Anyone know this Guy?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apparently so far only in the negative as far as this board goes.

He looks like he affiliates himself with the ITF and General Choi, and given his rank, you would think someone in the ITF has heard of him.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He looks like he affiliates himself with the ITF and General Choi, and given his rank, you would think someone in the ITF has heard of him.

Sure would be easier if the ITF gave a listing of his blackbelts.

Apparently he is part of the International Original Taekwondo Federation. I have no idea about this organization one way or the other. He is listed under their site though. I'll let the taekwondo cats talk about the IOTF, though. That's not my world.

http://www.iotf.info/

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
E

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

You would think especialy since his time line of getting an ITF 9th Dan in 1997 would make him either the most Senior 9th dan or second most senior. At one point he had something on the web, now gone about General Choi rpomoting him at some secret meeting.

At one point I sent him an e-mail becuase another fellow was putting together a list of ITF BBs with their cert #s. I asked for his certificate numbers. His did respond but did not provide specific information. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You would think especialy since his time line of getting an ITF 9th Dan in 1997 would make him either the most Senior 9th dan or second most senior. At one point he had something on the web, now gone about General Choi rpomoting him at some secret meeting.

At one point I sent him an e-mail becuase another fellow was putting together a list of ITF BBs with their cert #s. I asked for his certificate numbers. His did respond but did not provide specific information. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

At this point it sounds like you're hinting at something you would be better off taking to the investigations thread.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Horror Stories: "Horror Stories" are both the sad and the funny. Like the "Darwin Awards", you will both laugh and be shocked by some of these. Tales of training gone awry, and instructors gone bad.

Investigations: For the announcement of, updating and results of ongoing investigations into cases of consumer fraud. All posters comments are their own responsibility and liability.Although the administrators and moderators of MartialTalk.com will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of MartialTalk.com nor its staff will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By posting here, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
The owners of MartialTalk.com reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Please note that the rules regarding fraudbusting, challenge posts, and personal attacks remain in effect in the Investigations forum, though they are given slightly more leeway.

OP
E

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, this is really a coincidence. This guy shows up at page 15 of the current issue of Totally TKD.

blackbelt3

White Belt
Reaction score

How does someone not know this man? Just because someone doesn't have a name like Chuck Norris and goes around flaunting everything doesn't mean he's not who he says he is. Grand Master Kirschbaum has studied martial arts for over 50 years now. Most of you probably don't even have that amount of time combined. He started the martial arts circuit in wisconsin back in the 60's and 70's. Won world titles in professional fighting from 1977-1982 in the light heavyweight division. Grand Master Kirschbaum has trained his whole life and still is. He trained with General Choi Hong Hi, Father of Taekwon-Do until his passing in 2002. I think it is quite ridiculous that you people bash someone like this. Is it because you never had the chance to train with the people that he's trained with? I have known him my whole life. I know his truths. Just because his resume of martial arts looks quite extensive doesn't mean its not real. This man has devoted his LIFE to what he does and studies. Shame on you for trying to discredit someone.

You can find me on facebook with any questions. Sabumnim Tabitha Kirschbaum (Daughter of Grand Master Kirschbaum)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
welcome to the insane asylum....

but why resurrect this old thread?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
welcome to the insane asylum....

but why resurrect this old thread?
Read the last sentence...at a guess, went on google to search his name, saw this thread, and did not like what she saw. Although as far as I know, no one definitively discredited him in this thread, just posted some reservations about him/the org the bio was from.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Read the last sentence...at a guess, went on google to search his name, saw this thread, and did not like what she saw. Although as far as I know, no one definitively discredited him in this thread, just posted some reservations about him/the org the bio was from.

I read it....I always read the last post on resurrected zombie threads...

at one point you leave well enough alone.... :)

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I read it....I always read the last post on resurrected zombie threads...

at one point you leave well enough alone.... :)

I don't have a problem with someone bringing back an old thread. Because I know I don't have to read it. If you saw an old thread where someone you knew and respected was being discredited (or you thought they were) wouldn't you try to set the record straight? Or, because it's an old thread, just ignore it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
as a forum veteran....once it drops off page one, best to leave it there....

I know I for one will now lay awake again, wondering how the man found time to do all those MA things....all while presumably holdign a day job and spending time with family.

in the end, nothing gained from pushing it back up front.

OP
E

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
He trained with General Choi Hong Hi, Father of Taekwon-Do until his passing in 2002.

. Shame on you for trying to discredit someone.

You can find me on facebook with any questions. Sabumnim Tabitha Kirschbaum (Daughter of Grand Master Kirschbaum)

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting.

Questions have been asked and remain unanswered. Specificaly with what appears to be ITF 7-8-9th Dan rankings under General Choi.

There are sites putting together lists of ITF Dans and numbers. There is a lot of missing information (So abscence does not mean rank is not genuine.) which is solicited from any and all sources to provide a more complete list.

There is no information for 7-8-9. Would you care to provide ITF certificate numbers for those ranks?

OP
E

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a followup, raising a question about experiences with someone has no bearing on the subjects abilities or knowledge. I for one tyoicaly only rely either on my firsthand experience to form an opinion, or in some cases rely on the firsthanmd experience of someone I know well.

A recent experience highlights this. About 15 years ago I was at a knife course and was introduced to the Karambit wich I found to be an interesting weapon. About 10-12 years ago I was in a used bookstore and found an entir book written on thei weapon by Steve Tarani whom I never herd of. Then a few months ago a friend invites me to a knife course. I ask who the instructor is and he says "Steve Tarani".
Suffice it to say that having been to about 6 knife courses before this one, --- it was the best. To be fair the thrust (pun intended) was a little different since a portion was devoted to accessing and using your gun if confronted with a knife as a portion was geared toward military and LEOs. That material was outside the scope of the other courses.

So, few probably know of Mr. Tarani, yet his material and abilities were top notch.

Latest Discussions