Anyone here do Sun style?

Taijiman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I guess the thread is kind of old, but you've got another Sun style person here (just the short 73 move form though :p).

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess the thread is kind of old, but you've got another Sun style person here (just the short 73 move form though :p).

Excellent, I've just gone back to Wing Chun last night, and will be looking to start Sun style over the coming weeks. What's your experience of it?

Taijiman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I really like it. The foot/stance work really feels much better on my knees than other styles (I've got a metal screw in my right knee :p). I really prefer the follow step too... closer to real fighting footwork, and the applications are relatively easy to grasp and see. Here's a nice demo if you haven't seen much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22BwmDM9Xmg&mode=related&search=

That's Sun Peng, Sun Lu Tang's grandson.

Here's the short form that I do:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Finally! After much waiting, I had my first Sun Style Tai Chi class this morning. Was great!! Nice atmosphere, nice instructor, good mix of people from 17 to 70. It was only a beginners class, but I could sure feel it on the ol' legs. My teacher said, that tai chi done properly, although highly relaxing in itself, your body should still know that it's been trained. Lots of pushing forward with the knees, low(ish) stances and fluid movement made for a great time. By the end of the class, I could remember all of what had been taught. In my opinion, it was taught at just the right pace. My teacher also mentioned that in his opinion, while it was perfectly ok for tai chi to be learned "for health", or for "self defence", it was his view that just learning tai chi will be useful for both. So, as a result, he would demonstrate at full speed, the slower movements, and the contexts with which they could be used in a fight. A really, really nice bloke too. A fiver a class is hardly a drain on the ol' funds either.
Next week, they're staging a "Tai Chi in the park" event at a local park to me. Last year it had the attention of the local BBC, so should be a good event, and useful for raising the awareness.

:ultracool

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Finally! After much waiting, I had my first Sun Style Tai Chi class this morning. Was great!! Nice atmosphere, nice instructor, good mix of people from 17 to 70. It was only a beginners class, but I could sure feel it on the ol' legs. My teacher said, that tai chi done properly, although highly relaxing in itself, your body should still know that it's been trained. Lots of pushing forward with the knees, low(ish) stances and fluid movement made for a great time. By the end of the class, I could remember all of what had been taught. In my opinion, it was taught at just the right pace. My teacher also mentioned that in his opinion, while it was perfectly ok for tai chi to be learned "for health", or for "self defence", it was his view that just learning tai chi will be useful for both. So, as a result, he would demonstrate at full speed, the slower movements, and the contexts with which they could be used in a fight. A really, really nice bloke too. A fiver a class is hardly a drain on the ol' funds either.
Next week, they're staging a "Tai Chi in the park" event at a local park to me. Last year it had the attention of the local BBC, so should be a good event, and useful for raising the awareness.

:ultracool

Hey Kensai, congrads on yr first Sun Taiji class! Sounds like a good 'un.
Hope yr little tacker is doing well too btw.
icon7.gif

Know it's a little late to put my oar in, but i just finished learning the Sun 73 form late last year. My Ba gua teacher decided that we really needed to learn some Xing yi and Sun style Taiji to get a proper appreciation of ba gua, so we've been diversifying our training somewhat to accomadate that.
Personally i see more xing yi in the Sun style form than ba gua, what with the following back foot and the direct hand work, although there is a couple of ba gua style steps and waist movements in there too. All the Taiji i'd done before i leant this was Yang and the comp 42, so it was a very different feel. I actually found it quite a difficult counterpoint to the aggressiveness of xing yi... part of me wondered why we were learning this when we could get the dynamics mainly from our xing yi training, but i guess it's to remind us to remain soft, even in a very direct and uncompromising syle...

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Kensai, congrads on yr first Sun Taiji class! Sounds like a good 'un.
Hope yr little tacker is doing well too btw.
icon7.gif

Know it's a little late to put my oar in, but i just finished learning the Sun 73 form late last year. My Ba gua teacher decided that we really needed to learn some Xing yi and Sun style Taiji to get a proper appreciation of ba gua, so we've been diversifying our training somewhat to accomadate that.
Personally i see more xing yi in the Sun style form than ba gua, what with the following back foot and the direct hand work, although there is a couple of ba gua style steps and waist movements in there too. All the Taiji i'd done before i leant this was Yang and the comp 42, so it was a very different feel. I actually found it quite a difficult counterpoint to the aggressiveness of xing yi... part of me wondered why we were learning this when we could get the dynamics mainly from our xing yi training, but i guess it's to remind us to remain soft, even in a very direct and uncompromising syle...

Thanks mate. Little one's ok. Just found out though that she has a blocked kidney, and may require surgery. She's grand other than that though, very bright and smiley.

I'm eagerly awaiting my next class now. I find it's really set up me up for the day. Put me in a great mood for the rest of the day. I can't speak from experience about similarities or differences between this and other internal arts, so forgive my ignorance. Am having fun learning though. :)

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks mate. Little one's ok. Just found out though that she has a blocked kidney, and may require surgery. She's grand other than that though, very bright and smiley.

I'm eagerly awaiting my next class now. I find it's really set up me up for the day. Put me in a great mood for the rest of the day. I can't speak from experience about similarities or differences between this and other internal arts, so forgive my ignorance. Am having fun learning though. :)

Yeah, having fun is the most important thing i reckon! Otherwise why would we do it?
icon7.gif
Training is the highlight of my day too (when i'm not injured... *sigh*) Certainly there is no need for you to apologise for being a beginner... otherwise i'd spend half my life wandering about apologising to ppl!
icon12.gif

Hope yr little one comes through her health concerns with flying colours btw... best wishes to her.

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, having fun is the most important thing i reckon! Otherwise why would we do it?
icon7.gif
Training is the highlight of my day too (when i'm not injured... *sigh*) Certainly there is no need for you to apologise for being a beginner... otherwise i'd spend half my life wandering about apologising to ppl!
icon12.gif

Hope yr little one comes through her health concerns with flying colours btw... best wishes to her.

Bang on mate, without fun, what's the point in anything. Lol. :) I've been going over the basic moves since my first class, and while it's early days, everything flows from one to the next, which is an obvious thing to say, but Wing Chun, my "main art" is fairly straight forward. Although still has it's little gems. :)

I'll PM you if that's ok?

Latest Discussions