Another good day of training

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Today was another good day of training. My legs are still blown out from 2 days ago. I'll have to do some research to find out if there something mechanical that can work on the muscles of my leg. Worked on some jab defense drills and went over some concept lessons, and took it easy with some foot work drills.

Broke out the kicking pads today, I'm still moving at rehab speed but I push it just a little more each time, but nothing crazy. One day at a time.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Awesome to hear mate, sorry your legs aren't doing too great. Yeah just work around them as best as you can, and within pain free ranges. That's a win :)

I actually just ordered a massage gun for myself (if that's sorta what you mean), can't wait to see how it goes and wonder how it compares with good ol foam rolling etc.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Awesome to hear mate, sorry your legs aren't doing too great. Yeah just work around them as best as you can, and within pain free ranges. That's a win :)

I actually just ordered a massage gun for myself (if that's sorta what you mean), can't wait to see how it goes and wonder how it compares with good ol foam rolling etc.
Let me know how that massage gun works for you. I saw one yesterday and was about to do some research about it.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Today was another good day of training. My legs are still blown out from 2 days ago. I'll have to do some research to find out if there something mechanical that can work on the muscles of my leg. Worked on some jab defense drills and went over some concept lessons, and took it easy with some foot work drills.

Broke out the kicking pads today, I'm still moving at rehab speed but I push it just a little more each time, but nothing crazy. One day at a time.
Oh man, I have had days like that too. What were you doing to get your legs that way ?

Let me know how that massage gun works, Simon. I've taken to the foam roller and using Dr. Ho to get my muscles going again. Seems to be working but I am always looking for new methods to torture myself ;).

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh man, I have had days like that too. What were you doing to get your legs that way ?
I modified my brother-in-laws leg exercise (too much on my knees) which has jumping.

It's almost like this position but your back is straight as possible. I don't think it will ever be fully straight because of the balance requirements. The lead leg never bends below a 90 degree angle and you are only allowed to go 20-30 degrees more than the 90 degree angle, the smaller the raise the more difficult. From here you walk in this position with your back straight and not bent over. (I'll share a video once my legs return ) Here is how it works.
1619818016027.png

The lead leg pushes up no more than 30 more degrees than the 90 degree. Then you walk forward and lower yourself down to the 90 degree angle, then push up, walk forward (while in this position). So each step is like a mini-squat for the lead leg, while in in this position. You never fully stand up. I think my son and I must have done 50 yards of this on a slight incline and we broke it into pieces. Rest in between was self managed. No set time, but no more than 15 seconds. Just long enough to shake off some pain from the thighs and keep going. Each round covers the total distance then walk back to the beginning and do it again. So you walk 8ft rest - 9ft rest- 10ft rest and continue until you are done with all the rounds you commit yourself to.

Round 1: 8ft -> 9ft ->10ft - >10ft -> 10ft -> 7ft -> 5ft.
Round 2: 8ft -> 9ft ->10ft - >10ft -> 10ft -> 7ft -> 5ft.
Round 3: 8ft -> 9ft ->10ft - >10ft -> 10ft -> 7ft -> 5ft.
Round 4: 8ft -> 9ft ->10ft - >10ft -> 10ft -> 7ft -> 5ft.
Round 5: 8ft -> 9ft ->10ft - >10ft -> 10ft -> 7ft -> 5ft.

This is not a fast exercise, Go slow but not too slow. Like slow casual walk speed. You want to keep the leg muscles engaged. Which is why you don't rise too high. Going to low is no good for the knees. Keep the correct angle and you'll feel it in your thighs..

The Ultimate goal is to go the distance without the short breaks. When my legs get stronger, I'll do 8f + 9ft and then the smaller sections.. As my legs get stronger then I'll add another sections. It's better not to lean forward like a wrestler on this one. It's will strengthen thighs and lower back. If you feel weight on your knees then you have to shift the weight more towards the heels.

Not sure if I described a clear picture of it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I modified my brother-in-laws leg exercise (too much on my knees) which has jumping.

