Another USAT BOD Resignation

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
From Facebook - Bruce Harris posts in the group "Taekwondo Referees-USA"
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=87987294159
USAT Referee Director Resigns
The text of the Letter of Resignation is printed here with permission of the author:

TO: USAT Board Chair Kevin Padilla
RE: Resignation
Date: November 13, 2010

Upon advice of counsel I am resigning my position as USAT Referee Director effective immediately.

Earlier this month in an E-mail I asked why our upcoming board meeting was starting in executive session. The CEO replied Legal Matters. Factual information was kept from the board in all decisions made in that meeting. I later asked for proof of any wrong doing of Mr. Cain. The CEO wrote a nice story but provided no proof.

This is not the only time things have been kept from the board, like my Ethics Complaint along with other Agenda items.

Sincerely,
Mark Biviano

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So I will be the dummy here, what does this truely mean in the wide range of B.S. that comes from the USAT? Really does anyone believes that anything is truely ever going to be done? David does what ever he wants and he has no one to answer to, that is the biggest problem. Until people stop doing events hosted by USAT they do not need or care what any of us say because they are getting our money.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I will be the dummy here, what does this truely mean in the wide range of B.S. that comes from the USAT? Really does anyone believes that anything is truely ever going to be done? David does what ever he wants and he has no one to answer to, that is the biggest problem. Until people stop doing events hosted by USAT they do not need or care what any of us say because they are getting our money.

maybe if enough of the good people drop out...generally speaking, things can only go bad for so long before things implode. (what fascinates me much more is the why...is there that much money to be had at the top of this club?)

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score

Basically what this means is that some very interesting things are developing at the good Ole USAT! My guess would be that Mr. Biviano wants to wash his hands of some of these things, stand clear and get out of the line of fire! From his resignation letter it is clear that they are trying to remove members without providing the evidence, to the board to show what they claim the members have actually done. It is also clear that they have not dealt with other complaints the way they should have, typical! And they are not following the bylaws when it comes to executive session and many more things.
It's pretty clear, that the USAT is desperately trying to hold on to the power in all their recent changes with the very questionable Task Force recommendation, for which I am sure is another reason for Mr. Biviano leaving as he questioned what their role, they were appointed as a Membership Task Force, not a restructuring committee.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What I dont get, is when everyone who is legit or honestly attempting some good, resigns, you only make more openings for those who will do the bidding of the "grand puba".

I get the frustration and understand the telling them to shove it part. But what I have found is that the wheels keep turning with or without you and in the end resigning dont have any impact on the position or the "whatever it was you resigned from".

what you wont do, another will and there are plenty of people still willing to step up (usually those not worthy get the position by default... because no one else would).

Again not participating in USAT events would have the same outcome. Those who otherwise wouldnt have a chance in hell, do by default. In the long run, the org will dry up from lack of $$$, but during the interim, the "defaulters" will prosper and some who really had a chance could actually miss out.

I mean, lets be honest, if 75% of everyone dropped thier participation, it will still take a few years to bleed the org dry of cash to the point they collapse. so is a 4 year withdrawal benifiting the fighter at the peak of thier game?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What I dont get, is when everyone who is legit or honestly attempting some good, resigns, you only make more openings for those who will do the bidding of the "grand puba".

I get the frustration and understand the telling them to shove it part. But what I have found is that the wheels keep turning with or without you and in the end resigning dont have any impact on the position or the "whatever it was you resigned from".

what you wont do, another will and there are plenty of people still willing to step up (usually those not worthy get the position by default... because no one else would).

Again not participating in USAT events would have the same outcome. Those who otherwise wouldnt have a chance in hell, do by default. In the long run, the org will dry up from lack of $$$, but during the interim, the "defaulters" will prosper and some who really had a chance could actually miss out.

I mean, lets be honest, if 75% of everyone dropped thier participation, it will still take a few years to bleed the org dry of cash to the point they collapse. so is a 4 year withdrawal benifiting the fighter at the peak of thier game?

Wel, true, bad things happen when good people do nothing. But the thing is, in life you pick your battles. If the USAT went away tomorrow, most people (I mean really most) would notice.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wel, true, bad things happen when good people do nothing. But the thing is, in life you pick your battles. If the USAT went away tomorrow, most people (I mean really most) would notice.

Yes they would notice, but the question is would they react positively or negatively to the departure?

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think each person must make up thier own mind based on thier concience and do what they feel is morally right. USAT revenues are down in general. Good people can work with other things AAU. friendship tournaments, more important Traditional TKD and focus on thier own Do Jangs then go to US Open Hanmadang and go to Korean something everyone of every age can do.

It is tempting to want that Olympic logo on your window ect. but that now means that you contribute and condone to the abuse regardless of what you say. There has never been an ability to change from within at the USAT only fall on your sword if you are not willing to be a total dito head.

USAT insulted my GM to the bone that before his death I know hurt him made him feel like he did not matter and encouraged disloyal behavior of bb low rank to run to USAT to test. I will never forgive them for that nor will any of my 1,000 or more students ever register!

OP
R

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Speaking for myself, I refused to have my name associated with the actions of this board and the leadership. Mark's attorney felt the same way and advised him to bail now if not sooner. It is possible that the bod can be legally held personally responsible depending on the actions, the circumstances etc....

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Speaking for myself, I refused to have my name associated with the actions of this board and the leadership. Mark's attorney felt the same way and advised him to bail now if not sooner. It is possible that the bod can be legally held personally responsible depending on the actions, the circumstances etc....

You mean you refuse to have it associated with it anymore...you were a board member not too long ago correct?

OP
R

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You mean you refuse to have it associated with it anymore...you were a board member not too long ago correct?

That is why I resigned that position. I refuse to have my name associated with the actions of that board and the governance.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes they would notice, but the question is would they react positively or negatively to the departure?

(oh poop on the vanishing edit feature) I meant to say most people would NOT notice, nor miss the USAT. Generally, to almost all people it's as important as a sack of rice in china falling over.
Sure, hopes and dreams are attached to it, but apparently a lot of nightmares, too. Sometimes the canker has spread to far to be removed...

Latest Discussions