Anybody here into martial arts tricks?

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL, Tess and Seig. You two are too funny. Anyway, I think your brown belt has it backwards. Learn good technique first, then try the tricks. But not during sparring, damn it! lol. The tricks are only for show. They don't have any real purpose, but boy are they fun :D And for demo's, they look pretty cool, too.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Laurie,
The reason I did it to him to begin with is that i wasn't paying attention (trying to watch someone else and talk and spar) and he had me, the only thing I could do was fall back on a trick. He wasn't expecting it and I popped him. Sometimes, when arrogance apints you in a corner, a trick (treachery) is all that will save you.
Seig

OP
W

white dragon

I love tricks and actually got into them mainly via www.bilang.com and a combination of taking up break dancing. The later was done to help improve my balance and speed... honest :D

I'm not amazing at tricks and most are WAY over my head (no pun intended) but it's a case of try and try again. I think learning them has helped improve me as a martial artist as it's let me know my limitations more and imrpove upon some of them. Also there's nothing cooler than doing a 540 with two cresent kicks and landing both of them on a guys head before hitting the ground! :) It workds in training, next competition I SO want to give it a go ;)

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Seig.

Yep, I agree. Experience always wins :D Even if he got ya off guard :)

White dragon.

If ya can do it (tricks) while sparring, more power to ya. But when I spar, I don't go for the fancy stuff (eventhough it could be fun). I mainly go for technique. Simple is more 9 times outta 10, and it works for me to stick with the basics in sparring. I mainly do tricks because it's fun. I don't use them for anything, but for "show".

OP
W

white dragon

ah don't get me wrong, I'm never going to do a butterfly kick or a flash kick on the mats :D But if I'm going to do a cresent kick, why not follow it up with a spin outer cresent? And then why not make that one move by doing them as a jump? There's a clear line between what would work in a fight situation and what, let's be honest, just looks damn cool! :)

Latest Discussions