Any older beginners out there?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I’ve looked at most and may expand to Manchester or Nashua if needed. I’ve spoken to the place in Lyndeborough and they require full vaccination to walk through the door.
Full vaccinations. Really!!!! Ran into that at a college tour a few months ago, the refused to let us go on the tour because we did not have the boosters.

Was that including booster, or would just the original shot or shots be enough?

There are other Aikido places, but they are much further away, over near Portsmouth

Found a Wing Chun school, but it may be to far away in Walpole NH

Martlet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Full vaccinations. Really!!!! Ran into that at a college tour a few months ago, the refused to let us go on the tour because we did not have the boosters.

Was that including booster, or would just the original shot or shots be enough?

There are other Aikido places, but they are much further away, over near Portsmouth

Found a Wing Chun school, but it may be to far away in Walpole NH

Thanks! I’ve done the google search and I’m looking at everything with a certain radius and if I don't find anything I expand the search. I have a few that I’ll do a trial with and see how it goes. I didn’t realize there would be this much difference in culture and cost between facilities.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks! I’ve done the google search and I’m looking at everything with a certain radius and if I don't find anything I expand the search. I have a few that I’ll do a trial with and see how it goes. I didn’t realize there would be this much difference in culture and cost between facilities.

There can be major differences. And I recommend you do not go to any place that requires a contract

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I started at 31, I did feel that old at the time. I put in 3 years of hard work before I injured my back and had to quit. I learned TKD which is more kick boxing at the time ( 1984). I am not that good, but I definitely no longer a beginner. Even after my back injury, I never stop practicing on my own, just paste myself. I am 69, I am still putting in 7hours a week with 1:1 between weights and MA on my own.

Just do it. Don't try extreme high kicks, that's how I injured myself with all the high kicks in TKD. Have a good diet, do some weight training. Those help you last longer. Hey, I am 69, I am still doing it.

Be persistent, think of those young kids you see now, in another 30 years, they likely be old and out of shape. If you keep up, you'll be laughing at them.

Hey, I out pushup my 22years old grandson 2 to 1. I definitely can whoop the asses of my two stepsons. They were 20 and 21 at the time. they were learning Kung Fu also. I whooped both of them at the time sparring!! Now, one has all sort of pain and have to walk slow. Hell, I can beat him with one hand tie to my back!!!

Just do it.

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a leather jacket older than 32
come to think of it, so do I

In any case.
When I started TKD, I was 34.
Having always been athletic, I did Ok, except for getting lost in Chong Chi, which in this style was literally 3 blocks and punches up and down. Cue Spongebob French Voice: Three Hours Later.......
Starting over is awkward. as if you have to learn how to walk all over again, and where your right and your left is.

I met a lady there who became my friend. She was 60 when she started.
She had arthritis, bum hips, you name it, the passing of time had not left her unscathed. She had limitations to what she could do. She excelled in other parts.
While she could barely get to kick above the belt line with a front or back kick, she could still knock your block off with a crescent kick!
Playing with shortsticks/Escrima, she was a fiend I would not want to meet in a state of anger.
She stuck it out for several years until she met a form that would not agree with her hips.
She reached Black Belt status with our organization.

The thing about martial arts is, that with each step you master, the next will become easier: If as a ley person you look at a black belt form, it makes no sense. When you work yourself up to that level you will learn the same form within a week or two (perfecting it is a never-ending process)

For my friend the training sessions were also therapeutic. She felt that with each form she learned her mental picture became better
Forms are also part meditation in motion.
And according to a Dr Feldenkrais, conducting exercises that are not usual for one, one develops more neurological connections, contrary to the notion that the brain is done by age 3 or so.

Don't give a 2nd thought to the younger people in the room.
They are too busy not tripping over their own feet.
And instructors are usually impressed when old folks take up their sport.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
come to think of it, so do I

In any case.
When I started TKD, I was 34.
Having always been athletic, I did Ok, except for getting lost in Chong Chi, which in this style was literally 3 blocks and punches up and down. Cue Spongebob French Voice: Three Hours Later.......
Starting over is awkward. as if you have to learn how to walk all over again, and where your right and your left is.

I met a lady there who became my friend. She was 60 when she started.
She had arthritis, bum hips, you name it, the passing of time had not left her unscathed. She had limitations to what she could do. She excelled in other parts.
While she could barely get to kick above the belt line with a front or back kick, she could still knock your block off with a crescent kick!
Playing with shortsticks/Escrima, she was a fiend I would not want to meet in a state of anger.
She stuck it out for several years until she met a form that would not agree with her hips.
She reached Black Belt status with our organization.

The thing about martial arts is, that with each step you master, the next will become easier: If as a ley person you look at a black belt form, it makes no sense. When you work yourself up to that level you will learn the same form within a week or two (perfecting it is a never-ending process)

For my friend the training sessions were also therapeutic. She felt that with each form she learned her mental picture became better
Forms are also part meditation in motion.
And according to a Dr Feldenkrais, conducting exercises that are not usual for one, one develops more neurological connections, contrary to the notion that the brain is done by age 3 or so.

Don't give a 2nd thought to the younger people in the room.
They are too busy not tripping over their own feet.
And instructors are usually impressed when old folks take up their sport.

