Opinions on potential Chen Schools please

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hi all, quick question here. What's the thought on weight training and it's effects on Taiji? The reason I ask is that my other passion is downhill mountain biking where it pays to have some strength and endurance. Because of this, I do some pushups and chinups three times a week. My goal is not to get big, just have decent strength and some extra muscle to help keep joints intact in case of a tumble. I'd imagine that over-reliance on muscle runs counter to the principles of Taiji, so I'm wondering what's the "line in the sand", so to speak.

Cheers all!

That is not true. You must use your muscles or you can't move, it is just you use them in unity. Chen Xiaowang has no problem with strength training, after you know how to unite upper and lower. It is just that it might be counter productive early in your training to if you focus on training individual muscles and not look at it form a POV of whole body unity. The idea is to not use force or force against force or muscle tenseness or to "depend" on strength

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is just that it might be counter productive early in your training to if you focus on training individual muscles and not look at it form a POV of whole body unity.
Yes. Use muscles, but together, distributed. As many as possible, mechanically. We must not isolate.

OP
Kurt L.

Kurt L.

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the clarification. Using them in unity, as opposed to isolation. That actually make much more sense to me.

Cheers all!

OP
Kurt L.

Kurt L.

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, quick question about silk reeling. How much are people's knees moving forth and back during the turn-the-waist portion of silk reeling? My instructor has pointed out mine are moving too much. I see in the video below that he doesn't go too low, which seems to make it easier to not excessively move the knees. Perhaps I am going too low? It would seem that as the femur approaches horizontal it becomes increasingly hard to not move knees back and forth.

Cheers all!

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi, quick question about silk reeling. How much are people's knees moving forth and back during the turn-the-waist portion of silk reeling? My instructor has pointed out mine are moving too much. I see in the video below that he doesn't go too low, which seems to make it easier to not excessively move the knees. Perhaps I am going too low? It would seem that as the femur approaches horizontal it becomes increasingly hard to not move knees back and forth.

Cheers all!

Is that Zhu Tiancai son?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
That is not true. You must use your muscles or you can't move, it is just you use them in unity. Chen Xiaowang has no problem with strength training, after you know how to unite upper and lower. It is just that it might be counter productive early in your training to if you focus on training individual muscles and not look at it form a POV of whole body unity. The idea is to not use force or force against force or muscle tenseness or to "depend" on strength

Chen Xiowang training cost him a knee surgery.

OP
Kurt L.

Kurt L.

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks very much Xue Sheng, I was hoping you'd point me in the right direction.

OP
Kurt L.

Kurt L.

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just dropping in briefly to let people know I'm still practicing and still grateful for all the help I've gotten here.
I've learnt the 4,13, and 72 (74) forms. Very very basic.... so now onto corrections!

Cheers :)

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Chen Xiowang training cost him a knee surgery.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------\CXW did need treatment for a knee injury-IMO NOT from his own training
but from a hard teaching schedule. He is doing fine,

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
------------------------------------------------------------------------------\CXW did need treatment for a knee injury-IMO NOT from his own training
but from a hard teaching schedule. He is doing fine,

Yes he is clapping hands a lot and do a lot of ZZ corrections - very hard on his knees

Latest Discussions