Anyone know this Guy?

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't know anyone on that site. You guys should check the videos on www.ninjasdoexist.com. local guy who went from a 1st dan in some form of karate 3 years ago to a 6th degree in ? Teaching ?. I can't figure it out myself.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Amazing. All those guys in Washington state and I don't know one (none near me) and none in Portland.

Josh Oakley ... can you tell us about this organization?

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Amazing. All those guys in Washington state and I don't know one (none near me) and none in Portland.

Josh Oakley ... can you tell us about this organization?

Oh lord.... Can I just say it seemed like a good idea at the time? Only people I can vouch for on that list are Peter and Sukki. Peter was my student when I was in USSD and already a black belt in Shorinji Kenpo before he came to me, and Sukki was Wing Chun Do. All the Washington guys are good people, most are very good martial artists as well.

There is an aikijutsu guy on there in Washington. He didn't train under Frank. I used to meet up with him at the coffee shop next to my dojo for chess and talking about martial arts.

Dux... Let's be honest, wouldn't matter if I vouched for him or not. He is a good instructor. I think a lot of the criticisms about him are misinformed. I think some of them are his own damn fault. Besides, like elder put it, I WAS his student. My reasons for leaving are my own and not anybody else's business.

Asia Kim I think I talked to once over the phone, some times on Facebook. I won't vouch for him.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As for the organization itself... What can I say that hasn't been said already, for or against? I do not think I have ever gotten my money's worth out of it. They recognized my rank under frank as Sempai. All the events are in the south. Some in south Africa.

They are also called the International Fighting Arts Association. Whether or not that is a post hoc add-on I don't know.

I do know they don't normally let black belts into the club. I wasn't one at the time. Really not sure if I am one now, because Dux wasn't clear on it. So I don't claim to be.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually let me amend something. Sky Benson is a great teacher. I vouch for him without reservation. I did not take a whole lot of lessons with him, but every one I took was fun, insightful, and he cares deeply about his students. Plus... $20 for a two hour class, and even then only if I could pay? Can't beat that.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
There is an aikijutsu guy on there in Washington. He didn't train under Frank. I used to meet up with him at the coffee shop next to my dojo for chess and talking about martial arts.

er....I'm sure he's a nice guy, but Yamate ryu isn't "aikijutsu.

Otherwise, Josh-thanks for your candor. :asian:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dux... Let's be honest, wouldn't matter if I vouched for him or not. He is a good instructor. I think a lot of the criticisms about him are misinformed. I think some of them are his own damn fault. Besides, like elder put it, I WAS his student. My reasons for leaving are my own and not anybody else's business.

I met Shihan Dux last year or a couple of years ago at a function. He seemed like a very nice man, and we didn't really talk about his background. He is very tall (much taller than Jean Claude Van Damme) and in shape I would say. Did you leave him recently?

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I met Shihan Dux last year or a couple of years ago at a function. He seemed like a very nice man, and we didn't really talk about his background. He is very tall (much taller than Jean Claude Van Damme) and in shape I would say. Did you leave him recently?

Hanshi Dux, not Shihan.

I moved out around August of last year (I was his live in student). I stopped talking to him around the end of October. Like I said, he is a very good instructor. He is a nice guy, too. Has a LOT of charisma.

Despite our recent falling out, and all that is associated with that, I won't denigrate the man. I still hold respect for him.

Though yes, he really is surprisingly tall.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
er....I'm sure he's a nice guy, but Yamate ryu isn't "aikijutsu.

Otherwise, Josh-thanks for your candor. :asian:

Meh. He called it that. I don't know anything about aikijutsu OF yamate-ryu. You're probably right. I won't lie, I don't care enough about either art to really look into it.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You'll notice I am listed under that website as well. Then again, you SHOULD be suspicious of me. I am a sneaky bastard.

So I guess you can tell something about the organization and its leader?

EDIT: Oops! Sorry, I see you did. I should have read the rest of the thread. Thanks for your input and insight.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
See? My sneakiness abounds! No why you didn't see it the first time?

Ninja magic *waves hands around all mysterious-like*.

*vanishes in a puff of smoke*

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So I guess you can tell something about the organization and its leader?

EDIT: Oops! Sorry, I see you did. I should have read the rest of the thread. Thanks for your input and insight.

There is a board of masters. The ones I can remember are Stuffed Van Vurren, Lawrence Day, Dux, and some other people.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Josh, I really appreciate you being so open and willing to post what you did. I realize I kinda put you on the spot, but in light of so very many orgs and schools who get raked over the coals that have no representation on the board here, I thought it might be fair to them (and to you) to seek some clarity.

Thanks again for your replies here! :asian:

Latest Discussions