Anyone here do Sun style?

Kensai

Black Belt
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
693
Reaction score
3
Location
West Midlands
I'm looking at starting this soon, and have been reading up on it. It seems to be quite a fast style of tai chi (from what I've read - having no experience at all, this is all I have to go on) with relatively high stances, nimble footwork etc.

I'm curious as to how many others may do this style/variant of tai chi, and the major differences between other styles. I've asked a less in depth version of this question on a similar(ish) thread, but wanted some more input. Kudos to XS for providing some help in my original post.
 

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Messages
33,963
Reaction score
8,985
Location
North American Tectonic Plate
I think a month after your first post we can assume the answer is a resounding no.

I think I may have asked this same question before with the same resault

I am looking forward to hearing about how the Sun class you are going to go to goes.
 

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Joined
Sep 21, 2005
Messages
15,196
Reaction score
4,853
Location
San Francisco
Sorry, I neglected to get involved here. I do a little Sun style. I do a long form, some 70 or 80 moves or so I think, depending on how you count them. I do like it, but I focus more on my Chen style. All my Tai Chi takes a bit of a back seat to my external training while I am still a strapping young man of 35. When I get older I imagine my Tai Chi training will gradually move into a position of greater focus.

Sun is very different from Chen and Yang. The stances do tend to be higher, altho I've seen pics in Tai Chi magazines and stuff of some people taking the stances quite low. The stances in Sun are different. There is more from Xing-I and Bagua in it. Of course Sun Lu Tang was an accomplished Xing-I and Bagua guy, and I believe a good friend of Yang Cheng Fu. These things all influenced his Tai Chi.

Our Sun Style is actually from Fu style. I don't remember Fu's full name, sorry. Fu was a friend of Sun, and developed his own system that includes both internal and external elements, including Sun Style. Fu is probably most well known for Fu Style Bagua, spinning on the heel and whatnot. My teacher knows Madame Sun, and I believe how we do things is a bit different from the direct Sun lineage.

Anyway, anecdotal story here. I had been working on Chen for a while, and the tendon below my right kneecap had become very tender. This had happened once before, and returned. It didn't seem to want to go away, and stayed sore for like a year or so. It really interferred with my training during that time. Anyway, I began to learn the Sun form, and within a couple months or so the pain left my kneecap, and never returned. This was about 5 or 6 years ago. I don't really know what caused it to get better. Maybe the higher stances in Sun, maybe something inherently "healing" about Sun, maybe just shifting my focus somewhat away from Chen for a while which is known for causing knee problems if done wrong, or overdone, I don't know what actually did it. But I like to attribute it to Sun.

I can't claim to be very good at Sun, and I don't practice it as much as the Chen and my external stuff. But I do it and keep it in my back pocket for a rainy day, so to speak.

I don't really believe I am very good at any of my tai chi, to be honest. I do a few forms, certainly not as much as I should, but enough to be comfortable with them. I cannot claim to understand Chi flow and stuff. On occasion I feel something, usually burning heat in the palm of my hand that might be remedial chi flow, but I cannot control it or make it happen at will. I suppose that sometimes things just accidentally line up and it manages to squeek out. But I just keep doing them with whatever dedication I am able, and hopefully in another 40 years or so I will know better what is going on, when I am too old to do White Crane anymore...
 

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Messages
33,963
Reaction score
8,985
Location
North American Tectonic Plate
Flying Crane said:
Sorry, I neglected to get involved here. I do a little Sun style. I do a long form, some 70 or 80 moves or so I think, depending on how you count them. I do like it, but I focus more on my Chen style. All my Tai Chi takes a bit of a back seat to my external training while I am still a strapping young man of 35. When I get older I imagine my Tai Chi training will gradually move into a position of greater focus.

Sun is very different from Chen and Yang. The stances do tend to be higher, altho I've seen pics in Tai Chi magazines and stuff of some people taking the stances quite low. The stances in Sun are different. There is more from Xing-I and Bagua in it. Of course Sun Lu Tang was an accomplished Xing-I and Bagua guy, and I believe a good friend of Yang Cheng Fu. These things all influenced his Tai Chi.

Our Sun Style is actually from Fu style. I don't remember Fu's full name, sorry. Fu was a friend of Sun, and developed his own system that includes both internal and external elements, including Sun Style. Fu is probably most well known for Fu Style Bagua, spinning on the heel and whatnot. My teacher knows Madame Sun, and I believe how we do things is a bit different from the direct Sun lineage.