It's almost like this position but your back is straight as possible. I don't think it will ever be fully straight because of the balance requirements. The lead leg never bends below a 90 degree angle and you are only allowed to go 20-30 degrees more than the 90 degree angle, the smaller the raise the more difficult. From here you walk in this position with your back straight and not bent over. (I'll share a video once my legs return ) Here is how it works.
View attachment 26658

The lead leg pushes up no more than 30 more degrees than the 90 degree. Then you walk forward and lower yourself down to the 90 degree angle, then push up, walk forward (while in this position). So each step is like a mini-squat for the lead leg, while in in this position. You never fully stand up. I think my son and I must have done 50 yards of this on a slight incline and we broke it into pieces. Rest in between was self managed. No set time, but no more than 15 seconds. Just long enough to shake off some pain from the thighs and keep going. Each round covers the total distance then walk back to the beginning and do it again. So you walk 8ft rest - 9ft rest- 10ft rest and continue until you are done with all the rounds you commit yourself to.

Round 1: 8ft -> 9ft ->10ft - >10ft -> 10ft -> 7ft -> 5ft.
Round 2: 8ft -> 9ft ->10ft - >10ft -> 10ft -> 7ft -> 5ft.
Round 3: 8ft -> 9ft ->10ft - >10ft -> 10ft -> 7ft -> 5ft.
Round 4: 8ft -> 9ft ->10ft - >10ft -> 10ft -> 7ft -> 5ft.
Round 5: 8ft -> 9ft ->10ft - >10ft -> 10ft -> 7ft -> 5ft.

This is not a fast exercise, Go slow but not too slow. Like slow casual walk speed. You want to keep the leg muscles engaged. Which is why you don't rise too high. Going to low is no good for the knees. Keep the correct angle and you'll feel it in your thighs..

The Ultimate goal is to go the distance without the short breaks. When my legs get stronger, I'll do 8f + 9ft and then the smaller sections.. As my legs get stronger then I'll add another sections. It's better not to lean forward like a wrestler on this one. It's will strengthen thighs and lower back. If you feel weight on your knees then you have to shift the weight more towards the heels.

Not sure if I described a clear picture of it.
so what you've done is invent a silly walk, 5hats so silly you cant walk 50ft with out frequent rests and cant walk normaly for days later, sounds like a good plan, perhaps a,suggestion, make it less silly to begin with, then increase the silliness over time as your body acclimatises to the,sillyness

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What were you doing to get your legs that way ?
It's similar to the walking lunge, but the legs aren't as far apart. Your legs will take a functional fighting stance like the wrestler, and your back will be straight like the video below. This way I can work out a functional stance and the muscles that support a functional stance. The walking lunges in the video below are easier. Because you engage the muscle then disengage the muscle with every step (when he straightens the legs). They way that I describe it keeps the muscle engaged. The pace of the walk is a little slower than what you see in the video. The longer I can use use the muscle through the lift and walk process the better.

I also stretch my arms out as if I'm trying to defend against someone coming in or as if I'm pushing a box with my arms slightly bent (think long guard).

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
so what you've done is invent a silly walk, 5hats so silly you cant walk 50ft with out frequent rests and cant walk normaly for days later, sounds like a good plan, perhaps a,suggestion, make it less silly to begin with, then increase the silliness over time as your body acclimatises to the,sillyness
I've made a request to rename the ignore feature to the Jobo button.

Kemposhot

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Let me know how that massage gun works, Simon. I've taken to the foam roller and using Dr. Ho to get my muscles going again. Seems to be working but I am always looking for new methods to torture myself ;).
I’ve found the foam roller to be one of the better training supplements. Though it’s time consuming for me at least. I’ll often take 20-30 minutes pre workout to roll out the legs, however, after that my legs feel great even after a strenuous workout.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've made a request to rename the ignore feature to the Jobo button.
I'm, rather tongue in cheek, giving you good advice

first decided if this very unnatural movement has any real world carry over, just coz it extremly difficult doesnt mean it has

then consider if there is a more efficient and slightly less ridicules way of getting the same benifit, which I think their probebly is, considering the number of atheletes that do that is quite low

and then if you've decided yes and no, at least have the sence tto build it up over time muscles that are blown out for days is a,sure clue, that your training methodology has failed and yiuve damaged yourself, which is not a great idea at anytime and certainly not at your advanced age

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
first decided if this very unnatural movement has any real world carry over, just coz it extremly difficult doesnt mean it has
It has use.
1. Builds leg muscle and in endurance at that position
2. It's used in the form. Our forms have a lot of up and down movement and low stances. One is a stance that looks like that one. It's in both open hand and staff form.
3. It conditions the legs and movement for low stances.
and then if you've decided yes and no, at least have the sence tto build it up over time muscles that are blown out for days
We had no idea that soreness would as bad as it was. The day of the exercises, our legs just felt tired and burned out. Which is normal for some of our forms and exercises. It wasn't until the next day that reality hit "we did too many"

The good news is that as of yesterday legs are fine, walking down the steps are fine. My son's legs are fine as well. 5 day healing time. We were still able to train other things. It starts all over again tomorrow (the leg training)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It has use.
1. Builds leg muscle and in endurance at that position
2. It's used in the form. Our forms have a lot of up and down movement and low stances. One is a stance that looks like that one. It's in both open hand and staff form.
3. It conditions the legs and movement for low stances.

