Is it okay to train forearms outside of regular training?

hugh jameson

White Belt
Reaction score
If you're doing a crapload of pushups and pullups and other things for martial arts training, is it a bad idea to also do wrist curls, crush grippers, pinch plates, and do heavy holds to strengthen your forearms? I'm afraid I'd over train my forearms since most fighting workouts are all body weight calisthenics that are already putting constant pressure on your arms.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum hugh.
I would not think so. An exception may be if intense forearm training somehow slowed down your arm/hand techniques. I cannot picture a way this could happen however. There are certain shoulder/neck/Trap exercises that are proven to slow a punch and certain Quad exercises proven to slow a kick.
Possibly balance a small portion of your outside workouts with some speed training?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you're doing a crapload of pushups and pullups and other things for martial arts training, is it a bad idea to also do wrist curls, crush grippers, pinch plates, and do heavy holds to strengthen your forearms? I'm afraid I'd over train my forearms since most fighting workouts are all body weight calisthenics that are already putting constant pressure on your arms.
the key to progress is adequate recovery, but push up and pull ups arnt really hitting you grip/wrist strength, so not doing it would seem to leave a big hole in your training, just make sure you have some recovery time

im of the opinion that doing a '' crap load of push ups'' isnt the best use of your time, anyway, so give up the crap and build some other exercises into you training

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

If you overdo it, you'll know.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recommend climbing. Those dudes have grip(and core) strength second to none

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Welcome to Martial Talk, Hugh. Hope you enjoy it.

It's very difficult to overwork your forearms. I mean, sure, it can be done, but it's unlikely. Forearm work really adds to your punching ability.....once you have good punching ability, that is.

The bulging disc you mentioned in your other post is probably more important to be careful about though. Make sure you keep your core in killer shape to offset any disc problems in your lower back.

As for physical therapists, it depends on the physical therapist. I worked in a physical therapy unit for a few years that specialized in sports medicine. Some therapists were more experienced/knowledgeable than others.

In the meantime....go work those forearms, brother. Work them until you cry. I dare you!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the meantime....go work those forearms, brother. Work them until you cry. I dare you!
Please don't forget legs though, don't be that guy with the ripped top and arms but with the skinny spindly legs! :D:D

OP
H

hugh jameson

White Belt
Reaction score
the key to progress is adequate recovery, but push up and pull ups arnt really hitting you grip/wrist strength, so not doing it would seem to leave a big hole in your training, just make sure you have some recovery time

im of the opinion that doing a '' crap load of push ups'' isnt the best use of your time, anyway, so give up the crap and build some other exercises into you training

What other exercises? I have a bulging disc so I can't do any explosive bendy twisty fighter kettlebell stuff, I planned on heavy dumbbell floor presses and then after I do those move onto pushups, I thought pushups were great for fighters?

OP
H

hugh jameson

White Belt
Reaction score
Please don't forget legs though, don't be that guy with the ripped top and arms but with the skinny spindly legs! :D:D

Well I trained my legs horribly for a year, literally just doing 3 sets of 10 leg press, 3 sets leg curls and extensions weekly and could leg press 550 for those sets, can't squat cause bulging disc FML. I got bad DNA /:

OP
H

hugh jameson

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Hugh. Hope you enjoy it.

It's very difficult to overwork your forearms. I mean, sure, it can be done, but it's unlikely. Forearm work really adds to your punching ability.....once you have good punching ability, that is.

The bulging disc you mentioned in your other post is probably more important to be careful about though. Make sure you keep your core in killer shape to offset any disc problems in your lower back.

As for physical therapists, it depends on the physical therapist. I worked in a physical therapy unit for a few years that specialized in sports medicine. Some therapists were more experienced/knowledgeable than others.

Thanks, I know about the physical therapist thing, there's therapists who are insanely informed about lifting and then the ones I'm stuck with, who include 50 year old ladies that told me bench press is an exercise to train your back.

OP
H

hugh jameson

White Belt
Reaction score
If you overdo it, you'll know.

Trust me I know. I was in physical therapy for months because of repetitive strain injury, could barely hold onto a water bottle, and typing or even clicking the remote would make my forearms insanely stiff and painful, needed my forearms painfully squeezed by therapists for months just for them to work slightly normal. I constantly, 24/7 feel like my forearms are exhausted and weak, like they're permanently fatigued, not good I know.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What other exercises? I have a bulging disc so I can't do any explosive bendy twisty fighter kettlebell stuff, I planned on heavy dumbbell floor presses and then after I do those move onto pushups, I thought pushups were great for fighters?
push ups are good, but there's a diminishing return, every 10 you add to the total did you less benefit than the 10 before and the 10 before that.

look at different variations to make the exercise more difficult rather than just keep increasing numbers, so, do them very slowly, feet up, archer press ups, diamond push ups pike push ups( if your back will stand it,) handstand push ups, don't forget dips, there's literally dozens of variations pushing your own body weight, then get a weighted vest

if you get to twenty reps, is time to make it more difficult again

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From my experience, heavy dumbbells are better for MA/fighters than barbells. They do a better job of isolating body parts (shoulders, arms, etc...) and making you balance the loads. Sounds like you already know how so you can use the heavier dumbbells to work your core as well. Pushups are fine but at some point you will have to add weight.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you lot say 'PT' do you mean physiotherapists or physical training instructors? Here in the UK physiotherapists are very well trained medical professionals with a wealth of knowledge within their remit, often more than doctors know, as they admit, which is why they send you to them. Here it is regulated by law so you can only practice is you are qualified and registered.
Careers FAQs

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you lot say 'PT' do you mean physiotherapists or physical training instructors? Here in the UK physiotherapists are very well trained medical professionals with a wealth of knowledge within their remit, often more than doctors know, as they admit, which is why they send you to them. Here it is regulated by law so you can only practice is you are qualified and registered.
Careers FAQs
PTs are physical therapists on our side of the pond. More or less the same thing as your physiotherapists. They are highly qualified medical professionals; currently every educational program for them, minus I think 3 in the entire country, is a doctorate level program. Plus board certification. Of course there are some individuals that aren’t good, but that’s true of every profession.

Latest Discussions