancer based then it is damn likely they would refer you to a Western MD. And there are other things they would do the same thing for. Any good, real TCM OMD is fully aware that there are certain things that TCM is much better at treating and there are things that Western medicine is much better at treating.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know about JUST using Herbs only.
I would think Acupuncture would either be the first choice or supplement herbal treatment depending on the Doctors treatment. Points like LI-11,
LI-1, and ST-40-44 make sense to help fight phlegm,reduce fever and treat sore throat. I don't think a TCM doctor would resort to Western medicine because it is out of their scope of practice(not to say they do not know it) they can not switch to writing precriptions for an antibotic any more than a Western Doctor can write a prescription for Chinese herbs. Usually both Doctor have either a PDA or some basic knowledge of each others craft.

Latest Discussions