Animated Dojo Discussion

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mark L said:
One of the areas that concerns me in my training is how far I would go if the encounter went to the ground. We train to submission, otherwise there would be a lot of injuries. I apply submission techniques until the other guy taps, could this be a reasonable approach on the street? Is it realistic to apply a hold and demand surrender, or else?

I have many more questions than answers. Good discussion ...
In the Ju Jitsu Method I'm trained in that is a resounding, emphatic............NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL. No it's not realistic to demand a surrender. All the guy has to do is say "Yes, I give up" Then resume fighting when you let go. Then you have to fight again. I was taught that concession holds are only such in practice so that you have someone to practice with tomorrow. In the street if I felt the need to go to the concession hold I was taught to execute the hold in it's entirety (i.e. break the limb) then transition to another hold down in an attempt to regain a standing position. I have seen that alot of Ju-Jitsu/Submission Grappling practitioners can only do three of the 4 basic combos well and it disturbs me.

4 Basic Combos of Ground Grappling

1. Position-to-Position
2. Postition-to-Submission
3. Submission-to-Submission
4. Submission-to-Position -this is often the problem area and is what I was taught almost always follows a submission in a street encounter to prevent possible retaliation after you disengage the lock.

Short Version - No surrender once the fight has started unless you're fighting an "honorable assailant" who will concede, end the conflict and not return for vengeance. Just get your vest handy after he quits. :)

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
First off, I'd like to say, that despite the disagreeing that we do, which of course, is natural, that I'm happy to see that this thread is still staying civil! :asian:
Mike
OK now that you've succeeded in jinxing this thread I guess I have to start some trouble. I'M RIGHT WHOEVER DISAGREES IS WRONG AND NEEDS TO TRAIN HARDER!!!! Does that count as civil? LOL Good thread guys keep it going.

Respectfully,
James

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
In the Ju Jitsu Method I'm trained in that is a resounding, emphatic............NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL. No it's not realistic to demand a surrender. All the guy has to do is say "Yes, I give up" Then resume fighting when you let go. Then you have to fight again. I was taught that concession holds are only such in practice so that you have someone to practice with tomorrow. In the street if I felt the need to go to the concession hold I was taught to execute the hold in it's entirety (i.e. break the limb) then transition to another hold down in an attempt to regain a standing position. I have seen that alot of Ju-Jitsu/Submission Grappling practitioners can only do three of the 4 basic combos well and it disturbs me.

4 Basic Combos of Ground Grappling

1. Position-to-Position
2. Postition-to-Submission
3. Submission-to-Submission
4. Submission-to-Position -this is often the problem area and is what I was taught almost always follows a submission in a street encounter to prevent possible retaliation after you disengage the lock.

Short Version - No surrender once the fight has started unless you're fighting an "honorable assailant" who will concede, end the conflict and not return for vengeance. Just get your vest handy after he quits. :)
Good post that is a point I forgot to bring up.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
OK now that you've succeeded in jinxing this thread I guess I have to start some trouble. I'M RIGHT WHOEVER DISAGREES IS WRONG AND NEEDS TO TRAIN HARDER!!!! Does that count as civil? LOL Good thread guys keep it going.

Respectfully,
James
The problem is that when I train harder I become more wrong. LOL thanks for the keeping the discussion good James.
thanks,
Joe

Latest Discussions