Anyway, anecdotal story here. I had been working on Chen for a while, and the tendon below my right kneecap had become very tender. This had happened once before, and returned. It didn't seem to want to go away, and stayed sore for like a year or so. It really interferred with my training during that time. Anyway, I began to learn the Sun form, and within a couple months or so the pain left my kneecap, and never returned. This was about 5 or 6 years ago. I don't really know what caused it to get better. Maybe the higher stances in Sun, maybe something inherently "healing" about Sun, maybe just shifting my focus somewhat away from Chen for a while which is known for causing knee problems if done wrong, or overdone, I don't know what actually did it. But I like to attribute it to Sun.

I can't claim to be very good at Sun, and I don't practice it as much as the Chen and my external stuff. But I do it and keep it in my back pocket for a rainy day, so to speak.

I don't really believe I am very good at any of my tai chi, to be honest. I do a few forms, certainly not as much as I should, but enough to be comfortable with them. I cannot claim to understand Chi flow and stuff. On occasion I feel something, usually burning heat in the palm of my hand that might be remedial chi flow, but I cannot control it or make it happen at will. I suppose that sometimes things just accidentally line up and it manages to squeek out. But I just keep doing them with whatever dedication I am able, and hopefully in another 40 years or so I will know better what is going on, when I am too old to do White Crane anymore...

Oh sure back when I ask I get no answer but when Kensai oh sure, Thats it I'm closing Xuefu :)

Cool you do Sun, I have wanted to hear form an actual Sun person about Sun style.

You mentioned Xingyi and Bagua elements. How do they manifest themselves as compared to Yang style or Chen style, which has no such influence?
 

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Joined
Sep 21, 2005
Messages
15,196
Reaction score
4,853
Location
San Francisco
Xue Sheng said:
Oh sure back when I ask I get no answer but when Kensai oh sure, Thats it I'm closing Xuefu :)

Cool you do Sun, I have wanted to hear form an actual Sun person about Sun style.

You mentioned Xingyi and Bagua elements. How do they manifest themselves as compared to Yang style or Chen style, which has no such influence?

Well, since I don't actually train Xing-i and Bagua, I can't give a lot of depth, but some of the stances certainly are similar to the basic stance in Xing-i, and I think this stance is often found in Bagua as well. that is where I see it most. I guess now that I think about it, some of the hand techs in the set are very "spirally" and I think that might be a bagua influence. If these other arts were part of my training I'd give you more info.

By the way, close down Xuefu if you want, but it's too late for you. I am Number Two, and I know it all and I will carry on with it and do what I will no matter what you say!
icon12.gif
 

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Messages
33,963
Reaction score
8,985
Location
North American Tectonic Plate
Flying Crane said:
Well, since I don't actually train Xing-i and Bagua, I can't give a lot of depth, but some of the stances certainly are similar to the basic stance in Xing-i, and I think this stance is often found in Bagua as well. that is where I see it most. I guess now that I think about it, some of the hand techs in the set are very "spirally" and I think that might be a bagua influence. If these other arts were part of my training I'd give you more info.

By the way, close down Xuefu if you want, but it's too late for you. I am Number Two, and I know it all and I will carry on with it and do what I will no matter what you say!
icon12.gif

Thanks, I would like to find out more about Sun Style, but I understand without training Xingyi and Bagua it is had to say.

One of these days I got to find me a teacher that knows Sun and check it out. But here on the opposite coast they are hard to find. But I am getting ahead of myself, first back to Chen.

OK, I will continue on with Xuefu, I still have to obtain my goal of world domination. We have both coasts covered and now that I know you train Sun....we are one step closer (Insert Diabolic laughter here) :)
 
OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
693
Reaction score
3
Location
West Midlands
Odd, when I tried posting, it failed.

I was going to say that I start my Sun style training on Sunday, I'm looking forward to it greatly. I've wanted to do some tai chi for some time now. When I spoke to my instructor over the phone the other day, he was quite pleased that I do Wing Chun also. Not sure why....
 

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Messages
33,963
Reaction score
8,985
Location
North American Tectonic Plate
Odd, when I tried posting, it failed.

I was going to say that I start my Sun style training on Sunday, I'm looking forward to it greatly. I've wanted to do some tai chi for some time now. When I spoke to my instructor over the phone the other day, he was quite pleased that I do Wing Chun also. Not sure why....