Know a guy that started Aikido in his mid 60s and got his black belt in his early 70s. Due to his age they (aikikai) offered him the chance to be given his black belt based on his sensei's recommendation, rather than go through the whole black belt test...he opted for the test and did great... oh and I also have an LL Bean 4 seasons jacket darn close to 32 as well :)

Olde Phart

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Tried ABBA karate way back when I was 20 and stayed with it for about a year and then kinda faded away. Fast-forward to when I was 63 and restarted my MA journey in Kyuki-do. Got my black belt when I was 67. Had heart surgery somewhere in the middle of that. Yep. I'm the oldest student in my dojang. Nope. Can't do a roundhouse to your head. But, my journey is MINE. The youngsters look to me and say that I am their inspiration. I think it's a little of the, "If he can do it, I can do it" syndrome. My heart doc and my wife say I have to keep it up. Couldn't do a tornado kick until recently but finally figured it out. Love it now!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering if there were any older beginners out there? How do you overcome feeling awkward about your age?
All I can think is, everybody else thinking, "hey look at that pathetic old person." Or, I'd have to do some dumbed down style or moves because I'm too old to do what everyone else does. Q
I started at age 46. I'm 62 now. The only thing I feel badly about is that lately my health has declined markedly. In my 50s, I was the shizz. Ask anybody.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I started at age 46. I'm 62 now. The only thing I feel badly about is that lately my health has declined markedly. In my 50s, I was the shizz. Ask anybody.
I don't feel I am going down until I was over 62. To me, 65 is the magic(say curse!!). Joints starting to hurt right around that time. I never had knee problem before, never really injured. One day when I was walking down the stair, my knee just buckled and I almost fell down the stairs. My knee started giving me problem. Now I have to put in more effort to keep it pain free. My left shoulder also. Started developing clicking sound when I push weight in certain way.

There's nothing good getting old other than still alive!!!.....BUT 32, that's a baby!!!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't feel I am going down until I was over 62. To me, 65 is the magic(say curse!!).
You still have 7 more good years to go.

Last time I wrestled with 2 wrestlers in the park when I was 69. Both wrestlers were in their 20.

I just walked 4 miles today and did 40 x 20 x 3 = 2400 punches along with my walking. I have 40 3 punches combo. I like to drill 20 times on each combo. I start to protect my hip joints by not doing any more high kicks that I love to do.

BUT 62, that's a boy!!!

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You still have 7 more good years to go.

Last time I wrestled with 2 wrestlers in the park when I was 69. Both wrestlers were in their 20.

I just walked 4 miles today and did 40 x 20 x 3 = 2400 punches along with my walking. I have 40 3 punches combo. I like to drill 20 times on each combo. I start to protect my hip joints by not doing any more high kicks that I love to do.

BUT 62, that's a boy!!!
Everyone is different. I get tired of being told that there's nothing wrong with me, that I'm too young to be so broken. I lived a certain kind of lifestyle. Stuff happens. My body is giving up. I can't change that and don't you dare start with the walk X miles every day nonsense. Works for you, not me.

OLD DOG NEW TRICKS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if there were any older beginners out there? How do you overcome feeling awkward about your age?
All I can think is, everybody else thinking, "hey look at that pathetic old person." Or, I'd have to do some dumbed down style or moves because I'm too old to do what everyone else does. Q
Hello and welcome. Your decision to begin M.A. as a mature adult is a good one. Enjoy every aspect of the training. Just remember you go at your own pace and don't worry what others think. As long as u have a good instructor who understands the difference between a mature adult and children that's all that matters. Go at your own pace and stick to your limitations. Enjoy. Ron

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Everyone is different. I get tired of being told that there's nothing wrong with me, that I'm too young to be so broken. I lived a certain kind of lifestyle. Stuff happens. My body is giving up. I can't change that and don't you dare start with the walk X miles every day nonsense. Works for you, not me.
Ha ha, he's an energized bunny. I work out, BUT I have to DRAG myself!!! 🤣

Olde Phart

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ha ha, he's an energized bunny. I work out, BUT I have to DRAG myself!!! 🤣
Alan: I agree completely. I have the KNOWLEDGE that I need to work out (a bit, anyway) between classes, but that DRIVE kinda evaporates when you're older.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Alan: I agree completely. I have the KNOWLEDGE that I need to work out (a bit, anyway) between classes, but that DRIVE kinda evaporates when you're older.
Yep, at this point, it's all discipline. Thinking about the alternative is worst.......pain all over, cannot move around. Look at all the seniors, move slow and all. You pay the price one way or the other. I can tell you, I work out, then I just sit and watch tv and other things that involve SITTING!!!

Olde Phart

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yep, at this point, it's all discipline. Thinking about the alternative is worst.......pain all over, cannot move around. Look at all the seniors, move slow and all. You pay the price one way or the other. I can tell you, I work out, then I just sit and watch tv and other things that involve SITTING!!!
In class, the instructor watches me during forms or grappling. When he sees me taking a few hard breaths, it's "time for a 1 minute water break!" I tell the class afterwards that they have me to thank for that!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

What I find interesting is al the folks out there telling you how to exercise when you over 50 or coming up with routines for those over 50....and they themselves are in their 20s or 30s... Use to do Yoga, was looking for a Yoga routine for arthritis and I found several...all designed by 20 or 30 somethings that were super bendy who had no idea what arthritis was, did, or how it limited you...pigeon poe...REALLY...for arthritis in the hips.....alrighty then....I came up with a routine on my own

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear that Bill. But I am happy to know that you keep at it to the level that you are able, and are interested. That is what matters.

Latest Discussions