Chinese Police and Firearms.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[h=2]Police firearms
[/h] [h=3]Weaponised[/h] [h=1]Most Chinese police have long gone without firearms. In the wake of terrorist incidents, that is changing[/h]

WHEN five assailants armed with long knives started murdering bystanders at a railway station in the south-western Chinese city of Kunming on March 1st, the first police to respond were ill-equipped to fight back. Most had no guns, which ordinary officers typically go without. One who did quickly ran out of bullets. Some officers used their batons while others resorted, bravely but ineffectually, to wielding fire extinguishers which they found at the scene. A specially trained unit of police with guns arrived as long as 20 minutes later and shot four of the attackers dead.

The government promptly decided it must make weapons more readily available to police. It has acted quickly to do so—some critics say too quickly and too rashly.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought in China it was all about controlling people with guns. That's how the red army maintains control over the civilians, they've got guns and the civilians don't.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I thought in China it was all about controlling people with guns. That's how the red army maintains control over the civilians, they've got guns and the civilians don't.

Nope.

You can see police and military walking, marching and driving through the streets without any weapons at all.

It is not all that overtly oppressive in China and really hasn't been since 1976 with the exception of Tiananmen Square in 1989. And that is not as cut and dried as most would like to think

Interestingly I have come across mainland Chinese who are terrified of handguns but have no fear at all of AK47s

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which shoots arguments for banning guns to stop mass killings right in the foot....

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
[video=youtube_share;2frp1b7JhDs]http://youtu.be/2frp1b7JhDs[/video]

I guess any shot that does the job is a good shot, but there was as much luck as skill there. From what I hear the Chinese police force is in need of some serious training. For all the "American Cops don't get enough training" memes, the Chinese police REALLY don't get enough training to just give officers guns and set them loose.

Shootings rise after China gives its police guns

Latest Discussions