Boy allegedly forced to attend karate class in diaper

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are some bizarre people / parents out there. I don't get this at all.

http://www.news-leader.com/article/...r?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Special Reports|s

Two Rogersville women have been accused of punishing a 7-year-old boy to the point of felony abuse, in part by having him go to karate class in a diaper.
Documents describe the diaper, held up by duct tape, as the only thing he was wearing.
Webster County Court documents said one of the women, the child's mother Helen Ruth Brown, told investigators she put the diaper on the boy before he was taken to the Rogersville Karate School in March 2010. He apparently had been misbehaving.
Documents say a witness told police that the other woman, Lee Ann Howard, encouraged children at the school to laugh at the boy.

When I was younger, I worked at a convenience store and a man came by and made his kid stand in the parking lot with a sign on his front and back that said "I am a thief." I gathered that the kid had been caught shoplifting and the parents were called. This was dad's way of impressing on his son that stealing has consequences. But I'm not sure that the alleged event listed above is anything like that.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
As horrible as it sounds, I am relieved to read that it wasn't the dojo that made him show up or wear that in class. I had all the visions of Kobra Kai with fratboy hazing gone wrong.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As horrible as it sounds, I am relieved to read that it wasn't the dojo that made him show up or wear that in class. I had all the visions of Kobra Kai with fratboy hazing gone wrong.

I would have hoped that the sensei of said dojo would have prohibited it. The parents may set rules for their own child, but not in the dojo. I am not a sensei, nor do I own a dojo, but I would hope I would say "No, you're not doing that here. Our dress code requires a clean white gi to be worn on the floor."

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would have hoped that the sensei of said dojo would have prohibited it. The parents may set rules for their own child, but not in the dojo. I am not a sensei, nor do I own a dojo, but I would hope I would say "No, you're not doing that here. Our dress code requires a clean white gi to be worn on the floor."

LOL, in this sick little mind game, yes, a diaper is not proper training attire.

Poor kid.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Agreed. Not to mention stopping any ridiculing of a classmate, and having the offending parent attempting to encourage this behavior removed from the premises... probably permanently.

Latest Discussions