Anybody else sick of XMA?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Very true.

I view XMA to traditional MA and MMA like I do graphic novels as compared with classical art architecture. Some of those guys and gals are excellent artists. They could be putting their time and energy into traditional style painting or architectural design, perhaps getting their work displayed in a national gallery or being asked to pen an important structure. Instead they are just drawing comics.

But that is what they enjoy. Perhaps later in life, they will have an interest in the more traditional arts. But for now, they do what they love to do and are physically able to do.

Daniel
I believe that one of the biggest mistakes we can make is to presume that our goals are other peoples' goals (or should be). This is particularly true where kids are concerned in matters of finding creative or athletic outlets. If the kids' goal was to be a traditional martial artist or to get into the Olympics, you guys are absolutely right. Gymnastics, judo, TKD or wrestling would definitely be better suited... that is, unless XMA works its way into the Olympic canon.

As a side note, here, I'd much rather watch XMA than ice dancing... but that's just me.

I've learned that my kids' goals aren't my goals, just as every generation takes things we have held as traditional and made them new. It's a natural cycle. Rock and Roll was the death of music, and yet we still have contemporary "classical" music being composed. Some kids learn to play the electric guitar while others learn to play the cello. As long as they're learning something, I'm on board.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only problem I could see with XMA is IF they were teaching it as SD and it wasn't. I know little about it tbh so don't know what they teach so don't want to judge them, a lot of MAs say they teach you to defend yourself but in reality don't. I don't know if XMA is like this or not but other than that and my personal jealousy of these young people lol I can't see anything wrong with it. I would rather have kids do something than nothing and if you can do it, it does look fun.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The only problem I could see with XMA is IF they were teaching it as SD and it wasn't. I know little about it tbh so don't know what they teach so don't want to judge them, a lot of MAs say they teach you to defend yourself but in reality don't. I don't know if XMA is like this or not but other than that and my personal jealousy of these young people lol I can't see anything wrong with it. I would rather have kids do something than nothing and if you can do it, it does look fun.
EXACTLY! And for all of these reasons, I'm completely baffled that adults, particularly adults who allege to have a stake in teaching or coaching kids, would have a problem at all with it. Makes no sense to me.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
EXACTLY! And for all of these reasons, I'm completely baffled that adults, particularly adults who allege to have a stake in teaching or coaching kids, would have a problem at all with it. Makes no sense to me.

It's not XMA, but I'm pained when I watch so-called "shitei" compulsary kata in sport karate tournaments. It's a gross modification of the original form in an attempt to standardize something that should be style-specific for the mere goal of allowing competition among Goju-ryu, Shito-ryu, Wado-ryu, and Shotokan karate-ka.

XMA just takes much the same idea to the extreme. LOL.

UpTheIrons

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm not tired of it because I don't watch it or take it seriously. If someone wants to do it, more power to them, but to me it's just gymnastics with kicks.

I'm more tired of MMA because (a) the fighters and fans seem to be ill mannered jerks (b) all the magazines are falling over themselves trying to put the fighters on the cover and (c) it passes itself off as the be all-end all when it's just competition like anything else.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not tired of it because I don't watch it or take it seriously. If someone wants to do it, more power to them, but to me it's just gymnastics with kicks.

I'm more tired of MMA because (a) the fighters and fans seem to be ill mannered jerks (b) all the magazines are falling over themselves trying to put the fighters on the cover and (c) it passes itself off as the be all-end all when it's just competition like anything else.[/quote]

thanks for that slander.

Latest Discussions