Another wake up for Chinese Martial Arts

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
that why you fight a distance if they are swinging a broken bottle about, but you cant do bbj at distance can you. That's a beeek problem
Why do you keep bringing up BJJ? Since you keep doing so, I can't help but wonder if you actually believe someone that is trained in joint manipulation is somehow less prepared to deal with your broken bottle scenario than someone who does not have that training.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
that is because your point keep changing and you denie saying things, you said a few post earlier, why not pick a point of view and stick to it
You are under 18 correct? Well under?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why do you keep bringing up BJJ? Since you keep doing so, I can't help but wonder if you actually believe someone that is trained in joint manipulation is somehow less prepared to deal with your broken bottle scenario than someone who does not have that training.
to get the joint you have to get past the pointy bits, so yes, someone who has been trained specifically in dealing with weapons is better prepared that someone who' isn't.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
@jobo

BJJ also has their disarms and sd, same as any other style. Mma isn't BJJ, and I'm not a BJJ guy, nor is anyone in this thread..so you continually bringing it up isn't furthering your case...whatever that is.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
to get the joint you have to get past the pointy bits, so yes, someone who has been trained specifically in dealing with weapons is better prepared that someone who' isn't.

Sort of. There is a concept called tacticool. Where specific pourpose does not automatically mean a better product.

So this is a zombie knife.
images

Now even though it is specifically designed for killing zombies. It is debatable as to whether it is actually any better than any other knife for the task.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
At some point fighting will be inside his stabbing range. Or it is called running away.

have you ever fought some one with a knife or a broken bottle. I have long before I learned ma. I have 3stab wounds. Running way might be a lot more sensible than putting a bjj hold on him. If you going to fight its dependent on speed and moving in and out of range before they can get you.

we were doing a knife drill at class a few weeks ago and i kept getting stabbed in the arm but then im getting old

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
have you ever fought some one with a knife or a broken bottle. I have long before I learned ma. I have 3stab wounds. Running way might be a lot more sensible than putting a bjj hold on him. If you going to fight its dependent on speed and moving in and out of range before they can get you.

we were doing a knife drill at class a few weeks ago and i kept getting stabbed in the arm but then im getting old

Yes and yes. I never got stabbed. I used BJJ ish stuf for one of them.

Unarmed vs knife mostly doesn't work very well. BJJ unarmed vs knife mostly doesnt work very well. kali unarmed vs knife mostly doesn't work very well.

Do you notice a trend?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sort of. There is a concept called tacticool. Where specific pourpose does not automatically mean a better product.

So this is a zombie knife.
images

Now even though it is specifically designed for killing zombies. It is debatable as to whether it is actually any better than any other knife for the task.
if your not excepting that fight training for a specific purpose is better than not training for that purpose, then why do ma ay all. You could just do needle draft and be able to fight as well

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes and yes. I never got stabbed. I used BJJ ish stuf for one of them.

Unarmed vs knife mostly doesn't work very well. BJJ unarmed vs knife mostly doesnt work very well. kali unarmed vs knife mostly doesn't work very well.

Do you notice a trend?
yes your at a,disadvantage, that why people use weapons to give them an edge. And those who train in weapons disarm are at less of a disadvantage than those who don't

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
if your not excepting that fight training for a specific purpose is better than not training for that purpose, then why do ma ay all. You could just do needle draft and be able to fight as well

No I think quality basics create good martial arts. So the concept of specific training is less important than good training.

It is good to have both. But given a choice I will take good basics over situational trickery.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes your at a,disadvantage, that why people use weapons to give them an edge. And those who train in weapons disarm are at less of a disadvantage than those who don't

Really?

How do you know?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No I think quality basics create good martial arts. So the concept of specific training is less important than good training.

It is good to have both. But given a choice I will take good basics over situational trickery.
so GOOD weapons training would be preferable to good basic training

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Really?

How do you know?
the same reason I know that people who have learnt to ride a bike are better at ridding a bike than those who haven't
that and the fact they bother to teach police officers to disarm people. If it wern't so,they would say, no we won't bother teaching you how to disarm a knife man, just wing it

Latest Discussions