Anyone have experience with curled finger pushups?

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been looking for ways to continue strengthening my grip and I came across curled finger pushups. It seems that I, and many others, do finger pushups "wrong". I have attached a YouTube video that demonstrates this.

As soon as I tried this method of pushups, I pretty much collapsed because I was not strong enough. I am excited to achieve this level of strength but I am unsure of how to get there. As of right now, I am simply doing my best to do these pushups on a wall and gradually increase the angle. Can you recommend any other exercises to help with this? I am currently also considering pullups on a gi, and gym-plate holds with my pinching strength.

OLD DOG NEW TRICKS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have been looking for ways to continue strengthening my grip and I came across curled finger pushups. It seems that I, and many others, do finger pushups "wrong". I have attached a YouTube video that demonstrates this.

As soon as I tried this method of pushups, I pretty much collapsed because I was not strong enough. I am excited to achieve this level of strength but I am unsure of how to get there. As of right now, I am simply doing my best to do these pushups on a wall and gradually increase the angle. Can you recommend any other exercises to help with this? I am currently also considering pullups on a gi, and gym-plate holds with my pinching strength.
Hello, a bad lesson in poor judgement to share.. I used to do them when I was 20 years old and 240 pounds. I tried them 20 years later at 280 and dislocated both my thumbs. I was amazed at what happened and like an overconfident fool I tried it again, not advisable. Lol

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Try putting a ball under the palm of your hand and keep your finger tips in the correct form, not splayed. As you get stronger rely on the ball less and less.
That seems interesting I will definitely try it, thank you.

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello, a bad lesson in poor judgement to share.. I used to do them when I was 20 years old and 240 pounds. I tried them 20 years later at 280 and dislocated both my thumbs. I was amazed at what happened and like an overconfident fool I tried it again, not advisable. Lol
I am aware of the dangers of such exercises, but I am also willing to take the risk.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried something like this Wringer Pro, instead? It is twisted and the resistance can be adjusted with the blue knob. A few twists using the prescribed exercises and your forearms will be screaming in with fatigue and the risk of injury is minimal. It doesn’t even aggravate my Tennis/Golf elbow!
D66B43EE-44AA-4146-9339-E4BB653EBDD2.jpeg

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you tried something like this Wringer Pro, instead? It is twisted and the resistance can be adjusted with the blue knob. A few twists using the prescribed exercises and your forearms will be screaming in with fatigue and the risk of injury is minimal. It doesn’t even aggravate my Tennis/Golf elbow!
View attachment 28312
I have never heard of this device. How much does it cost and where did you buy it? Is it a medicinal device?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the company’s website-

I bought mine from Amazon as it was free postage (Prime) compared to buying directly. It costs £119 ($155) but is built like the proverbial tank, is heavy, tough and user-serviceable should it be required. I was amazed how quickly a few twists made my forearms ache . For me, as a person practising a sword art, it is perfect and I love it. Here are the recommended exercises-

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh boy, one of my favorites.

This is easy to learn, he trick is the medium.

That dude is clawing mud. Totally different from carpet, which is different from flooring, and so on.

On carpet or flooring these should only be done with the fingers splayed outward (he way he says is not ideal). Otherwise you're gonna hurt your fingers.

Sand is great for this! Perfect beach pushup. Rock climbers do all sorts of stuff like this.

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you want to develop bent finger strength as opposed to just grip or squeezing strength you can do what I guess might best be described as tiger claw finger push ups. Place your hands on a wall with a tiger claw position (fingers pulled back, but tips facing forwards), lock your elbows into your ribs and then use your finger strength to straighten them, pushing you away from the wall. The more of an angle against the wall, the harder it becomes. You can also do it against a desk or the floor and just put a little of your weight into the arm.

It really helps strengthen along the back of the hand, which can help if you get pain there from overuse of a mouse, for example.

If you can't quite visualise what I mean, it's demonstrated in this video:

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh boy, one of my favorites.

This is easy to learn, he trick is the medium.

That dude is clawing mud. Totally different from carpet, which is different from flooring, and so on.

On carpet or flooring these should only be done with the fingers splayed outward (he way he says is not ideal). Otherwise you're gonna hurt your fingers.

Sand is great for this! Perfect beach pushup. Rock climbers do all sorts of stuff like this.
Does this this slightly defeats the purpose? By doing fingertip press-ups on a soft surface, the load will be distributed to whichever part of the hand the particulate rests upon. I think they should performed on a flat unyielding surface such as granite…🤔 or diamond 😉😀

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does this this slightly defeats the purpose? By doing fingertip press-ups on a soft surface, the load will be distributed to whichever part of the hand the particulate rests upon. I think they should performed on a flat unyielding surface such as granite…🤔 or diamond 😉😀
The SEAL who invented the Perfect Pushup basically had the same idea. It's not meant for better muscle activation, but safer and more stable pushups with less wrist strain, with the idea that this makes the exercise more comfortable with a better sense of control and balance, theoretically then you can do more in a set.

I think the idea that you get stronger fingertips from this is goofy (there are a lot of better grip exercises). But as far as I know, tactile senses have shown to be a great contributor for controlling overall body balance, and that's the "secret" to this. The claw pushup is probably a more balanced exercise than the standard palm down pushup, as far as your brain and sensory system are concerned.

Not 100% sure this study supports the idea but I think it might. Somebody more technical than me can probably zip through this quickly.

milewski

White Belt
Reaction score
We practice both finger and fingertip, as we teach it we have students start on their knees ankles crossed and progress out from there, the more you extend out on knees the more difficult till you fially do them in full push-up position.

Ji Yuu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

This is the only way I was shown to do finger pushups.
Another good way to strengthen fingers/grip is to do eagle claw exercises with smooth rim jars (use water to weight them)

Ji Yuu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Try putting a ball under the palm of your hand and keep your finger tips in the correct form, not splayed. As you get stronger rely on the ball less and less.
That is a very good training idea!

Latest Discussions