We had no idea that soreness would as bad as it was. The day of the exercises, our legs just felt tired and burned out. Which is normal for some of our forms and exercises. It wasn't until the next day that reality hit "we did too many"

The good news is that as of yesterday legs are fine, walking down the steps are fine. My son's legs are fine as well. 5 day healing time. We were still able to train other things. It starts all over again tomorrow (the leg training)
I cant help thinking your using unnatural movment to build the strengh to do an unnatural stance that'sof no real world benefit , which is some what circular logic on your part, but still , at least there is some logic in it
.why not just as an exercise, jump in to the 20th century and see if there is a better way increasing leg strengh?

doibg it again and wrecking your legs again is not the fastest way forward, if what ever your doing hasnt fully resolved its self in 24 hours, certainly fully functional in no less than 48, then your doing to much, you also seem to ve encouraging a child to join you in this folly

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
doibg it again and wrecking your legs again is not the fastest way forward, if what ever your doing hasnt fully resolved its self in 24 hours, certainly fully functional in no less than 48, then your doing to much, you also seem to ve encouraging a child to join you in this folly
My son and I will be OK. This is what we were experiencing.

From WebMD Source: Sore Spots: 5 Ways to Ease Post-Workout Muscles

"If yesterday’s workout is making your muscles scream today, take it as a good sign. You most likely have "delayed onset muscle soreness" (DOMS), and it means you worked hard enough to create tiny tears in your muscle fibers.

It can happen when you bump up your workout intensity, frequency, or length, or when you try a new activity. As your muscles heal, they’ll get bigger and stronger, paving the way to the next level of fitness.

The DOMS usually kicks in 12 to 24 hours after a tough workout and peaks between 24 to 72 hours. The soreness will go away in a few days. In the meantime, these tricks may help ease the pain."

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My son and I will be OK. This is what we were experiencing.

From WebMD Source: Sore Spots: 5 Ways to Ease Post-Workout Muscles

"If yesterday’s workout is making your muscles scream today, take it as a good sign. You most likely have "delayed onset muscle soreness" (DOMS), and it means you worked hard enough to create tiny tears in your muscle fibers.

It can happen when you bump up your workout intensity, frequency, or length, or when you try a new activity. As your muscles heal, they’ll get bigger and stronger, paving the way to the next level of fitness.

The DOMS usually kicks in 12 to 24 hours after a tough workout and peaks between 24 to 72 hours. The soreness will go away in a few days. In the meantime, these tricks may help ease the pain."
I think you may need to consult a sports performance coach rather than random #### on the internet, there is a marked difference from sensations in your muscles and not being able to walk down stairs

this is what over enthusiastic beginners do, likely coz they read $$$$ on the internet.

overload recovery over load is a progressive thing, you need precisely enough exercise to trigger adaptation any more is at best wasted effort, when that adaptation has taken place you are sronger and ready to go again,if you body is taking a,week to recover from damage, that's a six days to get back where it was and a day for the adaptation, that the speed at which your body can actually increase its capabilities, that means you've wasted the opertunity, to have two other adaptation periods, ie you've lost two thirds of the progress you could have made, by having to repair unnecessary damage

that is not generally the way atheletes train, which is centred around continual small improvements, rather than busting themselves and limping for a week

and even mire so, the bulk of ibcrease in muscle size doesnt not come from micro tears and the bulk of strengh ibcrease does not come from an increase in muscle size, it like your stuck in the 1950s

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you may need to consult a sports performance coach rather than random #### on the internet, there is a marked difference from sensations in your muscles and not being able to walk down stairs

this is what over enthusiastic beginners do, likely coz they read $$$$ on the internet.

overload recovery over load is a progressive thing, you need precisely enough exercise to trigger adaptation any more is at best wasted effort, when that adaptation has taken place you are sronger and ready to go again,if you body is taking a,week to recover from damage, that's a six days to get back where it was and a day for the adaptation, that the speed at which your body can actually increase its capabilities, that means you've wasted the opertunity, to have two other adaptation periods, ie you've lost two thirds of the progress you could have made, by having to repair unnecessary damage

that is not generally the way atheletes train, which is centred around continual small improvements, rather than busting themselves and limping for a week
Definitely not consulting with a sports performance coach on this issue. Only to have them tell me the same thing that I just posted. I had 3 years of sports medicine 6 year training as a competitive athlete and being coached by performance coaches during that time and they all say the same thing that I posted.

