any help with style would be great

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would suggest something that has chin na ( joint locking) , good hand techniques, blocks etc, Wing Chun, or a Southern Style Kung Fu perhaps. Going to ground in teh street is a last resort IMO that will only work if it is a 1 on 1 situation. If you are dealing with a group unless you are superman, you will not haev time to submit a person. So you will need something with good defense training.

OP
B

bradtash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
ok so,

since i started this topic i have moved from where i was.
to start the fitness side of things i have really got into Muay Thai, i am training 3 nights a week and am practicing every night the techniques that i have learnt.

i am just about to start JuJitsu in 2 weeks and am doing it 2 times a week (only offered 2 times a week).
should i cut back the Muay Thai? i love it, but at the end of the day i am going to be a police officer and dont really want use excessive force or anything like that.

another school offered near me here is Zen Do Kai, i have heard mixed opinions on this, can anyone elaborate?

thanks,
brad.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Be careful that you don't get a burn-out.
Training 5 or 6 times per week is great, and I did it myself when I was in college. But make an inventory of the priorities in your life and make sure that you can spend some time on all things that are important to you and your family.

This will be different for everybody, but if you have a family, you are going to have to spend time with them. If you have a job, you might need additional courses / lessons / schooling for that. Do you have other obligations, a house that you are renovating, etc...
So determine the maximum number of trainings you can comfortably go to per week, and take it from there.

I had the burn out happen to me in college. I trained 5 times per week, was assistant teacher for 2 youth classes on saturday, I was studying hard for my final exams of my masters degree in electronics, and I was doing a time consuming internship in an engineering company.
I burned out on MA and dropped my >3 years of jiu-jitsu and concentrated on my education / future job. If I had just paced myself before that, I probably wouldn't have dropped out then, and I would have been much farther ahead, 10 years down the line.

I now have a wife and kids, and a house that still needs renovation.
So I decided up front that I was not going to attend MA class more than 2 times per week, and not in the weekends.
That way I have enough time left for the things that really matter to me and I can still enjoy MA.
MA is like a marathon, not a sprint.

Just my 2ct. Whatever you decide, enjoy it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
American kenpo karate will be good for you
Just as a heads up, your last two posts recommending styles to people were both from people who were looking for over a decade. Not likely that they're still looking-they either found something or gave up, and if they are, their life circumstances almost definitely have changed.
In this particular case, the OP responded, in this same thread 2 posts above yours, that he has already decided on styles.

Also, in this case, just fyi, he listed the styles near him, which he could do, and American Kenpo Karate was not one of them.

I know you've said in the past you only read titles, but this is a good example of why it's important to read more than that.

Latest Discussions