Another LOSER Black Belt

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I spent a year at a school close to that. Near cult-like leadership and veneration of the "Master". The sad thing is that this guy REALLY knew his TSD and I would be a far more accomplished martial artist today if I had managed to stay even one more year - but I just couldn't. His manner of treating others (unless he wanted to impress them) was absolutely unacceptable in my view. However, even he would not have done what that instructor did.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I spent a year at a school close to that. Near cult-like leadership and veneration of the "Master". The sad thing is that this guy REALLY knew his TSD and I would be a far more accomplished martial artist today if I had managed to stay even one more year - but I just couldn't. His manner of treating others (unless he wanted to impress them) was absolutely unacceptable in my view. However, even he would not have done what that instructor did.

You know I have a very good friend of mine that had a similar problem, my friend is quite talented, and in many ways says the same thing you said, if he would have stayed with him for a while or so he would have been so much better, but his then teacher's attitude. The guy he trained with was a 6th degree or something like that, and was legit, and was very talented, but the overall attitude he couldnt handle. For example, everyone had to call him Master " " even the parents that did not take lessons. Whenever people won trophies he would demand they bring them to the school and leave them there, of course this being part of his marketing ploy. He would yell at students, to the point of embarrasing them, he would slap students (kids), would yell at the parents, ect.--typical douche bag.

kaliace

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
You know I have a very good friend of mine that had a similar problem, my friend is quite talented, and in many ways says the same thing you said, if he would have stayed with him for a while or so he would have been so much better, but his then teacher's attitude. The guy he trained with was a 6th degree or something like that, and was legit, and was very talented, but the overall attitude he couldnt handle. For example, everyone had to call him Master " " even the parents that did not take lessons. Whenever people won trophies he would demand they bring them to the school and leave them there, of course this being part of his marketing ploy. He would yell at students, to the point of embarrasing them, he would slap students (kids), would yell at the parents, ect.--typical douche bag.

Slap his students???? If that were my child I know either the Instructor our I would be going to jail.

I have had a different version of this, the guy is terrible but he still thrives. It is a small town here and it is slim pickings for schools. Looking at what he does now and it is just a glorified babysitting service. I think there are only a handful of adult students; everyone else has realized what a fraud he is.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can anybody say ROADTRIP, I mean I would love to have him take me next door for a free haircut and then give me the first punch. I mean what a nice guy, we should all go and train him on how to be a true Martial Artist.
Terry

OP
K

Kenpobldr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just wanted to update eveyone that the child that recieved the buzz hair cut in my original post started class with us yesterday. It seemed that he had fun and adapted well into the class. Hopefully we can change a negative experience with martial arts into a positive.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Instructors who treat their students like that will end up losing more than their fair share of them. Usually, this means that the above instructor would enter financial ruin soon, since this is a business, after all.

Unfortunately, it seems that this character is one of the exceptions to the rule, and that he has some sort of cult-like influence over his followers (minions?). I hope that for the students' sake, this guy isn't another clone of Radford W. Davis...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpobldr said:
I just wanted to update eveyone that the child that recieved the buzz hair cut in my original post started class with us yesterday. It seemed that he had fun and adapted well into the class. Hopefully we can change a negative experience with martial arts into a positive.

Good!!! I wonder how he'll react to having a better example. Keep us posted!

:partyon:

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpobldr said:

Fantastic News!
:partyon:

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kenpobldr said:
One negative experience doesn't have to ruin this kid forever. I've seen kids who have switched from negative clubs where they flinched every time an instructor came near them to happy, outgoing, contributing kids in a new setting.

It is possible, just be patient and encouraging and the child will soon realise not all MA instructors are on ego trips.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck with your new student... keep us updated on the jerkwad, you mentioned that charges were brought up against him, so if you hear anything...

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:

A very similar character to a renowned (read infamous) martial arts instructor here in Denmark, who is head of the organisation our club used to be affiliated with, expected everyone students and none students alike, to address him as Sigung, both in the class, and out.
Likewise with the trophies, and physical bullying tactics against younger students.
Undoubtably a talented martial artist, but a terrible human being, who, incidentally, is also up on charges realting to some very shady financial aspects...

Latest Discussions