Animal Planet

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My biggest lament is why couldn't we have learned to domesticate the Bison that roamed in the millions across this country instead of slaughtering them. Sigh
It has been argued before (and I tend to agree) that domesticating the herds of bison on the american plains was not an option considered by the U.S. gov't as the dessication of the herds was not for food but for control of the food source most important to native americans. I've seen documentaries with old photos that show thousands of carcasses of bison just laying in the fields, rotting after being shot and skinned by fur traders and others. The gov't believed that with out the bison for a food source and a source of so many of the things that were made from different parts of it that the native americans would be easier to control. I'm 1/2 apache and this little piece of history really pisses me off.:soapbox:
An unfortunate state of affairs also is that the "activists" often so busy trying to be unique and special that they miss the point, and don't connect with the general public
Good point! One of the reactions that I kinda expected from this thread would be someone referring to me as a PETA head;) That's not the case at all. I was raised in the mountains here in Virginia by folks that were more in touch with the ways of nature and how to live within it than most extremists can ever imagine.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Much props to Paul, MAC, N'gale, letch, and Adam for those postings. Its good to see people with a modicum of emotion, but a ton of reason and logic.

As for the car thing. Elec. cars aren't perfect but they are sooo much better then what is out there now. They eliminate the grip of the oil companies, allow the drain on fossil fuels to be evenly dispersed and run much more efficiently than gasolene fueled vehicles. The pollution of the refineries isn't solved, but right now every car is a small factory spewing VOC gases.The problem is getting people to actually trust, buy and use anything new (and to get soccer moms to realize that SUVS aren't really more safe and some guys to stop compensating form their. . ugh. . .size by buying an SUV when they don't need one).

Originally posted by theletch1
It has been argued before (and I tend to agree) that domesticating the herds of bison on the american plains was not an option considered by the U.S. gov't as the dessication of the herds was not for food but for control of the food source most important to native americans. I've seen documentaries with old photos that show thousands of carcasses of bison just laying in the fields, rotting after being shot and skinned by fur traders and others. The gov't believed that with out the bison for a food source and a source of so many of the things that were made from different parts of it that the native americans would be easier to control. I'm 1/2 apache and this little piece of history really pisses me off.:soapbox: Good point! One of the reactions that I kinda expected from this thread would be someone referring to me as a PETA head;) That's not the case at all. I was raised in the mountains here in Virginia by folks that were more in touch with the ways of nature and how to live within it than most extremists can ever imagine.

I don't think you have to worry to much about someone stomping on your views. MOST people here seem to be understanding, tolerant and openminded. I know I try to be.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my concern over the electric vehicles is their limited range. I looked into a hybrid, but the added mileage isn't cost effective enough to compensate for the additional cost of the vehicle itself. As much as I want to be environmentally conscious, hybrids are just too darn expensive for me right now. so, I decided to take the train to work instead, which is much better for the environment, and much nicer for me, because its a shorter commute, and I don't have the stress of sitting in traffic!

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by theletch1
It has been argued before (and I tend to agree) that domesticating the herds of bison on the american plains was not an option considered by the U.S. gov't as the dessication of the herds was not for food but for control of the food source most important to native americans. I've seen documentaries with old photos that show thousands of carcasses of bison just laying in the fields, rotting after being shot and skinned by fur traders and others. The gov't believed that with out the bison for a food source and a source of so many of the things that were made from different parts of it that the native americans would be easier to control. I'm 1/2 apache and this little piece of history really pisses me off.:soapbox:
It pisses me off too, and my Great Grandparents were all imigrants, so I have no Native Blood that I know of (a large part of my heritage is unknown though, but it is still unlikely). My fiance is part Cherokee though.
Good point! One of the reactions that I kinda expected from this thread would be someone referring to me as a PETA head;) That's not the case at all. I was raised in the mountains here in Virginia by folks that were more in touch with the ways of nature and how to live within it than most extremists can ever imagine.
heh....I am still learning!

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nightingale
my concern over the electric vehicles is their limited range. I looked into a hybrid, but the added mileage isn't cost effective enough to compensate for the additional cost of the vehicle itself. As much as I want to be environmentally conscious, hybrids are just too darn expensive for me right now. so, I decided to take the train to work instead, which is much better for the environment, and much nicer for me, because its a shorter commute, and I don't have the stress of sitting in traffic!

What do you mean by range? When I looked into hybrids they were comparable in price and far superior in milage. The only downsides were lack of power (could be worse than a three banger) and no confidence in an untested system (not to mention that crappy design that the first commercial hybid had). I had heard that the battery packs need to be replaced in 5-7yrs. and that the cost of replacing them was about $2000.

Latest Discussions