Michael Moore

C

Cliarlaoch

Some may disagree with him, some may agree with him, but the guy's pretty good at stirring the pot. So I figured, what with all the controversy over Iraq and what'snot, I'd post a letter from Michael Moore to Bush. Granted, it was a bit late (since it was written in the days right before the US went to war), but it's still pretty good. NOTE: This is meant in good taste, not bashing... okay, possibly Bush bashing, but then, the French get bashed here, too, so... fair's fair. :p Anyway, not trying to bash, just trying to present alternative views on the world. Plus, it's funny. Keep in mind, Moore's an American, from Michigan.

(PS: Would have posted just the site, but the server's wonky)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
March 17, 2003

George W. Bush
1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington, DC

Dear Governor Bush:

So today is what you call "the moment of truth," the day that "France and
the rest of world have to show their cards on the table." I'm glad to hear
that this day has finally arrived. Because, I gotta tell ya, having survived
440 days of your lying and conniving, I wasn't sure if I could take much
more. So I'm glad to hear that today is Truth Day, 'cause I got a few truths
I would like to share with you:

1. There is virtually no one in America (talk radio nutters and Fox News
aside) who is gung-ho to go to war. Trust me on this one. Walk out of the
White House and on to any street in America and try to find five people who
are passionate about wanting to kill Iraqis. You won't find them! Why?
'Cause no Iraqis have ever come here and killed any of us! No Iraqi has even
threatened to do that. You see, this is how we average Americans think: If a
certain so-and-so is not perceived as a threat to our lives, then, believe
it or not, we don't want to kill him! Funny how that works!

2. The majority of Americans Ð the ones who never elected you Ð are not
fooled by your weapons of mass distraction. We know what the real issues are
that affect our daily lives Ð and none of them begin with I or end in Q.
Here's what threatens us: Two and a half million jobs lost since you took
office, the stock market having become a cruel joke, no one knowing if their
retirement funds are going to be there, gas now costs almost two dollars Ð
the list goes on and on. Bombing Iraq will not make any of this go away.
Only you need to go away for things to improve.

3. As Bill Maher said last week, how bad do you have to suck to lose a
popularity contest with Saddam Hussein? The whole world is against you, Mr.
Bush. Count your fellow Americans among them.

4. The Pope has said this war is wrong, that it is a Sin. The Pope! But even
worse, the Dixie Chicks have now come out against you! How bad does it have
to get before you realize that you are an army of one on this war? Of
course, this is a war you personally won't have to fight. Just like when you
went AWOL while the poor were shipped to Vietnam in your place.

5. Of the 535 members of Congress, only one (Sen. Johnson of South Dakota)
has an enlisted son or daughter in the armed forces! If you really want to
stand up for America, please send your twin daughters over to Kuwait right
now and let them don their chemical warfare suits. And let's see every
member of Congress with a child of military age also sacrifice their kids
for this war effort. What's that you say? You don't think so? Well, hey,
guess what Ð we don't think so either!

6. Finally, we love France. Yes, they have pulled some royal screw-ups. Yes,
some of them can be pretty damn annoying. But have you forgotten we wouldn't
even have this country known as America if it weren't for the French? That
it was their help in the Revolutionary War that won it for us? That our
greatest thinkers and founding fathers Ð Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin,
etc. Ð spent many years in Paris where they refined the concepts that lead
to our Declaration of Independence and our Constitution? That it was France
who gave us our Statue of Liberty, a Frenchman who built the Chevrolet, and
a pair of French brothers who invented the movies? And now they are doing
what only a good friend can do Ð tell you the truth about yourself,
straight, no b.s. Quit pissing on the French and thank them for getting it
right for once. You know, you really should have traveled more (like once)
before you took over. Your ignorance of the world has not only made you look
stupid, it has painted you into a corner you can't get out of.

Well, cheer up Ð there is good news. If you do go through with this war,
more than likely it will be over soon because I'm guessing there aren't a
lot of Iraqis willing to lay down their lives to protect Saddam Hussein.
After you "win" the war, you will enjoy a huge bump in the popularity polls
as everyone loves a winner Ð and who doesn't like to see a good ***-whoopin'
every now and then (especially when it 's some third world ***!). So try
your best to ride this victory all the way to next year's election. Of
course, that's still a long ways away, so we'll all get to have a good
hardy-har-har while we watch the economy sink even further down the toilet!

But, hey, who knows Ð maybe you'll find Osama a few days before the
election! See, start thinking like that! Keep hope alive! Kill Iraqis Ð they
got our oil!!

Yours,

Michael Moore

www.michaelmoore.com

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only thing about Roger and Me that was correct was the Rabbit Lady. :(

The rest was just grand standing for his own ego.

Yet, as everyone else does it, I guess why not him also. :rolleyes: :shrug:

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

Fair enough, Seig. Just presenting the view of said minority! :)

OP
S

sweeper

though I do think some of the points about france were worh noting, it wasn't realy untill the second world war that they became "push overs". Though I don't think france is apposed to it for the stated reason, and I don't think americans and french are as close as he states, I mean even when clinton went over there not alot got done (what was it he said? something like "well we agreed that some time way back when both of our ancestors came out of africa" ?)

OP
G

GouRonin

The UN Geneva convention says that no war can be sanctioned unless there has been an attack on someone first. Like in desert storm when they went into Kuwait. But the same UN didn't do anything when they should have because SH didn't do what he was told. Bush wants to go in and I tell you, a lot of people do. Maybe he jumped the gun, maybe he felt he couldn't wait.

As the kids of South park say...

"Dude, this is pretty %$#@ed up right here."

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

"It's pretty muddled."

Yeah... I'll say, Gou. At the risk of sounding bitter, cynical, and/or smugly egotistical (in other words, my usual self)...

