Another school shooting... damn it....

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe it has now. My understanding is that the gunman was injured.

It was my hope they blew him outta his socks...Forgive my anger..Probably not the best thing for an LEO to post but it makes me ****ing ANGRY...

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was my hope they blew him outta his socks...Forgive my anger..Probably not the best thing for an LEO to post but it makes me ****ing ANGRY...

You gotta remember though, this kid was obviously f'd up in the head. Maybe is someone (LIKE HIS PARENTS) had showed him some compasion for what he must have been going through leading up to this event, it never would have happened. Just my two cents...

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There was another school shooting in Colorado, this time in a mountain town called Bailey. According 9News (an NBC affiliate)

Very sad. My heart goes out to the families of all involved.

Blotan Hunka said:
I really wonder if the percentage of crazies is really any different in 2006 than it was in 1906, I think that we just get to see ALL of it from around the globe now, where that wasnt the case 100 years ago. I could be wrong and maybe we really are worse, but I have my doubts.

I think it's a combination of both actually. I think things are definitely getting worse for many reasons, and also we now hear about so much more. The scary thing to think about is how much stuff we DON'T hear about...and there is plenty.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You gotta remember though, this kid was obviously f'd up in the head. Maybe is someone (LIKE HIS PARENTS) had showed him some compasion for what he must have been going through leading up to this event, it never would have happened. Just my two cents...

Yes, this really is a sad, sad situation. However, anytime things like this happen, I often find myself thinking the same comment as whats quoted above. I'm not a social worker, or M.D., but IMO, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that these kids obviously had some sort of issues that were seriously going un-noticed! I grew up watching cartoons, saw the animated characters falling off a cliff, holding an explosive and getting 'blown up', watched horror flicks, and listened to rock music, and I never ran around the house, chasing after my younger sister with a knife, I never brought weapons to school or shown any signs that I was a violent person.

Family and school workers should be able to see signs that there is an issue with their child. Unfortunately, as it was already said, someone will find something else to blame.

Mike

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Condolences go to Ms. Keyes' family.

It has been suggested that the creep sexually assaulted the girls:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_5024828,00.html

If this is true, I strongly doubt that anyone can blame any medications that this pile of scum was taking. None that I know of, makes someone want to commit sexual assault against a child. Given that he had isolated 6 girls, and told the boys to get out, I find it difficult to dismiss the above possibility.

People can try to blame medications, drugs, video games, guns, etc., all they want... The bottom line is that this pile of garbage made a conscious decision to commit crimes of a terrible nature, and is the sole source of blame.

We can try to talk about "what if's" all day long, but that still doesn't change the fact that a perverted middle-aged pedophile made the cognitive choice to do the deed.

On another note, at least the police response and communication was better this time. From the article:

Communication among the law enforcement agencies on the scene worked better than they did at the Columbine shootings April 20, 1999, when officers with various jurisdictions were unable to talk to one another because of incompatible radio systems.

The Metro Area Communication vehicle was sent to the scene to help the multiple agencies communicate. The technology in the truck allows the different radio systems to be patched together to create one large radio system.
"It was purchased for this very reason, when you have a multi-agency incident," said Sonny Jackson, spokesman for Denver Police Department. "This is the first time it has been called out of the Denver area."

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MOD NOTE

Thread moved to The Study.

Pamela Piszczek
MT Moderator

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nothing to forgive about your anger. Last time I checked LEO's were human as well (some less so than others...:uhyeah:) and given that, fact I would be more worried if you could turn off that side. I would hope they did the same!

My heart goes out to the families involved.

Kacey, the first person I thought of when I heard of another school shooting in CO. was you and hoped it wasn't at your facility. Glad to know it wasn't, sad to know it happened ANYWHERE.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nothing to forgive about your anger. Last time I checked LEO's were human as well (some less so than others...:uhyeah:) and given that, fact I would be more worried if you could turn off that side. I would hope they did the same

Thanks..

bydand said:
My heart goes out to the families involved

Same here..

bydand said:
Kacey, the first person I thought of when I heard of another school shooting in CO. was you and hoped it wasn't at your facility. Glad to know it wasn't, sad to know it happened ANYWHERE.

Ya beat me expressing those same sentiments]

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
My heart also goes out to the deceased girl and her family. :( The surviving hostage must also be traumatized as well; no amount of therapy is going to make her forget that day.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My heart also goes out to the deceased girl and her family. :( The surviving hostage must also be traumatized as well; no amount of therapy is going to make her forget that day.

That about says it ....

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Ya beat me expressing those same sentiments]

Thanks, I appreciate that, truly... and it's not that far; not really any farther than Columbine; one of my coworkers owns a house in Bailey.

To those who were concerned about the identity, age, and potential medication status of this "kid", he has been identified as
53-year-old Duane R. Morrison. These sources told 9NEWS Morrison is a transient who lived in Park County for some time during 1999. Morrison had an arrest record dating back 30 years and was most recently arrested Lakewood and booked into Jefferson County jail in July 2006.
No mention was made of medication, at least not in the article I read, but they are updating constantly.

The following was posted on our district's email intranet this morning:

Yesterday’s tragic events at Platte Place Canyon High School should serve as a reminder to all of us how important it is to know who is in our buildings and why they are there.

Every employee of District ** can help keep our schools safer by following a few simple steps.

· Always wear your district issued identification when you are in a district facility. There should be no exceptions to this rule.

· If you are visiting a district facility, make sure you sign in when you arrive at the facility. This not only lets the school know who is in their building, but it also helps first responders know who to look for in the event of crisis.

· If you see adults in a district facility and the adults do not have a visitor’s badge or appear to be lost, greet the adults and ask if you can help them and if they have signed in at the office.

· Educate students to report any adult in a facility not wearing proper identification or a visitor’s badge to the office.

By remembering these four easy steps we will all be contributing to the safety and security of our students, staff and community members.

If you have staff members who have lost their district issued identification, please have them contact the Communications Center at extension 4911 to arrange a time to get a new identification issued.

Have a safe day,

It concerns me that we live in a society where schools are no longer safe for the staff or students, where we must be wary of the very community members we exist to serve.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those safety tips should be sent to *every* school in the country.

I have a feeling they are. At least every school in my district has something like that, plans for what to do in an emergency situation like this. I'd be suprised if there are many schools that do not have some form of plan...

However, sadly even the best plans are not going to stop certain determined wackos.

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those safety tips should be sent to *every* school in the country.

Actually, they've been sent out before - and before Columbine, too. This was a reminder of pre-existing procedures.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, they've been sent out before - and before Columbine, too. This was a reminder of pre-existing procedures.

They were? Because I haven't seen those procedures followed in any of the public schools I've visited. The high schools have metal detectors, but they don't pick up *every* single kind of weapon.

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They were? Because I haven't seen those procedures followed in any of the public schools I've visited. The high schools have metal detectors, but they don't pick up *every* single kind of weapon.

I didn't say the policies were enforced... just that they existed. As I said before, it concerns me that we need such policies in schools; I understand it, but I don't like that it is necessary.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, this really is a sad, sad situation. However, anytime things like this happen, I often find myself thinking the same comment as whats quoted above. I'm not a social worker, or M.D., but IMO, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that these kids obviously had some sort of issues that were seriously going un-noticed! I grew up watching cartoons, saw the animated characters falling off a cliff, holding an explosive and getting 'blown up', watched horror flicks, and listened to rock music, and I never ran around the house, chasing after my younger sister with a knife, I never brought weapons to school or shown any signs that I was a violent person.

I don't know how many times I've said the same thing to people who try to scapegoat the media.