Parts of chi sau of Wing Chun (the sensitivity) can transfer to push hands of Tai Chi. Also you have done stance training in Wing Chun forms and hopefully he feels that since you have Wing Chun experience that you will want to learn the martial side of Sun style.


Let us know how the class went.
 
OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
693
Reaction score
3
Location
West Midlands
Parts of chi sau of Wing Chun (the sensitivity) can transfer to push hands of Tai Chi. Also you have done stance training in Wing Chun forms and hopefully he feels that since you have Wing Chun experience that you will want to learn the martial side of Sun style.


Let us know how the class went.

Yeah, I'd go with that. When I spoke to him and mentioned Wing Chun, he immediately mentioned that Tai Chi had very firmly rooted martial applications. He was v quick to point that out. I had a positive impression of him even on a phone call.
 

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Messages
33,963
Reaction score
8,985
Location
North American Tectonic Plate
Yeah, I'd go with that. When I spoke to him and mentioned Wing Chun, he immediately mentioned that Tai Chi had very firmly rooted martial applications. He was v quick to point that out. I had a positive impression of him even on a phone call.

This sounds like a good Tai Chi school, so far. I will be interested in hearing what you think after you go.

I wouldn't mind checking it out myself but most unfortunately it is a bit to far for me to commute. I really got to look into the submarine option for my next car.
 
OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
693
Reaction score
3
Location
West Midlands
This sounds like a good Tai Chi school, so far. I will be interested in hearing what you think after you go.

I wouldn't mind checking it out myself but most unfortunately it is a bit to far for me to commute. I really got to look into the submarine option for my next car.

Yep, sounds like a submarine, or perhaps a plane would be a good investment. :)

This is the link http://www.deyin-taiji.com/

The bloke I spoke to was Dary, seemed very friendly, pretty cool.
 

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Messages
33,963
Reaction score
8,985
Location
North American Tectonic Plate
Yep, sounds like a submarine, or perhaps a plane would be a good investment. :)

This is the link http://www.deyin-taiji.com/

The bloke I spoke to was Dary, seemed very friendly, pretty cool.

Thanks for the link. I see they have some Xingyiquan as well.

Let me know how it goes.

And the plane option might be better now that you mention it, that way I could fly to Beijing too.
 
OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
693
Reaction score
3
Location
West Midlands
Thanks for the link. I see they have some Xingyiquan as well.

Let me know how it goes.

And the plane option might be better now that you mention it, that way I could fly to Beijing too.

Yep, a sub would also be difficult considering we're 70 miles inland... *rubs chin, looks thoughtful*....

What's Xingyiquan by the way?
 

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Messages
33,963
Reaction score
8,985
Location
North American Tectonic Plate
Yep, a sub would also be difficult considering we're 70 miles inland... *rubs chin, looks thoughtful*....

What's Xingyiquan by the way?

I was thinking the sub might work if I get up enough speed. But then I have to consider the return trip and I just can't figure out the logistics of getting the sub 70 miles back to the ocean.

Xingyi - I use to do this and I rather liked it, there is a lot of power in Xingyi. I did 5-element, 5-element cascade and just touched on 12 animals.

Xingyiquan
http://www.answers.com/topic/xingyiquan
 
OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
693
Reaction score
3
Location
West Midlands
I was thinking the sub might work if I get up enough speed. But then I have to consider the return trip and I just can't figure out the logistics of getting the sub 70 miles back to the ocean.

Xingyi - I use to do this and I rather liked it, there is a lot of power in Xingyi. I did 5-element, 5-element cascade and just touched on 12 animals.

Xingyiquan
http://www.answers.com/topic/xingyiquan

Nice one, thanks for that mate. Hadn't realised they did that, where did you read that on the site?

Check that, just seen the link for it.
 

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Messages
33,963
Reaction score
8,985
Location
North American Tectonic Plate
Ummm....??? :confused:

It took me a minute too. But it is because of the following quote from Crane

Our Sun Style is actually from Fu style. I don't remember Fu's full name, sorry. Fu was a friend of Sun, and developed his own system that includes both internal and external elements, including Sun Style. Fu is probably most well known for Fu Style Bagua, spinning on the heel and whatnot. My teacher knows Madame Sun, and I believe how we do things is a bit different from the direct Sun lineage.
 
OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
693
Reaction score
3
Location
West Midlands
Aaah... I see now. :)

I didn't go today. Became a father instead. Tut, bloody kids. ;)

Oh well, will just have to wait a little longer to start it. :) :) :) :) :)
 

Latest Discussions

Top