Another Mis-Understood Application of "Self-Defense"

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you're going to use deadly force, know when you can and when you cannot use it. Just FYI, being egged is not a good reason. Also FYI, once the egging has stopped and the egg-throwers are driving away, you can't really claim self-defense; the threat (such as it was) is gone.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/aug/16/police-man-shot-2-teens-two-egged-his-truck/

A Henderson man who allegedly took matters into his own hands and shot at two teens throwing eggs at his truck has been arrested and charged with attempted murder, Henderson Police said.
Officials said Christopher Brunelle, 22, called 911 at about 11:50 p.m. Sunday and said he fired two shots at a Jeep Cherokee after its occupants had thrown "projectiles" at his truck. Brunelle was sitting in his truck in front of his Dalsetter Drive home near Anthem Highlands Drive at the time of the incident, police said.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me that this guy shouldnt even own a gun. Doesnt sound like he is responsible enough.

Get the plate if possible, a description of the vehicle, a description of the person/people inside, a direction of travel and let the cops do the rest. Shooting at someone for something like this? This guy should be locked up for a while.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shooting at someone for something like this? This guy should be locked up for a while.

Under some circumstances, use of deadly force might be justified, but it would have to include the shooter acting in reasonable fear of his life. For example, if he were suddenly subjected to the objects being thrown at him and he did not (reasonably) know they were merely eggs, I could see it being a more questionable circumstance if he had opened fire at that moment. Not after he knew they were eggs, and certainly not after the attack was over.

I suspect the guy will indeed be locked up. I'm glad the kids didn't get killed. But the part that gets me is that the guy called 911 on himself; it's pretty clear he thought he was in the right. That's the bad part, IMHO.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
But the part that gets me is that the guy called 911 on himself; it's pretty clear he thought he was in the right. That's the bad part, IMHO.

Some people have called 911 to complain that their weed was stolen or their dealer cheated them. Some people really are that dumb.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sounds to me that this guy shouldnt even own a gun. Doesnt sound like he is responsible enough.

Get the plate if possible, a description of the vehicle, a description of the person/people inside, a direction of travel and let the cops do the rest. Shooting at someone for something like this? This guy should be locked up for a while.

After his conviction he won't be owning any guns.

Deaf

Latest Discussions