Another wake up for Chinese Martial Arts

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mma training prepares you for mma, which is a pretty close aproximation of 1 v 1 fighting, and I dare say prepares you for your multiple/armed scenario as much as anything else will, aside from maybe a firearms course.

Now this isn't because those systems..mostly mt boxing and BJJ are the only viable systems..because I don't believe that at all. It's because they train for the job they intend to do.

Of course russia does things like multiple fighters obstical courses and all sorts of crazy stuff.

Mabye the reality guys who specialize in that can have a crack. See how they fare in a real situation.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The guy who actually fought someone. MMA is training for the real world to the level you can realistically expect one person to achieve.

The fantasy is the expectation that training for the real world includes training to handle 5 guys.

Why would you think any training should be expected to handle that?

It's at this point where I wish I knew how the different armed forces around the world trained. I know for example that some train in Krav Maga but I'm guessing there is a big difference between the Krav Maga that is taught to civilians and that which is taught to the armed forces.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I said schools, not arts. While not all arts, or styles, are equally viable, more important is how they are trained.
yes, and your insistance that arts / schools that don't do live fighting are no good for self defence. When that is totally dependent on who is attacking you and what with

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes, and your insistance that arts / schools that don't do live fighting are no good for self defence. When that is totally dependent on who is attacking you and what with
Hello, wall.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's at this point where I wish I knew how the different armed forces around the world trained. I know for example that some train in Krav Maga but I'm guessing there is a big difference between the Krav Maga that is taught to civilians and that which is taught to the armed forces.
why would it be different, besides from the fact that you probably won't be trying to take an ak 47 off them, unless its LA obviously

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And some techniques are better full contact. Like head kicks which are pretty useless if you can brush them off with one hand.
Yeah kicks like that are no good. If the kick has no effect on the opponents efforts then it's worthless. I should never feel as if I can just walk through attacks and have little care if it hits me or not. Strikes have enough force where I really can't afford them to land unchallenged

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

My instructor trains with paul cale who sets up the Australian defence forces training.

There are differences in where you are going. So if you have a gun. You only have to get to that. Rather than say a submission. That sort of thing. You might sling a head butt or something.

The techniques are kind of fluid. MMA works fine as a vehicle for military training. Meaning you dont have to scrap MMA you ajust it. And the better you are at MMA the better able you will be to apply reality systems.

So back to that gun. If you cant wrestle and I can. Chances are I will be able to shoot you first because I have a better vehicle to access the weapon.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
No. Pretty sure spine laceration is particularly effective against any style.
No no, the inexperienced person/person with no applicable training is somehow more likely to have and know how to use a weapon than someone that does have training(don't ask why! Just because!) therefore doing katas and chi sau is twice as effective as doing anything that resembles combat training if you want to beat up 5 armed attackers at once. Duh, don't you know anything? Logic man! I know it's true because I beat up a kid once when I was 10!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
very difficult to do unless they turn their back on you

No i can just reach over their shoulder. Basically any clinch.
images

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No no, the inexperienced person/person with no applicable training is somehow more likely to have and know how to use a weapon than someone that does have training(don't ask why! Just because!) therefore doing katas and chi sau is twice as effective as doing anything that resembles combat training if you want to beat up 5 armed attackers at once. Duh, don't you know anything? Logic man!
that realy wasn't my point, but seems as you raise it, doing drills that involve your opponent have a weapon, gives you a better skill set, than doing mma with no weapons drill

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No no, the inexperienced person/person with no applicable training is somehow more likely to have and know how to use a weapon than someone that does have training(don't ask why! Just because!) therefore doing katas and chi sau is twice as effective as doing anything that resembles combat training if you want to beat up 5 armed attackers at once. Duh, don't you know anything? Logic man! I know it's true because I beat up a kid once when I was 10!
I forgot that everything is in the kata.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
that why you fight a distance if they are swinging a broken bottle about, but you cant do bbj at distance can you. That's a beeek problem

At some point fighting will be inside his stabbing range. Or it is called running away.

Latest Discussions