Another school shooting... damn it....

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, this really is a sad, sad situation. However, anytime things like this happen, I often find myself thinking the same comment as whats quoted above. I'm not a social worker, or M.D., but IMO, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that these kids obviously had some sort of issues that were seriously going un-noticed! I grew up watching cartoons, saw the animated characters falling off a cliff, holding an explosive and getting 'blown up', watched horror flicks, and listened to rock music, and I never ran around the house, chasing after my younger sister with a knife, I never brought weapons to school or shown any signs that I was a violent person.

Family and school workers should be able to see signs that there is an issue with their child. Unfortunately, as it was already said, someone will find something else to blame.

Mike

I don't know how many times I've said the same thing to people who try to scapegoat the media.

This would, perhaps, be more relevant if the shooter had, indeed, been a teen - but he was an adult, 53 years old, with a long criminal record, and in addition to the shootings, "Morrison had sexually assaulted several of the hostages" according to one local news station. I doubt that the media is to blame at this point.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The fact he picked females only, and that most of them were smaller and blonde (the one he shot appears to be a brunette?) suggests he has anger/power issues while he sexually assaulted some of them.

I'd be very interested to find out more about his background.

- Ceicei

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Another waste of O2. Too bad he had to take somebody out with him.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is nothing new. Babies die from starvation everyday, someone kills a child everyday, some stupid gangster wannabe punk kills some guy because he "dissed his homie".
The media just makes a bigger deal out of certain things.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would, perhaps, be more relevant if the shooter had, indeed, been a teen - but he was an adult, 53 years old, with a long criminal record, and in addition to the shootings, "Morrison had sexually assaulted several of the hostages" according to one local news station. I doubt that the media is to blame at this point.

My appologies. I guess what I was trying to say was, I'm sure this guy was showing abnormal signs in his childhood, teens, young adult, and eventually adult years, but I have to wonder if anyone noticed this and if they did, why didn't anyone do anything to help him? Accodring to that article you linked, they said his record dates back 30yrs. 30 yrs, and no improvements.

Mike

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I really wonder if the percentage of crazies is really any different in 2006 than it was in 1906, I think that we just get to see ALL of it from around the globe now, where that wasnt the case 100 years ago. I could be wrong and maybe we really are worse, but I have my doubts.
The number of crazies in the early 1900's is smaller because of a smaller population base than today. But there are more violent crimes today as compared to the first part of the century. There's better media coverage and distribution today than there was back then.
DeLamar.J said:
This is nothing new. The media just makes a bigger deal out of certain things.
It is nothing new but it's no less tragic. The media does seem to be on a hunt for specific stories to sensationalize but we the (general) public don't do anything to truly discourage such stories.

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score

I read about this earlier, I think it is just terrible, worse than the last because this time they are shooting a community which by it's very definition will not fight back even in self defense.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even worse, was that he attacked elementary school children.

I hope that this wasn't inspired by the media's constant hyping of the previous school shootings, but seeing how eerily similar things were makes my blood boil.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hope that this wasn't inspired by the media's constant hyping of the previous school shootings, but seeing how eerily similar things were makes my blood boil.

I have no doubt it was.

Think about it. There are people that would kill and/or die for fame. Everytime something like this happens, we get to know all about the troubled childhood of the scumbag who did it. We get to see his friends talk about him, we get to see experts talk about him, we get to see neighbors talk about him...everyone talks about the scum bag.

So, if you were a little twisted anyways and felt the need for the world to pay attention to you, what kind of sick connection would you make in your mind after seeing all these interviews and stories about the killer? :angry:

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree Don. If they are going to cover these stories it should be about the victims. They shouldn't be giving these scumbags what they want, namely attention.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We don't know that people didn't try to help him. I hate to sound calloused, but people have to want to improve...

Thats true, we don't know what help, if any, he received. And I agree, that if the person doesnt want to improve, they most likely won't. It just amazes me, how many repeat offenders we see. Apparently the jail time that they do, isn't long enough.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats true, we don't know what help, if any, he received. And I agree, that if the person doesnt want to improve, they most likely won't. It just amazes me, how many repeat offenders we see. Apparently the jail time that they do, isn't long enough.

People like this are probably damaged beyond repair---the medicines that they need to become reliable, connected member of society probably won't exist for centuries. Under ideal conditions, certain violent individuals probably be rehabilitated, but someone like this... no, I can't imagine it. He's wired for destruction, probably has been for a long time and will continue to be as long as he's alive.

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
People like this are probably damaged beyond repair---the medicines that they need to become reliable, connected member of society probably won't exist for centuries. Under ideal conditions, certain violent individuals probably be rehabilitated, but someone like this... no, I can't imagine it. He's wired for destruction, probably has been for a long time and will continue to be as long as he's alive.

"As long as he's alive" is no longer relevant in either case; both of them shot themselves.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"As long as he's alive" is no longer relevant in either case; both of them shot themselves.

Ah, I didn't realize that---one of the quoted news reports seemed to be speaking about him in the present tense. Can't say I'm particularly sorry---but it's unnerving realizing that there are any number of people like that who are still out there and whom we won't hear anything about until they show up in someone's home, or a school, or ...

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, I didn't realize that---one of the quoted news reports seemed to be speaking about him in the present tense. Can't say I'm particularly sorry---but it's unnerving realizing that there are any number of people like that who are still out there and whom we won't hear anything about until they show up in someone's home, or a school, or ...

If you had heard some of the stories I have from a guy I know who works as an orderly in a hospital for the criminally insane, you would be even more paranoid.

The prison system is bad enough. The way that those that are considered too messed up to take responsibility for their own actions and the ways various agencies try to pass the buck, avoid dealing with the problem and look the other way is scary.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And now this---in a one-room Amish schoolhouse... 11 kids, shot in the head, two already dead... it's beyond comprehension.

Latest Discussions