From the University of Deleaware: Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness: What We Know and What We Don't (Emphasis on Don't) | BMEG442: Engineering Exercise and Sports

"Muscle soreness, more specifically delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is common in athletes of all levels of expertise. It occurs after performing a training activity that is unfamiliar. This could be activities than an athlete has not performed in a few months, activities they’ve never performed before, or even simply an intensity level or duration of exercise that they don’t normally reach, despite performing that exercise regularly. These unfamiliar activities, also known as eccentric training, are known to induce severe muscle soreness characterized by increasing intensity of symptoms beginning as late as 24-48 hours after exercise and lasting for days."

From the American College of Sports Medicine: Source: https://www.acsm.org/docs/default-s...-muscle-soreness-(doms).pdf?sfvrsn=8f430e18_2

"Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS)Any type of activity that places unaccustomed loads on muscle may lead to delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). This type of soreness is different from acute soreness, which is pain that develops during the actual activity. Delayed soreness typically begins to develop 12-24hours after the exercise has been performed and may produce the greatest pain between 24-72 hours after the exercise has been performed. While origins of the soreness and accompanying symptoms are complex, it is well-established that many types of physical activity can cause delayed soreness. Most believe soreness develops as a result of microscopic damage tomuscle fibers involved the exercise. This type of damage likely results from novel stresses that were experienced during the exercise. One common misconception about DOMS is that it is due to lactic acid accumulation, but lactic acid is not a component of this process. DOMS appears to be a side effect of the repair process that develops in response to microscopic muscle damage.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Definitely not consulting with a sports performance coach on this issue. Only to have them tell me the same thing that I just posted. I had 3 years of sports medicine 6 year training as a competitive athlete and being coached by performance coaches during that time and they all say the same thing that I posted.

From the University of Deleaware: Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness: What We Know and What We Don't (Emphasis on Don't) | BMEG442: Engineering Exercise and Sports

"Muscle soreness, more specifically delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is common in athletes of all levels of expertise. It occurs after performing a training activity that is unfamiliar. This could be activities than an athlete has not performed in a few months, activities they’ve never performed before, or even simply an intensity level or duration of exercise that they don’t normally reach, despite performing that exercise regularly. These unfamiliar activities, also known as eccentric training, are known to induce severe muscle soreness characterized by increasing intensity of symptoms beginning as late as 24-48 hours after exercise and lasting for days."

From the American College of Sports Medicine: Source: https://www.acsm.org/docs/default-s...-muscle-soreness-(doms).pdf?sfvrsn=8f430e18_2

"Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS)Any type of activity that places unaccustomed loads on muscle may lead to delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). This type of sorenessis different from acute soreness, which is pain that develops during the actual activity. Delayed soreness typically begins to develop 12-24hours after the exercise has been performed and may produce the greatest pain between 24-72 hours after the exercise has been performed. While origins of the soreness andaccompanying symptoms are complex, itis well-established that many types ofphysical activity can cause delayedsoreness. Most believe soreness developsas a result of microscopic damage tomuscle fibers involved the exercise. Thistype of damage likely results from novelstresses that were experienced during theexercise. One common misconceptionabout DOMS is that it is due to lactic acidaccumulation, but lactic acid is not acomponent of this process. DOMSappears to be a side effect of the repairprocess that develops in response tomicroscopic muscle damage.
I would say that anybody who has engaged in rigorous exercise such as what is/should be in the martial arts, will have experienced this often enough to recognize it for what it is, and not have need of professional medical advice.

But if you suspect that you actually injured yourself, however, that is a different matter.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

and even mire so, the bulk of ibcrease in muscle size doesnt not come from micro tears and the bulk of strengh ibcrease does not come from an increase in muscle size, it like your stuck in the 1950s
I know you mean well and wouldn't bother stating your concerns if you didn't care and I appreciate that, but I will be fine. I haven't gone to crazy town yet lol. Well not in a few months at least lol.

Latest Discussions