Ain't it always?

Alright, here's the plan to solve that. I'll arbitrarily declare myself a sovereign state, then attack Kitchener in a blatant display of anti-social behaviour. That way, the US can have its war, the UN can have its happy consensus, and I can get the royal *** kicking I de---wait, no that'll never work. The US would never buy it, and the UN would probably think I had a right to self-determination. Darn. Okay, anybody else got any plans?

(If any of said plans involve the words "Nuke 'em all" or similar slogans involving appropriately bleeped out 4-letter words, you'll be heartily congratulated).

And yes, I AM hijacking my own thread. Feel free to ignore me.

OP
D

Dennis_Mahon

4. The Pope has said this war is wrong, that it is a Sin. The Pope!

Which is a blatant lie; the Pope said that the War did not, in his opinion, meet the criteria for a Just War. He didn't say it was a sin, nor does he have the authority to do so.

Besides, why would a racist Leninist like Moore care what the Pope thinks?

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

Originally posted by Dennis_Mahon

Besides, why would a racist Leninist like Moore care what the Pope thinks?

Actually, he's not a Leninist or a racist. He's left, sure, but he's not either of those things. And if anything he was exagerating. I don't deny that the man does THAT far too much. But he's no bigot.

Also, his family is Catholic, and he's an NRA member. Not exactly prime Leninism, there.
:rolleyes:

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Cliarlaoch
4. The Pope has said this war is wrong, that it is a Sin. The Pope!

The Pope also said making love outside of marriage is now ok as long as it's with someone you love.

I guess I can jerk off to my heart's content now and not be worried I'm going to hell.

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

Originally posted by GouRonin
The Pope also said making love outside of marriage is now ok as long as it's with someone you love.

I guess I can jerk off to my heart's content now and not be worried I'm going to hell.

AAAAAAAGH!

Yes, folks, that was the death rattle of a virgin overactive imagination.

OP
D

Dennis_Mahon

Actually, he's not a Leninist or a racist. He's left, sure, but he's not either of those things. And if anything he was exagerating. I don't deny that the man does THAT far too much. But he's no bigot.

Well, for a guy who entitle a book as Stupid White Men..., and has a chapter called "Kill ******", he must have some issues with race.
A friend and his wife were at a book signing in London last year, and relayed to me that Moore had made some graphic remarks concerning the violent tendencies of blacks, culminating with the comment: "If there had been any black guys on those flights, we wouldn't have had 9/11". Saying that blacks are inherently violent counts as racist in my book.

As for his political leanings, well, he might not be a Leninist, but he's not that far off.

:rolleyes: You've stop taking your meds again, haven't you, Gou?

OP
D

Dennis_Mahon

Well, for a guy who entitle a book as Stupid White Men..., and has a chapter called "Kill ******",

Huh. Didn't know that was a banned word.

My apologies to the moderators.

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

The Chapter was Kill ******. How is that a banned word? His commentary was also on the problems with white culture's prejudices against black people. Maybe I'm wrong here, but he's also a satirist, making FUN of the stereotypical view of African-Americans and others, and pointing out that's its no better than the Jim Crow laws and the more flagrant stereotypes before the Civil Rights Movement "officially" ended them.

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

Originally posted by Cliarlaoch
The Chapter was Kill ******.

Apologies to the Mods. Apparently it REALLY IS a banned word. Sorry about that. :(

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Why's it racist, exactly, to point out a few unpleasant facts about American history and contemporary society? I live in SoCal, right on the edge of Orange County---home of the John Birch Society, the Saucerians, and a few other little interesting nut groups. Much more to the point, the power structure in this country since 1776 has been run by and for white guys--sure, I'm aware of claims otherwise ("since affirmative action, a white man can't even...." yadda, yadda, yadda), and they're more expressive of class resentment than anything else.

Michael Moore--and I have no doubt he's pretty good at self-promotion--is about the only guy you hear of, at this point, who speaks up for working people. I guess if you do that, it's embarassing enough that all sorts of folks have to accuse you of, "starting a class war," or, "being a racist," or something equally silly.

Oh well. I liked Peter O'Toole's speech better, anyway.

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

Originally posted by rmcrobertson

Why, what did he say? I didn't actually watch the Oscars... mainly because I knew Chicago was going to win when we all know (or maybe just me) that the Lord of the Rings deserved it. Bah. Hollywood.

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by rmcrobertson
Why's it racist, exactly, to point out a few unpleasant facts about American history and contemporary society? I live in SoCal, right on the edge of Orange County---home of the John Birch Society, the Saucerians, and a few other little interesting nut groups. Much more to the point, the power structure in this country since 1776 has been run by and for white guys--sure, I'm aware of claims otherwise ("since affirmative action, a white man can't even...." yadda, yadda, yadda), and they're more expressive of class resentment than anything else.

Michael Moore--and I have no doubt he's pretty good at self-promotion--is about the only guy you hear of, at this point, who speaks up for working people. I guess if you do that, it's embarassing enough that all sorts of folks have to accuse you of, "starting a class war," or, "being a racist," or something equally silly.

Well, yes-- let entertainers do their jobs and entertain as Peter O'Toole is well aware but Moore is one of those hybrid celebrity personalities who combine social criticism with their ability to provoke a laugh (like say Harry Shearer, Arianna Huffington, and everyone's fav, Bill Maher).

the Hollywood annual self adminstered BJ otherwise known as the Oscars (sorry admins--) is a pathetic near cosmic banality that deserves little time or consideration but Moore's speech was certainly more entertaining than O'Toole's "hey, i know my place..." speech.

we do risk living our lives as if it's a fictious world-- everyday we go out and ignore the realities we face. we get by as thousands die and no one ever asks how that Nike shoe made its way to our feet.

peace.

peace.