Another school shooting... damn it....

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There was another school shooting in Colorado, this time in a mountain town called Bailey. According 9News (an NBC affiliate)
A hostage situation inside Platte Canyon High School ended after the SWAT team rushed in. During the raid, one of the female students being held hostage was shot in the head and the gunman killed himself.... The gunman, an adult male, then fired a shot hitting one of the two female students being held hostage.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was just watching this on the news...scary stuff. I swear the world is off its axis.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I really wonder if the percentage of crazies is really any different in 2006 than it was in 1906, I think that we just get to see ALL of it from around the globe now, where that wasnt the case 100 years ago. I could be wrong and maybe we really are worse, but I have my doubts.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perhaps they will. What is more important now is that those kids get out safe and sound. As a parent I can only imagine how they feel. I don't ever want to find out for sure.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps they will. What is more important now is that those kids get out safe and sound. As a parent I can only imagine how they feel. I don't ever want to find out for sure.

Of course. I was under the impression that the situation was resolved.

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It has been resolved, and yes, the gunman is dead; the current report is that he shot himself. Unfortunately, the girl he shot first is also dead, from a gunshot to the head; the last remaining hostage is unharmed... physically, anyway.

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Prozac or Zoloft is playing a part I just know it.
Sean
And you know this how? Especially given that, at this moment, the identity of the gunman is unknown - the only thing being reported is "an unidentified adult male". You could be right, you could be wrong - but I'd like to know what you're basing this supposition on.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And you know this how? Especially given that, at this moment, the identity of the gunman is unknown - the only thing being reported is "an unidentified adult male". You could be right, you could be wrong - but I'd like to know what you're basing this supposition on.
columbine, people i know ect.

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
columbine, people i know ect.

I know plenty of people who take medication for biochemical mood disorders who have never, and would never, commit such crimes. Without references beyond "someone who did this in the past was on such medication" I find this statement to be pretty much meaningless as proof that Zoloft or Prozac is the cause of this. It might be; it might not - but I do not find your "proof" convincing.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know plenty of people who take medication for biochemical mood disorders who have never, and would never, commit such crimes. Without references beyond "someone who did this in the past was on such medication" I find this statement to be pretty much meaningless as proof that Zoloft or Prozac is the cause of this. It might be; it might not - but I do not find your "proof" convincing.
I am saying it will become evident. The proof will be in the pudding ect.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know. I think it's kind of insulting to say that antidepressants causes this kind of behavior. Personally, medication prevents me from harming myself (and others).
Your "real life" examples are probably based on the fact that hack doctors prescribe antidepressants to everyone and thier dog. Thus, it's a lock that some of these perpetrators will be on antidepressants.

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am saying it will become evident. The proof will be in the pudding ect.
And I am saying I will wait until more information becomes available. As I said, you could be right, you could be wrong; however, I am unwilling to jump to conclusions based on the extremely minimal information available at this time. Given that the gunman forced the males to leave the room, as stated on the 9News website (9News being a local NBC affiliate):
The father says when the gunman first entered the room he forced everyone to line up facing the chalkboard. He told all the boys in the classroom they had to leave. The father says at that point the gunman put the gun to his son's head and forced him to leave.
I am willing to speculate that the gunman had some problem with women; beyond that I will not go at this time.

As saddened as I am by the death of one of the hostages, I am thankful that only one person was physically injured; my best wishes go out to the survivors - especially the other female hostage - as they begin to deal with their experiences.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just got word that a good friend of mine grew up in that particular town and graduated from that very same high school. His graduating class consisted of a total of 53 people.

It's a very sad day indeed. :(

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is an unfortunate tragedy. :(

Now although we don't know the details of the shooter yet, or if medication was involved, feel free to do some reading on the effects of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI's, what people commonly take for depression) in the meantime while we wait for more news:

http://www.breggin.com/suicidalityviolence.pbreggin.2003.pdf

Or I can at least summerize this much for you: Don't expect that you can chemically mess with your neurotransmitters without consequence...

Paul